Carrying case for a 450

pungbjoern

I'm looking to either make or buy a carrying case for my 450. It's an X format, and the arms don't fold.
I'm willing to accept removal of propellers for transport, but that's basically it w.r.t disassembly.
I need to be able to carry my quad, my lipos (4 of them, currently), my transmitter, some tools, and some extra propellers.
I'm guessing I'll end up with something either custom built from wood or something recycled from something else. I'm also guessing that I'll end up with foam insets with holes for all these things.

The kicker is that it actually needs to be a carrying case. I live in the city, and I don't have a car, so I'll need to either strap this thing to my back, like a backpack, or be able to carry it like an attaché case.

I'd love to hear how you guys and gals have solved this problem. I'm perfectly open to building things myself, but because I live in the city, I don't really have access to a wood shop. At least not easy access. I have some ideas for how I could do this in wood in my head, but I'd love to get some more input. It doesn't have to get done for 5 EUR, but it would be nice if I could arrive at something that isn't too expensive.

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
Try Harbor Freight and The Container store. I have cases from both but the biggest thing I put in them is a Blade QX350 and my TX.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I haven't done this myself, but I think something sturdy and safe could be constructed with a combination of DTFB for structure and spray foam for the interior. This would be able to form exactly to the shape of the gear to be carried and provide lots of protection without the need for a wood outer body. There is a great step-by-step instruction at http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4770.0 for getting the spray foam insulation into the right shape while protecting your gear during the molding process.

pungbjoern

I haven't done this myself, but I think something sturdy and safe could be constructed with a combination of DTFB for structure and spray foam for the interior. This would be able to form exactly to the shape of the gear to be carried and provide lots of protection without the need for a wood outer body. There is a great step-by-step instruction at http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4770.0 for getting the spray foam insulation into the right shape while protecting your gear during the molding process.

That is amazingly clever! Now all I need is basically a case bit enough for the gear!

pungbjoern

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a case for this thing. I've finally started finding cases that are sufficiently high (12cm), but finding something that is sufficiently deep (37cm) is proving to be very difficult. I'd like a pelican case, but I'm not about to blow 4-500 EUR on one.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Have you considered modifying your landing skids/pegs to reduce the height? If you can make them foldable or removable, then you can go with a MUCH shallower box.

No pic's of your -450, so can't really help with ideas of how at the moment, but if you can make the needed volume smaller, not only is the box easier to find, it becomes a LOT more portable.

pungbjoern

Have you considered modifying your landing skids/pegs to reduce the height? If you can make them foldable or removable, then you can go with a MUCH shallower box.

No pic's of your -450, so can't really help with ideas of how at the moment, but if you can make the needed volume smaller, not only is the box easier to find, it becomes a LOT more portable.

You can see it here. It's a DJI Flamewheel clone. As such, there isn't much I can do about the height, as a) the legs are cast and b) the electronics project downward. It turns out that width/depth is a much harder problem to solve, actually.

pungbjoern

Not only did I completely bodge the construction, this thing is heavy! I realized today, when going to the airfield, that this thing is close to impossible to carry using the handle. You can walk for perhaps 100m after you have to switch. I ended up carrying it with both hands. This experiment has been an abysmal failure. I completely have to rethink the approach. I will require something that is either a backpack or wheel mounted. Carrying something like this is simply out of the question.