Can I charge 4 lipos properly with a 6in1 parallel cable or do I need 6 lipos exact?

Dali748

Hi,

I'm starting to get into this hobby with a Blade Nano CPx, and I just had general question regarding parallel charging.

I purchased the following 6-in-1 parallel cable and I have the following 4 LiPos that I purchased too; would I be able to charge only 4 LiPos on this cable or do I need the exact number of LiPos for this to work properly?

PH1.25 Plug Connector Plug (6-in-1 to xt60):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153907805903
LiPos:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772GWWJY/?tag=lstir-20

I also purchased the "ISDT Q8 Battgo Touchscreen Lipo Battery Charger" to use with this cable and lipos.

Thank you!

quorneng

Master member
I may be wrong but as far as I can tell the single cell batteries are connected in series so in effect it becomes a 6s LiPo. All the cells have to be connected for it to work and you have to tell the charger it is balance charging a 6s. It point this out in red on the 6 in 1 cable web site.

If you connect say 4 cells you will have to connect the LiPos to the correct sequence of plugs and also tell the charger it was now a 4s battery. It should then work.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I may be wrong but as far as I can tell the single cell batteries are connected in series so in effect it becomes a 6s LiPo. All the cells have to be connected for it to work and you have to tell the charger it is balance charging a 6s. It point this out in red on the 6 in 1 cable web site.

If you connect say 4 cells you will have to connect the LiPos to the correct sequence of plugs and also tell the charger it was now a 4s battery. It should then work.
These chargers don't charge in series, they charge in parallel. Here's a video

quorneng

Master member
"Corpse"
Those in the video are not single cell batteries. They have to be wired in parallel.
The 6 in 1 cable for single cell batteries that Dali748 is using are wired in series. This means the six individual cells behave like a single 6s battery. Each cell is then individually balanced. All the cells must be connected or the charger will simply assume a 'dead' connection and will not function.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
@quorneng is correct

I assumed OP bought a multi battery balance cable like he said to accompany his new balance charger..... thats what he was asking about and how many batteries can he plug in his balance charger system, but after going to read the details of his "balance" cable.............. he did infact buy a series cable and it will require all batteries to be plugged in

personally I would take that cable apart and re solder it up so that all red wires go to red and all black go to black so you have an actual balance cable so your not forced to charge all at the same time....or go buy another battery if you loose or damage one.

Last edited:

Dali748

Oh ok, so I do need to have 6 x 1S batteries all plugged in to his 6-in-1 cable to work then because the cable I purchased in the image below is a "series" cable?

s-l1600.png

I came across this YouTube that explains "series" vs "parallel" charging cables a little better.

So would i need to buy something like the item in the link below to be able to do "parallel" charging so I can plug up to 6 batteries and won't need 6 batteries exactly?

https://kadosmultirotors.com/products/1s-parallel-charging-board-with-xt60-connector

Thank you!

quorneng

Master member
That is a true parallel adaptor so it charge 1 or any number up to 6 single cell batteries.:)
Remember with 6 batteries plugged in the charge current will need to be 6 times the amps required to charge one battery. Can your charger handle that?

Dali748

That is a true parallel adaptor so it charge 1 or any number up to 6 single cell batteries.:)
Remember with 6 batteries plugged in the charge current will need to be 6 times the amps required to charge one battery. Can your charger handle that?

Hi, you mean the one I purchased is a "true parallel adapter" or the one in the link below?

https://kadosmultirotors.com/products/1s-parallel-charging-board-with-xt60-connector

I purchased these "4pcs x 250mAh 1S 3.7V 30C" lipos so I believe this "ISDT Q8 Battgo Touchscreen Lipo Battery Charger" that I purchased could handle it.

Thank you, again!

quorneng

Master member
The parallel charging board you linked to is what you want, however with a max charging current of 20 Amps your Q8 is considerably over specified for charging little 1s batteries but no problem.
For your 4 the charge current should set at 1 A ( i.e. 250 mA per battery) to be kind to those little LIPo.

Dali748

Thank you for the replies!

I ended up buying this "parallel" cable for jst-pico but after looking at the video below should this "parallel" cable have a "balanced" cable too this way it charges all lipos properly?

https://www.progressiverc.com/parallel-6x-pico-charge-cable.html

Maybe I'm better off using the "serial" cable I purchased below that does come with a "balanced" cable and just makes sure I use with all lipos plugged in?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PH1-25-Plu...ger-Cable-Compatible-with-PH1-25/153907805903

"Corpse"

Legendary member
"Corpse"
Those in the video are not single cell batteries. They have to be wired in parallel.
The 6 in 1 cable for single cell batteries that Dali748 is using are wired in series. This means the six individual cells behave like a single 6s battery. Each cell is then individually balanced. All the cells must be connected or the charger will simply assume a 'dead' connection and will not function.
Thanks! I've never seen that before. I don't know why you would wire it in series, but ok.;)

quorneng

Master member
Dali748
If you are charging 1s batteries in parallel you can't balance charge. The charger only 'sees' one single cell battery. All it can do is charge and stop when the voltage rises to 4.2 volts. As the batteries are connected in parallel they are in effect balanced.
Series charging 6 x 1s batteries means the chargers 'sees' a 6s (22.2V) battery. It then needs a balance plug so it can adjust the charge to each cell independently to avoid putting more than 4.2V into any one cell.

Parallel charging 250 mAh 1s batteries is quite normal. Just ensure you keep the charge rate to no more than 250 mAh per cell connected.

Dali748

Dali748
If you are charging 1s batteries in parallel you can't balance charge. The charger only 'sees' one single cell battery. All it can do is charge and stop when the voltage rises to 4.2 volts. As the batteries are connected in parallel they are in effect balanced.
Series charging 6 x 1s batteries means the chargers 'sees' a 6s (22.2V) battery. It then needs a balance plug so it can adjust the charge to each cell independently to avoid putting more than 4.2V into any one cell.

Parallel charging 250 mAh 1s batteries is quite normal. Just ensure you keep the charge rate to no more than 250 mAh per cell connected.

Thank you for the reply, this explains it a lot better!

So with "parallel" charging I've been reading it increases the capacity but voltage stays the same, so if I have 5 x 250 mAh 1S batteries that means I can safely charge at 1.25 A ( 5*250 / 1000) on a "parallel" cable?

And with a "series" charging cable, the voltage increases but the capacity stays the same.

Slowly starting to get the hang of this, the more I read and get help from the forums! :) Lol.