FT Simple Cub....already building my 2nd ;)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I shortened my power pod and fixed it in permanently - the only way this motor and ESC is getting out of there in in a wreck :)
Also added a spot of right thrust to help counter torque effects a bit.
Great that yours flew so well, hope mine does too!

Caroline

Ken Myers

mrjdstewart some questions

"maiden mine today and it flew awesome. funny prop noise, but flew great. did multiple, epic, touch and goes. didn't even use the flapperons. on landing and post flight, realized i hadn't put the power pod skewers back in. pod was working it's way out the front of the plane! "

What was the distance from the leading edge of the wing to the CG you were using?

Since you were doing touch and goes, did the wire landing gear tear into the fuselage sides?

Is the wire landing gear loose in the Landing Gear Tab now?

Did you ever try to just 'glide' in a landing, not under power?
If so, what happened?

Thanks,
Ken

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
if you buy the kit, the CG is clearly marked. i usually add a small drop of hot glue to it so i have a very tactile way of finding the CG marks. As for wire, if you do the side covers for the gear properly you will never see the sides where the gear tucks in. with that said, i have no problems doing touch and goes without issues with the gear. it is not loose, not bending, no problems at all. i have had a few of these now and have never had an issue with it. although the Cub is pretty floaty, it still needs some power on landing. you can't (nor should you ever) completely chop the throttle on landing.

laters,

me :cool:

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
it still needs some power on landing. you can't (nor should you ever) completely chop the throttle on landing.
I have the ESC set-up to stop the prop and always cut power in the flair, I'm flying onto a fairly tall grass field and using power on the landing would cost me a prop per. The Simple Cub seems to have a glide ratio of something less than two, but it will dead stick land with practice as well, although that is much less graceful.

Gazoo

mrjdstewart some questions

Since you were doing touch and goes, did the wire landing gear tear into the fuselage sides?

Thanks,
Ken

I think what you are asking here is: Is the landing gear glued into the fuselage?

I know that if I don't glue it in, the wire will push up into the sides and tear. It should be designed so that the tab that sandwiches the gear wire cannot go up into the slot because the fuselage doublers have a top in the slot. But it is just foam board and it will compress.

I have also had the pontoons come disconnected at the front when the tab fell out of the slot. Makes for an awkward landing. Therefore, I just put a little glue at the bottom. If I want to swap to the pontoons or back, I can use a heat gun to soften the glue.

Happy Flying,
Gazoo

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.

Ken, my Simple Cubs have both used an insert made from 1/8" plywood (two pieces the width and depth of the FT foam pieces with a spacer on each side that's 1/8x1/8xheight of the assembly. I glue these with epoxy and mount them in place with hot glue. My landing gear is 1/8" music wire and it's bent to fit snugly inside the slot created by the plywood insert (I'll try to attach photo's tonight).

Ken Myers

Ken, my Simple Cubs have both used an insert made from 1/8" plywood (two pieces the width and depth of the FT foam pieces with a spacer on each side that's 1/8x1/8xheight of the assembly. I glue these with epoxy and mount them in place with hot glue. My landing gear is 1/8" music wire and it's bent to fit snugly inside the slot created by the plywood insert (I'll try to attach photo's tonight).

Thanks, that is exactly what I'm doing on my new fuselage. Appreciate the offer, but I got it covered. :)

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
I would like to see pictures if you are able. Thanks.
I'll throw them in the post tonight. I'm just finishing up an S.E. 5a (ish) version of the simple scout and I'm doing the same thing there. I like being able to straighten my landing gear out without torquing on the fuselage and the ability to remove them if I want less scale performance (more acrobatics) from my planes. Plus, I could bend a set of wires for floats or skis too.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
WIN_20180406_15_28_48_Pro.jpg

Nothing fancy, but you can bend 1/8" wire so it's 1.5" wide across the top. Mark where it leaves the ply and bend it out and forward (if needed). If you do it right (I use a vise to adjust the top bend) it will stay put from friction/spring load.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Went to maiden the simple cub this evening.... blooming load of football and rugby players on my potential flying field. What a cheek!!!
;)

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
That's the plus of my field, 6 acres that I own. The minus is that it's surrounded by trees so when the wind blows past 5mph I get a little "mountain effect" turbulence.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Well......I maiden-ed the simple cub this morning - almost no wind, perfect conditions. It flew great....sadly I didn't :(

darn!!!!