Can I even get parts for this

thumbs1

I bought a Futaba 6EXAP years ago and I mean years ago. Probably close to 40 years ago. I bought it new and after a bad exp with a plane I kinda put it in storage. I got it out a few years ago and have been flying scratch built foamies for a few years with it. This is an old crystal set 72mh old. Can I even get receivers for this thing? I probably should buy a "modern" radio but they are so hitech I really don't know where to start. I read the thread about your first transmitters but it just sounded like bla bla bla to me. Don't get me wrong everyone was trying very hard to help but it was way to technical for me. Anyway I'm thinking if I can still get receivers for this thing it may be the way to go. Idono

thanks

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I know your problem and I still have an old 36MHz Tx and a few Rxs here but to be honest you are seriously better off just biting the bullet and buy a newer radio system. Sure you will find some are so high tech that they can require almost a uni degree to set them up but then others are so smart that they are logical and easy to use.

If you buy a new system just get one that has a dual antenna Rx as the radio signals do not reflect as well at the higher frequencies and polarisation losses can cause crashes with a single antenna Rx. I use the Turnigy, (HK version), of the FrSky iA6 (6 channel radio) and the Rxs are so cheep and the radio itself so inexpensive that you could basically buy one for the same price as a single or a pair of 72MHz Rxs assuming you could find them in the first place. With a range which maxes out at around 1K it is quite suitable for all but the long range and high altitude flying.

I now have 20 Rxs to go with mine and about 25 planes which I fly.

Programming is possible but it actually more like just setting thins as you want them. You can use its full features or just as you did on your original system. The radio has the ability to support 20 different models and so all of the trim settings, channel reverses and the like are remembered for each model slot. No more need to adjust or recentre trims between models and a lesser requirement to infinitely adjust the model control surfaces to enable the trim levers to be or remain centralised.

I started over 40 years ago myself and I really DO NOT miss the limitations of the older equipment but I am not a fully wrapped up in the tech for its own sake. To me the enjoyment of flying is more important than the ability to fully exploit every feature of the radio systems.

If you wish to continue with the old gear I wish you good luck in finding compatible Rxs at a good price.

Have fun!

thumbs1

I know your problem and I still have an old 36MHz Tx and a few Rxs here but to be honest you are seriously better off just biting the bullet and buy a newer radio system. Sure you will find some are so high tech that they can require almost a uni degree to set them up but then others are so smart that they are logical and easy to use.

If you buy a new system just get one that has a dual antenna Rx as the radio signals do not reflect as well at the higher frequencies and polarisation losses can cause crashes with a single antenna Rx. I use the Turnigy, (HK version), of the FrSky iA6 (6 channel radio) and the Rxs are so cheep and the radio itself so inexpensive that you could basically buy one for the same price as a single or a pair of 72MHz Rxs assuming you could find them in the first place. With a range which maxes out at around 1K it is quite suitable for all but the long range and high altitude flying.

I now have 20 Rxs to go with mine and about 25 planes which I fly.

Programming is possible but it actually more like just setting thins as you want them. You can use its full features or just as you did on your original system. The radio has the ability to support 20 different models and so all of the trim settings, channel reverses and the like are remembered for each model slot. No more need to adjust or recentre trims between models and a lesser requirement to infinitely adjust the model control surfaces to enable the trim levers to be or remain centralised.

I started over 40 years ago myself and I really DO NOT miss the limitations of the older equipment but I am not a fully wrapped up in the tech for its own sake. To me the enjoyment of flying is more important than the ability to fully exploit every feature of the radio systems.

If you wish to continue with the old gear I wish you good luck in finding compatible Rxs at a good price.

Have fun!
Thanks Yeah I figured as much in trying to fine and RX that will work. I only have one, the original that came with the radio. i think it came with five or six servos the Rx and transmitter. As I remember it wasn't cheap. Considering the times. Probably close to 250 bucks then.
When I comes to the transmitter I would like to be able to have flaperons. I actually fly mostly three channel but have a couple of four channels I have hanging around ready to give a try. I do have a quadcopter I would like to be able to bind with a transmitter. Other than that a transmitter with reasonably priced and readily available reciever's with good support is probably all I need.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Good support? That is something almost a rare as your originally sought Rx. Under law you will get a warranty which normally means a long wait for a replacement unit. Welcome to the "Disposable" age!

The Radio system I am using currently does have the ability to be setup for either plane or helicopter but I do not know about Quads. Perhaps someone else could chime in with their knowledge in that area.

I think currently the system I use sells for around $50 USD at Hobby King and comes with a single 5 channel Rx, (included). Additional Rxs are sub $10 from memory and the system does support telemetry not that I use it.

Have fun!

thumbs1

Ha I heard that. I'm an ole guy. I mean ole. Haven't had much luck with Chinese stuff. I know hard to fine anything else but their quality control is a bit lacking. I was actually thinking about the Spectrum DX6 but it has so many variations I'll have to take a course to figure them out. I'll see if I can find that radio your talking about. Yeah two ways of looking at it. If I knew by spending more money I would get a better built radio that would be one thing.

thumbs1

I thought I posted the post above last night but I guess I didn't

Anyway found the Turnigy radio. Like you said seems like its a Flysky i6. Anyway trying to get as much info as I can and looking at as many of the youtube as I can. Just pretty confusing actually. I see the receivers are ppm, not a clue. Do I just pug in the way I do with my old setup? Will I require any other equipment to run this thing? Are these the extra recievers your talking about? https://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-W...mmds=detail-bottom-alsobought__3#tab-t-review

thanks