Can't peel foamboard

MaxTheFliteFreak

I can't peel the paper off of the foamboard that I buy from my local craft shop. Whenever I try, it just tears away a small portion of the layer, revealing the honeycomb like structure beneath. Does anybody know how I can peel this paler off cleanly, just like normal foamboard?

NickRehm

Try wetting it with a damp rag before trying to peel. Might make it tear more, but when the paper is wet it's easier to "rub" off with your finger tips

cyclone3350

Master member
I cut the parts out, and then I use a tea pot spout to steam off the paper. Works amazingly well & quick on small sections. It is a lot of work to do a whole board that way.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I can't peel the paper off of the foamboard that I buy from my local craft shop. Whenever I try, it just tears away a small portion of the layer, revealing the honeycomb like structure beneath. Does anybody know how I can peel this paler off cleanly, just like normal foamboard?
Iso-propyl-alcohol or warm water if you can't get your hands on the alcohol.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Try a different brand of foam board, the paper from Adams FB peels easily, Ross FB is difficult to peel.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Do I bruah the FB with it?
Up to you either soak a cloth and wipe it on or use a bush. With the brush method apply it sparingly, you tend have more control when applying with a cloth/swap or cotton wool ball. However, the brush method allows more control of the area you apply it to so its horses for courses.
Good luck

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Try a different brand of foam board, the paper from Adams FB peels easily, Ross FB is difficult to peel.
Originally, I cursed the foamboard that I use because it was hard to remove the paper. However, that extra adhesion reduces the delamination so keeps the paper attached to the foam around the edges. It also appears more resilient to water penetration, so better for painting with water-based paint and polyurethane varnish.
The foam itself is also quite dense so heavier and my models need a little adaptation for CG, but I gain more rigidity and more longevity with my models too.
So, I don't complain about it anymore.