Can you guess what I'm building??

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Can you guess what I'm building?? - Answer - it's a Guppy Sailplane!

I think Lobstermash knows what it is, even though it doesn't have any EPO.

That there wood looking stuff is called balsa. Believe it or not it's great for making RC planes out of. Or gliders.

IMG_1546.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

Anyone know what this is?

G

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Ugh, I'm a terrible friend. You've shown and told me a number of times and it goes in one ear and out the other...

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Please tell.
Looks like a scratch without any cut parts - but then - the back rib on the stab seems laser cut - to something else....

earthsciteach

I can get as far as a 3-channel electric sailplane. As pgerts said, looks like you are hand cutting the wood. Whatever it is, it looks very cool!

glydr

It's called a Guppy and is a pretty awesome (and pretty) 3ch glider.

V2 plans are available from the designer here: http://ultralajt.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1676421

I'm building from V1 plans which were a free download once - might still be somewhere.

Please tell.
the back rib on the stab seems laser cut - to something else....

Yup - or 'from' something else to be accurate. I'm a stingy aeromodeller and don't throw balsa out because I can use it again. Especially that stock which came from a flying wing kit many years ago - very strong, firm but light balsa which is handy for the tailplane.

This project has been on and off since 2009!! I figured I'd better drop everything else and finish it.

Though have to say, when it took a full evenings work to make that motor bulkhead I almost made a resolution to just buy stuff instead (I figured that I could have gone into work, done overtime and spent the money earnt after tax on a Hobbyking E-Fair).

I'll keep you posted if you like.

earthsciteach

I definitely like!

Are you telling me you'd rather be at WORK than building an airplane? Unless you build airplanes for a living, I'm sending you a virtual slap in the face!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
You don't want to have more dollars than sense, glydr...

Guppy. That's the one. You've definitely shown me that build and plan several times.

glydr

I definitely like!

Are you telling me you'd rather be at WORK than building an airplane? Unless you build airplanes for a living, I'm sending you a virtual slap in the face!

OW!

Virtual slap received.

I don't work in aviation, I work in the construction industry as a building certifier and consultant. It's heaps busy at the moment so I'm glad to get work finished.

I think I've shown you several times LM as it has been a work in progress too long. Am working on that, hoping to have some time off over Christmas to finish it.

glydr

A little update...

guppy sailplane.jpg

I've made a plug to heat-shrink a plastic bottle over to make the canopy. Hoping that there is some blue lemonade bottle out there somewhere, but might have to settle for a green 7-up canopy.

glydr

Correct! It's a Guppy Sailplane (very popular balsa plans-built glider).

Picked up a green canopy containing 7-up *yeuch* yesterday. If anyone knows of a beverage served in Australia in a blue plastic bottle please let me know! I might end up with clear, however it doesn't show very well.

glydr

Thanks teach. Time? A fair bit. This has been an on and off project for almost 4 years now. If I had a month off everything I reckon I could build one, but life for me is very busy (kids, work, church, 2nd job, study...) .

I've found a mineral water with a blue bottle which should be good.

Beautiful! Good to see another balsa build.
Ironically I was just looking through some free old school glider plans last night and stumbled across the guppy. What I would really like is an aeroflyte capella. I built one when I was probably 12 or 13 and just crashed it at the local cricket oval. Would love to build another and make it work. These old balsa 2ch gliders really are a nostalgia trip for me.
Love it! Keep the pics coming!

glydr

Aeroflyte Capella! I had one too. It smashed! Good times!

Nostalgia is good - but the design probably isn't as good as the guppy or others out there (e.g. Drela gliders from Charles River RC Soarers).

glydr

Covering is underway...

IMAG1104.jpg

I managed to crush the very fine elevator a little with the film's shrinkage. Not to worry - film stripped and elevator is reinforced.

Using HK film for the first time and I have to say that I'm impressed. I want to build a yellow model A22LS Foxbat one day so might have to order some more yellow at this rate.