FT Simple Cub....already building my 2nd ;)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
no worries, it will come. trying to go to fast, to quick, is how people quit the hobby. they get mad, frustrated, spend WAY too much money, then don't know what to do when they crash. building with foam is the perfect way to start. take it easy, build your planes, learn to fly them, then progress forward.

believe it or not, i'm pretty new at this too. i have been flying for about 1.25 yrs, but cannot even count or begin to estimate the number of hours i have spent either building, designing, flying, or on the simulator over that time. i was a gofast dirtbike dez racer that did all his own work/repairs/customizations and so after my neck got messed up, this was the perfect new hobby. i still got to build and repair, i got to go fast, got to show off (maybe just a little ;)), and if i crashed it wasn't my body that was taking all the abuse anymore. just like riding, it's ALL muscle memory. your fingers need to know what to do before they need to do it. when you get good it becomes automatic, you respond immediatly without thinking. thinking slows the whole process down. you also gain the trust in yourself and your skills that you don't stress about the plane. you know where it is at, which direction it is going, and exactly what you are doing next, because that's what you told it to do.

you will get there, you already have a good start.

thanks for the tip, i will check into the IR filter.

laters,

me :cool:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Oh dear!!!
I popped into Lidl on the way to the flying site for some drinks and snacks and one of these magically appeared in my shopping bag
lidl_glider.jpg
I'm thinking keep it simple - rudder and elevator servos and....a ducted fan mounted on top ;)

C

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Oh dear!!!
I popped into Lidl on the way to the flying site for some drinks and snacks and one of these magically appeared in my shopping bag
View attachment 108275
I'm thinking keep it simple - rudder and elevator servos and....a ducted fan mounted on top ;)

C

no, go yank and bank. ailerons and elevator. you don't need no stinking rudder! :p

since watching josh and alex fly the wal-mart glider (which i have sitting in a corner) i have had the same idea. why not make it fly rc?

keep us posted!

laters,

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
This glider is EPP foam - will need some carbon re-enforcement to stop it bending but I predict the plane will be nigh on indestructible! :)

Ken Myers

as requested. far from the most interesting or exciting video i have ever produced but i sure had fun flying the Cubby today. took it up 2x, each for just about 7 mins. battery (3S-1300) was still @ 11.4v so i bumped timer up to 10. very happy with my flaperon settings, they are totally not needed but a nice little gimmick.

laters,

Thanks so much. Very informative.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
I routinely get 10 minutes from a 1000 mah in my cub but I fly mostly around 50-60% throttle. I've been flying with a 10x4.5 lately and the adverse yaw is problematic, but the power is really good.