Can't stop your EDF jet?

L Edge

Master member
EDF's jets are a different breed. The main pilot errors usually occur on takeoff(perhaps launching) or most often landing.

For takeoff, going down the runway and realizing it is not going to liftoff usually means trouble. I've seen gear rip out, leading edge destruction, veering off course usually does the some or total destruction of frame, wing or tail.

EDF's come in 2 versions for landing. Some float like butterflies(low or mid-wing) and others require throttle management and proper flaring. You get that by learning. In the meantime, a majority of pilots learning come in high, hot and heavy, eating up the runway and await destruction as they run out of runway.
Very few foam models have any brakes. So, build, fly , and rebuild until they learn the lesson.

Now enters "reverse escapes" for airplanes. First explored it with props and landing gear. Simple hookup, esc goes to throttle rx as usual and second wire go to an empty channel controlled by a 2 position switch. If you have controllable nose gear, you can use it to go forward/backwards to turn the plane around and taxi back to the pits.

All you do is when time to reverse prop/EDF, pull throttle to zero, reverse switch, and then add throttle. Motor is reversed and guarantees to reduce your stopping distance.

Now for EDF's.
First thought, what will happen if blades and not balanced and what about full throttle reverse. Will it brake sufficiently?
Started with bench testing and sure enough, running an 64 EDF backwards does produce negative thrust. I decided that 2/3 throttle is max.
Took EDF plane out, did a number of trials coming in fast and applying the reverse. and sure enough it reduced the length of stopping distance.
Bench tested a balanced 70 EDF(holding it), went up to 3/4 throttle, and surprised of the amount of negative thrust.
Never had the heart

I used a Hobbywing Funfly40A V5 escape that has a 3-6S Lipo range.

So, if you need help to get landings shorten to reduce accidents, think about using a reversible escape. Then, disconnect the reverse and you have a useable 40amp esc for other planes.

Wanted to try 4D flying. Haven't got the nerve yet to put the EDF plane is a dive and reverse the switch and see if it could stop it to hover. nose down.

Sidenote: When you buy an EDF, you will trash the blades after it ingested wet grass, pebbles, dirt and even servo wires(ask me on that one), so buy a few spares blade sets for they usually drop off the market within a year or two. Then your stuck buying a whole new EDF unit.

Will do a video shortly.

Last edited:

bearit

i am curious about the reverse thrust. are you using a standard ESC? And how are you wiring it up can you show me a diagram

dap35

Elite member
i am curious about the reverse thrust. are you using a standard ESC? And how are you wiring it up can you show me a diagram
The ESC needs to support the reversing... it may require an additional channel on the RX.

dap35

Elite member
ok special ESC i thought he was using a normal one and figured out how to reverse
I've seen several members at the field with planes supporting reverse on the ESC. I think it is becoming more common on new planes.

L Edge

Master member
Here is the PDF that explains how it is done. Yes, the extra channel is needed with the 2 position switch that reverses the motor. Rather then set up the variables(motor timing etc.) by beeps, buy the programming box and it's done in a few seconds.

I want to thank Pieliker96 who helped me locate info on reversing esc's.

Attachments

• User_Manual_Flyfun_V5_ESC.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 0

dap35

Elite member
Here is the PDF that explains how it is done. Yes, the extra channel is needed with the 2 position switch that reverses the motor. Rather then set up the variables(motor timing etc.) by beeps, buy the programming box and it's done in a few seconds.

I want to thank Pieliker96 who helped me locate info on reversing esc's.
too funny.... that happens to be the ESC I pulled up to check and see if it uses an extra channel.

telnar1236

Elite member
A few of the newer E-Flite and Motion RC EDFs have this feature. I haven't gotten the chance to experience it for myself, but I've seen it working and it definitely seems effective.

L Edge

Master member
A few of the newer E-Flite and Motion RC EDFs have this feature. I haven't gotten the chance to experience it for myself, but I've seen it working and it definitely seems effective.

Try to pin them down on the amount of time it takes from flipping the switch to getting the blades to start up in reverse. I was able to tweek it down to about 1/2 to 2/3 sec. Tried to talk to E-Flite tecky person and gave up after long wait.