Help! Can I add fpv to the FT night radian and would it work well with a VFrSky S8R?

I fly fpv drones and I was wondering if that combo would be a good starter plane. I already have fpv gear and I want a plane with fpv, lights, and for it to be a glider.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I would want to know flight times, seems like 2200mah battery max, small fuse would limit the FPV equipment you can use

In my opinion FPV craft need to be big enough to also carry a flight controller with "return to home feature" or the first time you fly out of video range you loose your aircraft, you cant see it in the sky your too far away and no video on screen .....so RTH saves your @ss
twocents.gif

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i fly my radian with an simple wolfwhoop 200mW camera all the time. i mount it back on the top of the vertical stab and it gives a wonderful view of the whole plane and everything else. it is one of my favorite fpv platforms for just chill flying. you can fly as long as the battery lasts. i designed and 3D printed a special case to hold the camera. if you have a printer i will send you the .stl file, or i can dig in my 3D print box, i bet i have several spares if you want one.

i never fly farther than line of sight so i don't care about the RTH functions.

laters,

me :cool:

i fly my radian with an simple wolfwhoop 200mW camera all the time. i mount it back on the top of the vertical stab and it gives a wonderful view of the whole plane and everything else. it is one of my favorite fpv platforms for just chill flying. you can fly as long as the battery lasts. i designed and 3D printed a special case to hold the camera. if you have a printer i will send you the .stl file, or i can dig in my 3D print box, i bet i have several spares if you want one.

i never fly farther than line of sight so i don't care about the RTH functions.

laters,

How much static and break up is their when using an AIO vs a normal set up

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I would want to know flight times, seems like 2200mah battery max, small fuse would limit the FPV equipment you can use

In my opinion FPV craft need to be big enough to also carry a flight controller with "return to home feature" or the first time you fly out of video range you loose your aircraft, you cant see it in the sky your too far away and no video on screen .....so RTH saves your @ss
View attachment 169549

I don't necessarily buy into RTH being a necessity. I mean, if you've got a spotter (and really, you should if for nothing else than to help you identify where people/boundaries/other planes are that your camera can't see), you should be good, especially with a glider.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member

i get very little static or breakup but i am also clear out in the dez with not much else around to interfere. typically when i fly this way, there are several other people who grab their goggles just to sit and chill watching it is so relaxing.

good luck,

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
In my part of the world, RTH or a OSD that points the way home is a necessity.
It’s so easy to get lost in the ocean of corn.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
HA! thats funny, most spotters I have used didnt know where the plane was when I asked, just to test them.....ahhhhh just a minute I was looking at a Bald Eagle....the cloud looked like a pony....sorry I was looking at your cattle.
does your spotter know how far by sight your going to run out of range? its real easy to fly and become so immersed you fly out of radio range

dont buy into RTH, but think of how many guys want or already use a plug and play flight controller for that OH $hite button...what you maybe miss is ..think of RTH as an OH $hite button... its easier to get disoriented from the FPV view for newbies than LOS and people still crash their stuff LOS, that safety net is reassuring with $500-1000 worth expensive quality longe range and FPV equipment we have in our aircraft....

some people dont want to crash their $100 plane....... so for some $40 for FC with RTH an OH $hite button if you will, is cheap insurance and the flight controllers have many other useful features..
so its good that you brought up you dont buy into it because now some newer members will have a different outlook at the return to home feature as long as your a couple mistakes high enough the FC will get you out of trouble when your disoriented the plane is upside down going the wrong way maybe you dont really know......flick a switch it will fly back to you and circle overhead till your composed again....cheap insurance for $40

Last edited:

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I have had a few AIO with 200mw and they all seemed to begin to loose signal at a 1/4 mile, my 600mw tx setup is crystal clear at the same distance and up to a couple miles, my 1 watt tx is crystal clear at 7 miles and I can go farther, but I havent gone any farther I stay on my properties checking livestock

its like most everything we get what we pay for