Can't find a hobby shop :(

MountianFlyingWV

User of Gorilla Glue
I live around Beckley ,WV. And if you have ever been there......yeah theres not much to say about it :rolleyes:
Anyways i can't find any hobby shops. There is one place called Elevations Sports, but they are mostly a ski and biking shop that sells a few RC's on the side.
I googled for hobby shops in my area but it didn't even say there was a hobby shop that i wont have to drive 2 hours to get to. So does anyone know about a place that i'm missing?

earthsciteach

What are you looking for? For better or for worse, online vendors are more affordable than hobby shops. Some will give you the same service and support up front and after the sale.

MountianFlyingWV

User of Gorilla Glue
I like the online shops, but i also like a place that i can take my stuff to for advice. When i was in florida i just took my plane in and walked out with a free part. So thats why im looking for a shop. I also like to physically look at the product i'm about to buy. Thats just me though.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I like the online shops, but i also like a place that i can take my stuff to for advice. When i was in florida i just took my plane in and walked out with a free part. So thats why im looking for a shop. I also like to physically look at the product i'm about to buy. Thats just me though.

Well, no wonder you can't find any. With a business plan like that, it's hardly a surprise that they'd all had to close down. :D

Sometimes there's just no close by hobby shop. It takes a large customer base to keep a store like that operating, and the more rural you get, the harder it will be. Check to see if there's any local RC clubs nearby. Sometimes they'll have a member who has a small store out of their garage, or barn.

Just a word of advice courtesy wise. If you're bringing a plane to a hobby shop seeking their help, make sure it's either one you bought from them, or you've bought a fair amount of supplies from them. Walking into a hobby shop where you spent hours asking the clerk/owner for advice, with the same plane they helped you settle on, but that you bought on the internet... will likely get you some less than pleasant service.

tramsgar

Well, no wonder you can't find any. With a business plan like that, it's hardly a surprise that they'd all had to close down. :D
Just a word of advice courtesy wise. If you're bringing a plane to a hobby shop seeking their help, make sure it's either one you bought from them, or you've bought a fair amount of supplies from them. Walking into a hobby shop where you spent hours asking the clerk/owner for advice, with the same plane they helped you settle on, but that you bought on the internet... will likely get you some less than pleasant service.

Or maybe they'd be building rep and customer relations to get the next sale? I for one always "test" stores before I commit to buying anything expensive (that might need help or service). If they give me less than pleasant service, I'll remember it FOREVER and buy my stuff elsewhere. If not, I'll recommend them to anyone I know.

If you have a store, better be in it for the long term to build customer relations - if not, at least I'm not interested. But that's just old fashioned me =).

I don't think you are missing anything...a quick google search of Charleston WV which is 60 ish miles away didn't show anything. I'm guessing your best bet is Roanoke.

No local hobby shop is a small price to pay for living in one of the most beautiful areas of the country :D

Zwoobz

I believe there is a hobby shop about 22 minutes from the center of Charleston. This is a link to the place on google maps. This is their facebook page. Hope that helps! :D

JasonEricAnderson

I just want to say, I miss my local hobby shop. When I was in high school there was a hobby shop that was in a strip mall only a few miles from my house. They were the best example of what you wanted in a hobby shop. Fantastic group of guys and the owner would talk your ear off about any topic you had an interest in. My buddies and I got into stunt kites (this is when they kind of first came out) because of this shop. The crew were really into helis and one of their pride and joys was a huge scale heli of a Huey gunship. We were in that shop weekly, buying plastic aircraft models, kites, whatever.

A year or so after I graduated they shut down and it's been a pet store ever since.

I miss those guys.

epicstrikard

Actual Pilot, RC Idiot
I just want to say, I miss my local hobby shop. When I was in high school there was a hobby shop that was in a strip mall only a few miles from my house. They were the best example of what you wanted in a hobby shop. Fantastic group of guys and the owner would talk your ear off about any topic you had an interest in. My buddies and I got into stunt kites (this is when they kind of first came out) because of this shop. The crew were really into helis and one of their pride and joys was a huge scale heli of a Huey gunship. We were in that shop weekly, buying plastic aircraft models, kites, whatever.

A year or so after I graduated they shut down and it's been a pet store ever since.

I miss those guys.
Sounds exactly like the owner of the hobby shop I love to go to in Des Moines. Not a very busy shop, and I'll talk to him for an hour or two at a time. Only bad thing about that is he uses his magical powers, and I usually end up walking out down a few hundred bucks... curse him :)