Can we please explain the plural of aircraft to certain vendors???

earthsciteach

This is a pet peeve of mine. When I see it, it burrows under my skin like a red bug (jigger, if you prefer).

I have tried. I've even attempted to educate these folks via facebook posts. It worked temporarily for Nitroplanes. But, then they reverted to their poor grammatical ways.

PLEASE, PLEASE, for the love of God, PLEASE, someone teach these people that the plural of aircraft is NOT aircrafts! The plural of aircraft is, aircraft. Its really that simple.

Pete at Banana Hobby, Tony and crew at Nitroplanes, people at Rhobbies, and anyone else struggling with the English language - please know that one aircraft is an aircraft. Two or more aircraft are also aircraft. No need for an 's' on the end.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
This is a pet peeve of mine. When I see it, it burrows under my skin like a red bug (jigger, if you prefer).

I have tried. I've even attempted to educate these folks via facebook posts. It worked temporarily for Nitroplanes. But, then they reverted to their poor grammatical ways.

PLEASE, PLEASE, for the love of God, PLEASE, someone teach these people that the plural of aircraft is NOT aircrafts! The plural of aircraft is, aircraft. Its really that simple.

Pete at Banana Hobby, Tony and crew at Nitroplanes, people at Rhobbies, and anyone else struggling with the English language - please know that one aircraft is an aircraft. Two or more aircraft are also aircraft. No need for an 's' on the end.

Didn't you know "Chinglish" is the new universal language. :p

Would that "jigger" be a "chigger" in Texas? Down here jigger is a measure of drinking alcohol commonly referred to as a shot.

Now on your plurality issue, they also use the term maths as the plural of math in certain countries which I find odd as well.

I believe that the term "Aircrafts" would equate to scratch building of aircraft would it not?

Thurmond

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Now on your plurality issue, they also use the term maths as the plural of math in certain countries which I find odd as well.

Actually the term 'maths' is used as the abbreviation for 'mathematics'. It's odd that in the US it's abbreviated to 'math', because the word is used to abbreviate a plural...

earthsciteach

Thurmond - YES! I meant chigger. Its been too long since I lived in Texas, apparently.

Lobster - I always believed the term, 'mathematics,' to be singular. I've never heard the term, mathematic used. However, I am fully aware of the use of maths in other parts of the world. That is far less disturbing than the use of commas in the place of decimal points, though.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Oh hell yeah. I get very frustrated by poor grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Hmm, with some research, it seems mathematics is a non-plural noun, with the correct usage being 'mathematics is' rather than 'mathematics are'. However the inventors of the English language still use the abbreviation 'maths', while the US abbreviation is 'math'. Do we have any Canadians on this forum? How do you abbreviate 'mathematics'?

earthsciteach

Lets just admit to it - English is a bullsh*t language! The few rules that are established all seem to have at least one loophole. I can't imagine how hard it is for someone who speaks another language to learn this ridiculously ill conceived one. I before E except after c, but sometimes not. A, E, I, O, U and SOMETIMES Y... What crackheads came up with this?

PaulT

Mentor
In Canada the abreviation for mathematics is arithmetic. Lol.
It's really Math up here. Just like the plural of moose is moose, fish is fish, deer is deer, pants is pants, shorts is shorts, eyeglasses is eyeglasses and scissors is scissors.

Tritium

Lets just admit to it - English is a bullsh*t language! The few rules that are established all seem to have at least one loophole. I can't imagine how hard it is for someone who speaks another language to learn this ridiculously ill conceived one. I before E except after c, but sometimes not. A, E, I, O, U and SOMETIMES Y... What crackheads came up with this?

Don't forget sometimes "W" as well.

EST is my subliminal suggestion working?

Thurmond

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I believe that the term "Aircrafts" would equate to scratch building of aircraft would it not?

I think "aircrafts" would refer to artsy things crafted from air. I suppose you could find such trinkets at the market next to the fortune tellers.

..emperors new clothes?

earthsciteach

Thurmond, you must be quite skilled at those subliminal messages because, as I type at this very moment, I am enjoying a glass of Wild Turkey 101 on the rocks. Sadly, my homemade alcohol "fuel" apparatus is still under construction. My buddy is having it welded up from stainless steel at his shop. I guess its worth the wait. We will have to discuss various formulas for the production of said fuel in a more private setting. :D

earthsciteach

There is no try, there is only fly...

Quads just don't float my boat for some reason. I've toyed with the idea. Oh, great Texan, what is the meaning of flying quads?

Tritium

There is no try, there is only fly...

Quads just don't float my boat for some reason. I've toyed with the idea. Oh, great Texan, what is the meaning of flying quads?

Flying Quads is like listening to several Lamas or humming birds hum vs just one :cool:. Its all about the chorus not the melody alone.

There is just something surreal about them. A SciFi quality that fires my imagination.

I have always been fascinated by birds in flight but completely intrigued by those who can hover in mid flight (and even fly backwards, Dragonfly's, "quad air swimmers" are the absolute coolest of flying creatures).

Oh, and for bomb dropping on your school rivals it is absolutely tops in accuracy.

Thurmond

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Hmmm... I did thoroughly enjoy watching the hummingbirds feed outside of my parents' large window a couple of weeks ago...