Carbon Cub GPS Problems

newflyer275

I need help. I am new to flying planes. I am having a terrible time, problem with the Carbon Cub S+. I am on my 2nd one in 3 weeks and keep having trouble with the gps and loosing communication with the air plane. I flew yesterday and had 3 really great flights with no problems at all. Range check was done and worked fine, everything done just as the instruction manual said to do, went to fly today and as soon as I got in the air I lost communication with the plane and off it went to who knows where. No matter what I did it would not respond. I called horizon hobbies and they could not give me a good answer as to why this happened with 2 different Carbon cubs. The only thing in common with each plane was the radio, a spektrum dxe that came with the first Carbon Cub. Like I said I am new to flying planes but have been taken by them and I don't want to quit but I am very frustrated and would appreciate any help, answers that anyone can give me. Is there a better first plane trainer out there that anyone would recommend????? Thanks

moret

I had a champ S+ that flew away , I got the Carbon Cub S+ to replace it. The more I flew it the more I worried about it leaving. I took the GPS module out of mine. It still has SAFE but no GPS functions. I like the plane and never used the auto land so it worked out for me. I think the SAFE function is good for a person learning on his own but the GPS system is not ready for prime time.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
One thing to know is, the active element. It is the exposed wire at the end. This what you care about, it should be fairly straight. It needs to be a specific length and away from anything metal, carbon fiber or electronic (ESC & battery). Those items will block the signal. If you have a 90 degree bend in the middle of your active element, you will drastically cut your range. The black part (in this picture), you don't care about, can be any length, tie it in a knot, hide it in carbon fiber. It's just the antenna lead.

If you fray the shielding (the lead) you will allow unwanted rf signal in, which will kill your range. The antenna must be repaired or replaced. To repair, just cut off the frayed coax and solder the remaining coax back onto the Rx board. If you manage to cut off a portion of the active element, just peal back more of the lead. Its best to cut off a bit more of the lead than necessary, then trim the active element to length. Like they are doing in this picture.

I have flown many years with a single antenna Rx (the old Flysky), installed on the inside of my plane. The only time I have had any range issues is when I damaged my antenna lead. A range check is invaluable to discover this damage on the ground and not in the air.

Any time the Rx is stopped by the antenna catching on something, you have the potential to damage the lead.

Bricks

Master member
As Merv said and being the DXE is a single antenna transmitter never point the transmitter at the plane worst thing that can be done.

Air Rookie

Hey new Flyer, I just returned from my second flight with the cub....same issue, just got lucky and was able to recover the air craft.
I will be disable the GPS and check the atenna (thank you for the insights).
FYI, my first flights were with the Apprentice S15e; Rock solid trainer!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I’m not sure about this since I don’t know much about planes with gps modules, but isn’t the failsafe supposed to shut off the motor if you lose signal? Maybe the gps is stopping the failsafe from working?

Air Rookie

That is my guess as well. The GPS unit is supposed to set an "air fence" once your home location is set. If you leave that air space it should take over and bring you back inside that fly zone. One would assume it be impossible to lose the aircraft...

Headbang

Master member
I see more often then not things like safe, GPS, and as3x going wrong. On the flip side, I have planes with as3x that have been great for countless flights, and I have students that use safe when I am not around without any issue. GPS on the other hand in those cubs, every single one I have seen has flown away.

Lako

Hi guys, same problem here. First flight signal lost after 2-3 sec. So just after take off motor shut down and plain landed back. Second flight I managed to take off, then right turn 180' and plain lost signal again. All went dead. No controls, nor motor function. Luckily the plain was well balanced and landed in next field with no damages. When I tried Range Check, the plane only responding when transmitter is 3-5m from the plane. When I just turn the plane on and switch off the GPS /so without the range check mode/ plane is responding on longer distance. But in Range Check Mode not. So frustrating 😡

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
not directly related but something to think about
I have a mini OSD with GPS and it thinks home is 7.5 miles behind me!! ....... tossed the useless OSD with gps
too many of you with the same issue........I would disable the gps and fly your cub untill someone finds out why

Last edited:

Lako

I never flied nor planned to fly with GPS. I always turns it Off. Also I think my problem is not GPS related at all. Does anyone have any suggestions please

UKFlyer

I've had this plane for 5 days now......here's my take.....

Prior to purchasing the plane I had read a lot of reviews, some good, many bad. In spite of all the negative reviews about the GPS I went ahead and purchased it anyway. It got the BNF version and paired it with my DX9 which was also purchased new at the same time.

I did email Horizon Hobby and asked them what their opinion was on all the problems relating to the GPS and got the following reply a couple of days later:

"As a trainer for our local club, I've test flown around a hundred of this particular model of plane. I've yet to find an issue with it that wasn't user error. The problem with trainer planes being reviewed online is that the person is new to the hobby and usually doesn't have a firm grasp on the manual or what they have to do, so when it flies off they think it was defective. They're just too excited to get the plane in the air and didn't take the time to read and understand what they should have done. They usually skip a step in the setup or have a switch in the wrong position. I hope this helps".

I've only been flying a year so I'm no expert but I'm not new to the hobby either. Many other flyers who have reviewed this plane have a vast experience so I think for Horizon to say that it's only been reviewed by new people to the hobby is a bit shallow on their part.

I spent a good couple of hours setting this plane up, reading the instructions thoroughly. I had followed the instructions to the "T" and also spent a long time getting it all working in unison with my DX9.

The maiden flight took place the following day. I took the plane manual with me to the flying field so I could ensure that the compass calibration and virtual fence set up were done properly along with a range test.

