Can you build a plane that uses wing warping for control?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
To AK flyer. Sorry, thought this was the tilt wing thread. Low cost, and better precision. (Theoretically) I tried a double JR hi torque ultra precision servo build, but my control felt like I was using 2 dollar HK servos. Imprecise. Low throw precision with the little servos and hi throw low precision wing tilt, sorry for posting this in the wrong thread.:eek:

Last edited:

lonewolf7717

I really do like all yous guys so I hate to do this but I just don't see it. I will be the one voice of dissention here....I don't know of any hobby grade servos that provide the resolution required while at same time hold up under the forces it will have to handle. I like the idea....so much so that I looked into it but just couldnt justify ROI based on a maybe. If I had the time I would gladly rig up one of my sky surfer clones with a wing pivot....not to prove you wrong but to validate your ideas.

Last edited:

lonewolf7717

Also keep in mind I am not trying to squash this....matter of fact I love the creativity...just trying to offer an alternative perspective.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
It's not exactly what I was after but I did want to explore ideas that were closer to a real bird like a v-tail and whole wing movement.
I don't expect to ever rival the great Designer who did so well with birds but it's still nice to think about and try to imitate them.
Thanks for posting the smartbird.

BananaHands

I really do like all yous guys so I hate to do this but I just don't see it. I will be the one voice of dissention here....I don't know of any hobby grade servos that provide the resolution required while at same time hold up under the forces it will have to handle. I like the idea....so much so that I looked into it but just couldnt justify ROI based on a maybe. If I had the time I would gladly rig up one of my sky surfer clones with a wing pivot....not to prove you wrong but to validate your ideas.

The Clancy Lazy Bees had a wingeron option and I think they did well. Of course they were slow flying aircraft so the forces acting against the servos would have been pretty light. There is the chance we are talking about something different though.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Hmm, you could have the wing warp if you use balsa and plastic cover, right? I guess with foam it's going to be more complicated because you can't really twist it...

As for the moving wings, what kind of torque and precision would you need? I'm running outrage torq BL9180 (17 kg-cm) on my Goblin 700 helicopter on the cyclic, and BL9188 (6 kg-cm) on the tail. Very good resolution, I don't know what kind of speed you would need though... Would that kind of torque be enough? If you need only little movement, you can move the control rod to the inside of the control horn for more power/resolution.

As an extra, you could have 2 of those servos in a pull-pull setup, but that's going to be horrendously expensive. I can build 4 planes for the cost of 1 of those servos, and my Goblin uses 4 of them...

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Some day I'll have the time to put into this hobby what I thirst to do. But right now I barely have time to make a paper airplane. Ufff!

Balsa to Foam

A Jack of All Planes!!!
I have an idea.:confused: Instead of the actual wing distorting just have the wing pivot on an axis. It would basically be a giant aileron so it would have great maneuverably without very much drag so it would work very well on an indoor foamy model or any 3D model the same size or smaller of an FT-3D.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I have an idea.:confused: Instead of the actual wing distorting just have the wing pivot on an axis. ...
It was used long time ago on fast gliders where you wanted a really perfect wing without any cut out rudders.
Same with the elevator - pivot hinged.

c172ae

Pro plane crasher
I have done the wing warping thing using Depron...

it was perfectly contolleable, flew fine, and it wasn't really that hard.

the only problem is the weight. I may not have used the most effective system, but I don't thing you can get wing warping to be as light as normal rudders.