Can you adjust servos without an servo tester

Winston1203

I'm almost ready to purchase my plane and I want to see if I'm able to deduct the cost on the airplane, Is is possible to deduct the cost on your airplane by using your transmitter to adjust the servos instead of getting a servo centering device? and if so, how do you do it?

By "deduct" did you mean reduce the total cost? Yes, you don't need an extra device. It doesn't depend on the plane; any normal transmitter will self-center the servos.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Monte.C, there is no "need" for a servo tester to center servos, the transmitter will center servos when you power everything on. A separate servo tester is just a convent tool, but not at all necessary.

danskis

Master member
You don't need a separate servo tester. You center the servos by binding the receiver and then hooking up all the electronics out of the plane (don't connect the motor) and practice centering the servos. Also, you'll have to center them again before making pushrods. When your using your transmitter to center the servos make sure the trim buttons next to the sticks are centered. If its a new transmitter they will be. And the servos never get exactly centered...just get them as close as you can by taking the arms off putting them as close to center as you can. Don't forget to put the screws back on the arms to hold them on.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I think my servo testers were about $3.00,

That being said, I have a "test receiver" on the bench for when I want to test several things at once, like rudder to elevator clearance. I probably use it as much as the tester, but the tester is nice when you just want to double check a servo before making and connecting a rod but hooking it to your receiver will work too.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
As everybody has said. No you do not need a servo tester, but they are cheap. I have one from (I think) amazon and it was probably a few bucks, like @Hondo76251 . I’m not sure how much money you will save by not getting one, and in my opinion that are definitely worth it.

leaded50

Legendary member
as long your TX is set to neutral (0) at sevochannel, no problem do it by TX, no need for servochecker, cheap easy solution though.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I do not use and have never used a servo tester for centring of servos and I have built models for retail sale as well as undertaken countless model builds and rebuilds.

Where possible I prefer to use the transmitter that will be used with the model as it is more accurate.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
It's not NEEDED, but I gotta be honest, it's a very handy and inexpensive tool.

For example, I thought I had a problem with my P-38 build - one of the aileron servos wasn't working properly, and I thought I had a bad connection or a short in the extension I was using. The servo tester I have has 3 settings - a dial where I can move the servo in range, set it to center, and one that goes back and forth continuously. The back and forth movement worked out for me; I was able to have it run, and wiggle the wire - turns out the extension wasn't connected fully, and was loose. A servo lead lock helped keep the connection together and it didn't have any further shorts after that.

I MIGHT have been able to diagnose with a transmitter and receiver, but it would have taken significantly longer, trying to keep it wiggling and moving to see if it shorted out while in motion. Is it a NECESSARY tool? No. but it does help in instances like this. :)