After all my presice and meticulous setting up, the first 2 flights of that day went very well with no hiccups, everything worked exactly as it should've. I've flown it a further 8 times with no issues, each time using the GPS and going through the full calibration, set up and range test process on every flight, all from the same flying field. I did this to ensure and to try to mitigate that no problems would happen with fly always etc.

Now........yesterday was a little bit different.

I took the Carbon Cub to the same flying field that I've been going to for the last 5 days and went through the same calibration and set up process as I have been doing all week.

The plane flew well initially, hitting the virtual fence and turning around as expected, responding well to the holding position and also auto landing well when I tested them. It was after the second take off (still on the same battery) that I noticed the first issue........after climbing to a safe height and turning the plane to the left, it decided to go in to a holding position by itself....I pressed the bind button and regained control, hmmm, no issue I thought. The plane continued to fly well for a few more minutes. Again, after a left hand turn, the plane decided to head towards the ground and I had no control, I quickly switched flying modes and regained control of the plane before it ate dirt.

A few more minutes of flight (with a now very concerned me) I decided to line the plane up for a landing approach. On the cross wind leg, turning to the right, I again lost all control with the plane now heading towards the ground with full right aileron! Switching modes allowed me to save the plane once again (to my amazement) and I managed to climb to a safe height. At this point I slowed the plane right down and deactivated the GPS system whilst it was in the air. This allowed me to land the plane safely.

Having read all the reviews about the plane prior to purchase I decided last night that I was going to remove the GPS from the plane completely. As the plane was already bound to my DX9 there was no issues with it connecting to the receiver once removed (I know this has been commented on in earlier posts).

I took the plane out today and it flew amazingly and the SAFE system still works as expected.
I was able to enjoy the flying experience without worrying what the plane will do. My 8 year old son has even got his hands on it and managed to take it off and fly it on begginer mode, the plane really is that easy to fly.

From a flying and stability perspective, this plane is perfect for beginners because of the way it handles. It flies on rails and can be floated to the ground dead stick style if required. With that in mind, in experienced mode it can be thrown around and really enjoyed for the aerobatics that it can perform.

The stall characteristics of the plane are pretty much none existent. If you are considering buying this plane then you wont regret it, just please take notice of the GPS issues that can present themselves at unexpected moments during flight and fully familiarise yourself with the switches and the way to deactivate the GPS during flight if it is needed. It will make all the difference between you going home with a whole plane as opposed to one thats in bits.

You may get lucky and not have any issues at all....It's always good to prepare for the worst though.

Yoshio

Make sure battery is connected well!

I also bought "Cub S+" 2 weeks ago to enter RC flying and love the plane. We went through a lot already. And I also had the problem of loosing connection during the first 2 flights, crashed, but was lucky.

I couldn't figure out the problem until a member here told me to make sure to put the battery connector all the way into the power plug of the Cub.

Cause I never dealt with IC3 resp. EC3 connectors before I stopped pushing it at a point at which you can feel it tightens. I thought this is it, but you really have to push it in with more energy than you are used to devices in your household :)

So, for me connection felt tight enough, but it wasn't enough and I underestimated the forces when you ascend or descent the plane at a certain speed and steep level. The connectors lost touch, but when checking power of the crashed plane connection was there again. That's why I wouldn't figure out the problem by myself.

moke

I need help. I am new to flying planes. I am having a terrible time, problem with the Carbon Cub S+. I am on my 2nd one in 3 weeks and keep having trouble with the gps and loosing communication with the air plane. I flew yesterday and had 3 really great flights with no problems at all. Range check was done and worked fine, everything done just as the instruction manual said to do, went to fly today and as soon as I got in the air I lost communication with the plane and off it went to who knows where. No matter what I did it would not respond. I called horizon hobbies and they could not give me a good answer as to why this happened with 2 different Carbon cubs. The only thing in common with each plane was the radio, a spektrum dxe that came with the first Carbon Cub. Like I said I am new to flying planes but have been taken by them and I don't want to quit but I am very frustrated and would appreciate any help, answers that anyone can give me. Is there a better first plane trainer out there that anyone would recommend????? Thanks

I had same problem with same cub twice. two crashes. I finally took out the GPS and haven't had a problem since

SidFishus

Phin G

Elite member
I got the wltoys f949 and it is a superb plane. It is 3 channel and has a flight time of 8 mins. I have turned it into a lawn dart 4 times and the motor came loose. Quich dab of hot glue and i was flying again. Hit a rugby post and ripped wing of. Glue it on. Flys perfectly. And oh i gutted mine and stuch it back together and it still flys.
It has no SAFE tech nor gps so it wont fly away. It also has self level mode. Great beginner plane.

SidFishus

I would recommend what I did! For my first aircraft I purchased the OMP T720 hybrid plane/glider. It’s a small pusher (propeller mounted behind wing) which saves it from breaking on bad landings. This little plane flew great, good range, very basic and it’s RTF for $109 at Amainhobbies. It has no landing gear (belly landings) or you could probably catch it in your hand? After 20-25 flights a servo froze causing the plane to hit nose first into earth. I should have just bought another S ince I’ve gone through a “Conscendo Evo”, Volentex Phoenix V2, and am currently working on distorting the Carbon Cub S2 before I try my Arrows husky! Honestly I will purchase another OMP T720 and would recommend you start with something similar. Good luck! Troy

SidFishus

SidFishus

I was speaking to product support and he mentioned something that may be to our (the consumers) advantage! He ask if I had pictures or video of the flight? Maybe if your flight and commentary is on video, it may prove the incident was not pilot error but that of a faulty product? Imagine the customer being right for once? I may look like a dork but I’m going to start doing this instead of trying to convince someone who does not want to believe me!