Help! Carbon cub landing gear.

Codyprice0295

I am very new to RC (somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 hours total flight time)
I wanted to either make custom landing gear for my Horizon Carbon cub (this is a 1.3 foam airplane. Total of 5 lbs) or build on what I have. The wire landing gear on the carbon cub I don’t really like, it’s flimsy and has no bracing.
I thought about adding to what I already have. Two more pieces of wire some how bonded to the existing wire and attached to the rear center line of the plane.
Rear landing gear is even worse. Any sort of rough terrain or grass just makes the single wire bend, causing the plane to resist turns during taxi in even permed grass or gravel. (It’s a brush plane, supposed to be able to perform take offs and landings in grass?)
I also wanted to switch from foam wheels to inflatable.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 628C8029-CAB8-462B-B5FD-9BBD59B0F00A.jpeg
    628C8029-CAB8-462B-B5FD-9BBD59B0F00A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A8312DF3-57ED-469D-AD3F-897A58715ED4.jpeg
    A8312DF3-57ED-469D-AD3F-897A58715ED4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Tench745

Master member
My first reaction is about tires. Air filled tends to add weight you don't need. In the smaller sizes, inflatable tires are a lot heavier than foam tires. The big thing to change would be to go to a larger diameter tire on the mains and tailwheel. Bigger tires will let the plane roll over larger obstacles with less resistance, so you can taxi better and your gear will be less likely to snag on anything and spoil a decent landing.

Other than that, I can't add much. I haven't flown a Carbon Cub, so I don't know how suitable the existing gear is or isn't.

Codyprice0295

My first reaction is about tires. Air filled tends to add weight you don't need. In the smaller sizes, inflatable tires are a lot heavier than foam tires. The big thing to change would be to go to a larger diameter tire on the mains and tailwheel. Bigger tires will let the plane roll over larger obstacles with less resistance, so you can taxi better and your gear will be less likely to snag on anything and spoil a decent landing.

Other than that, I can't add much. I haven't flown a Carbon Cub, so I don't know how suitable the existing gear is or isn't.
Thank you.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have one as well and I agree with @Tench745 inflatable tires would add too much extra weight. The tires on the durafly tundra are larger and much softer so those would be my recommendation if you want to change them out. I would also use the tundra’s landing gear as inspiration for modifying yours. It’s a fantastic design. You might also consider using the landing gear from the Eflite valiant, both planes have a similar design in the battery bay so you might be able to get the valiant gear to work. I could probably try a test fit on mine if that would be helpful. Here’s a picture of the gear on my tundra, let me know if you would like any pics from any other angles.
680A4983-C10F-4DD5-9649-7407B324B7A5.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Another option, probably the easiest, would be to copy the gear design on the umx turbo timber. You would just need to epoxy a little piece of sheet metal or plastic to the gear farings then screw that into the plastic insert in the fuselage.
C3068A40-2826-4F81-9D5E-DAF03D204862.jpeg

Codyprice0295

You might also consider using the landing gear from the Eflite valiant, both planes have a similar design in the battery bay so you might be able to get the valiant gear to work.
I love the valiant. I do like your landing gear though. It looks as if it would be forward of the battery bay on mine?
I’m an A&P so I understand CG, this brings me to my next question. How do we weight planes? Would fishing sinkers pushed and glued into the foam work? It’d be cheap.
At this point, I’ve pushed so many skewers into my plane it isn’t even funny. I tried “advanced flight” (SAFE equipped) today so this wreck was pretty bad. Combo of excessive bank angle and wind. Airfoil stall… broken wing.
I love it though. Hot glue, skewers, and whiskey/beer of choice, it’s fixed. Fixing them is so much fun. Lol

Codyprice0295

Another option, probably the easiest, would be to copy the gear design on the umx turbo timber. You would just need to epoxy a little piece of sheet metal or plastic to the gear farings then screw that into the plastic insert in the fuselage.
View attachment 211910
I think that’s the one. I’m going to try it, I’ll get back to you.
Bigger tires, keep foamies, attach fairings to body.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
.... I don’t really like, it’s flimsy and has no bracing.
I thought about adding to what I already have. Two more pieces of wire some how bonded to the existing wire...
Its fine to beef up the landing gear. Just keep in mind, when you have a rough landing, something it going to break. I build in a weak spot so I can choose where the break will be. Chose somewhere that is easy to fix. I use zip ties to allow my gear to break away on a rough landing. When they break, just zip tie them back on.

Last edited: