Help! Can you use a 4 in 1 esc on a rc plane ?if you can , how do you?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’ve never heard of anyone trying this. I see no reason why it would not work. You will need to use extra long leads going to the motors. The down side to all in one’s, if one ESC goes bad, you loose the benefits of the board.

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I am pretty sure I remember seeing a FT video where Josh did that , just can't remember which plane that was. Then again , I may be totally wrong but I think there is one.

luvmy40

Elite member
So my first question would be; If you use a four in one ESC and a motor or ESC channel goes Tango Uniform, will the other three keep running?

danskis

Master member
You can probably do it but you may not get differential thrust (unless its in the BLHeli software). It also doesn't have a battery eliminator circuit (BEC) so you'll have to power your servos another way unless you limit your batteries to 2S (which it supports) or use a separate BEC for the receiver and servos. Probably have to use a separate BEC for the receiver anyway.

They are also making small drone motors with built in ESCs. That might cut down on wiring.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I think it was the Twin Sparrow . Pretty sure he did something different with that one but again not sure

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Like I said, wasn't sure, an option at the least.. Any suggestions?
A 4-1 ESC can be used for power in a similar way that the Twin Sparrow used the power distribution board. Figuring out the signal wires from the 4-1 ESC to the receiver could be an issue for anyone that is not experienced with electronics (e.g., the reason for the thread).

CappyAmeric

Elite member
There was another small twin motor wing build that they used that same distribution board in. I can‘t remember the name of it - but it flew great for a tiny wing.
The FT Twin Dart. It used two Gremlin motors, 6 or 12 amp ESCs, and a central power distribution board.

tamuct01

Yes, you can use a 4-in-1 ESC on a plane. There are 4 separate ESC input signals on the board - think of it as it is: 4 discrete ESCs on a single board. You could control them on 4 separate channels, or combine them in pairs, or run all 4 from the same throttle signal. Some 4-in-1s have a built-in BEC and some don't, so check your specific one.

JetCrafts

Yes, you can use a 4-in-1 ESC on a plane. There are 4 separate ESC input signals on the board - think of it as it is: 4 discrete ESCs on a single board. You could control them on 4 separate channels, or combine them in pairs, or run all 4 from the same throttle signal. Some 4-in-1s have a built-in BEC and some don't, so check your specific one.
thx

JetCrafts

a
A 4-1 ESC can be used for power in a similar way that the Twin Sparrow used the power distribution board. Figuring out the signal wires from the 4-1 ESC to the receiver could be an issue for anyone that is not experienced with electronics (e.g., the reason for the thread).
as I'm 14 and have not the slightest clue on mini quads and only have built one big one how would you connect the 4in 1 esc to your receiver

CappyAmeric

Elite member
a

as I'm 14 and have not the slightest clue on mini quads and only have built one big one how would you connect the 4in 1 esc to your receiver
A 4-1 has a wire set that has signal and power wires that go to a flight controller. Each motor‘s ESC on the 4-1 has a separate signal wire, then there will also be a hot wire and ground wire. There may also be a BEC hot wire. Unless you can read a schematic and test voltages you probably should not attempt this or you risk burning up your ESC or your receiver.

Last edited: