Canadian looking for first FPV system

motoringmaniac

Hello all,

I am a Canadian (Ontario) and I'm looking to get a beginners FPV system. I am looking at the system from HK, flight test used as their backpack FPV system. I don't need a long range system as it is basically going to be used to fly my tricopter and aim my camera. I am stuck between the 900 and the 5.8 systems. Does anyone have any ideas on which would be better for a Canadian. I am reading many conflicting results on what is legal and not legal in Canada. Has anyone tried the 900 MHz 100mw from HK? 100mw or 200mw would be more than enough for me I think, at least for now. I have a monitor already so I would like to keep stay as cheap as possible. I fly with 2.4 frsky 9x.
Thanks

RoyBro

Mentor
Before considering purchasing any equipment for FPV, you should contact a local club and find out if anyone there has sifted through the regulations, or found an answer to your question. Here is a list of MAAC clubs in Middle Ontario. According to Industry Canada's website, using an unapproved wireless device can result in a $5K fine. But I don't know if that applies to individual hobbyist usage, which is why you should contact a local flying club.

Maybe there's a reason the Hobby King USA Warehouse doesn't stock any actual FPV equipment.

Last edited:

eagle4

This weekend is the north American annual fpv event, about 30 minutes north of montreal, if you get a chance come on over, I'm sure you'll get a.chance to.test all manner of fpv gear.

Edit: http://www.altituderc.com/node/759 here's the link

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
And there you go. If you go to the link provided by eagle4, and then click on the About Us tab, you can ask someone who has been flying FPV in Canada for over 2 years. They are using 2.4 GHz Fatsharks.

I knew that local clubs would be the answer. Thanks eagle4 for chiming in. I wish I could go, but it is way to far east for me.

RB

motoringmaniac

Thanks boys. Montreal is quite a hike from my home town so I won't be able to make it up that way in time. My local field is very strict and old school (mostly gassers that frown upon electrics) so there is little interest in FPV around here. The closest I have heard of is Toronto a good 4/5 hours away. I'll ask around the link you provided, that's the best lead I have had so far.

Last edited:

eagle4

Shame, i was hoping you lived on this side of Ontario and it'd be a fairly easy trip for you. my sugestion then is maybe just bite the bullet, buy something like the farshark teleporter v3 from hobbyking, its only $200 and just try it out.

motoringmaniac

The FAQ on your website has me a little confused eagle4. It says "Legally, we must have an amateur radio license for a transmitter more powerful than the 500mw on the 900mhz band and 2.4GHz." but then it says "We are allow to use only 10mw on 2.4ghz without license and 25mw on 5.8ghz." 500mw and 10mw is a big difference. So does it mean we can have up to 500mw on 900mhz without a license? I mean all I want is like 100mw or 200mw but I want to do things properly. Canadian rules don't quite seem to have caught up with fpv's progress yet. The government website is a joke. I was thinking about the fat shark system, but I was hoping to start out with a less than $100 system.

RoyBro

Mentor
I have to agree with eagle4 about the FatSharks, I had the same idea about cost because I too had a monitor I could use. But I ended up spending a lot more because after a few false starts, I just decided to get some FatSharks. If the Teleporter had been available at the time, I would have gotten them. The Teleporter V3 looks very nice because it appears that unlike other models, the new camera that comes with it has a built in DVR, like the GoPros. And you don't have to deal with wires and connectors and all that.
FlyingMonkey will tell you the same. He got the Predator V2 recently and raved about how they just worked out of the box.

eagle4

Motoringmaniac, sorry mate but it's not my website, I'm not up on all the fpv stuff myself, in actually going to the fpv thing this weekend as a research mission myself ;)

motoringmaniac

Haha my apologies! Perhaps you could debrief me on your findings once you have completed your mission ;) mean while I will try and email someone up that way and find out what that statement means exactly. I am starting to lean towards the fatshark side of things mainly for the plug and play characteristics of the system (and the excellent quality reports)

RoyBro

Mentor
Keep us all posted please. I live in Montana and would like to be aware of the regulations; just in case.