CASA amending the UAV regulations

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Ah, you're too quick for me phattZz! Just spotted that on the website. This is great news - nice to see something positive come out at last.

Douglas Bader

Hello All,

New to FPV but I am hooked! I may be gulity at times at exceeding the 400ft limit but in a remote part of NSW it is a rush and the view is spectactular... I can see both side of the debate, but hopefully common sense can prevail. Lets not go the down the road of US style action which could spell the end of our sport! Yes in built up areas common sense for all but in remote areas, let "reach for the skies"

Cheers all

and never let the fear of landing stop you from taking off.....

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'm lucky to be surrounded by mountains. It's 400ft above ground level, so they extend the ceiling a fair bit when you fly close to them...

Douglas Bader

Hearing you mate, have some good drop off areas as well.. in saying that, we must be vigilant of possible legislation changes that could effect our sport!

Douglas Bader

A question for all..

What is the restrictions when it comes to flying over a Correctional Centres in New South Wales..

Some say there is restricted airspace, but others say no!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I don't know if it's restricted airspace, but I dare say you don't want to do that... Much like I live in Canberra, and think it'd be a great fpv flight over the war memorial, across the lake, around the flagpole at parliament house and back, but actually doing it wouldn't be such a good idea...

Douglas Bader

Spoke to CASA yesterday, according to them, there is NO RESTRICTED airspace over NSW Correctional Centres. The only issue is the 1000ft ceiling unless declared emergency or approach to landing... Yep ACT would have some great fly over areas.

Len02013

Has there been any more progress with CASA and there new regulations?

I am really keen on seeing what happens. I personally have a quadcopter and only use it for hobby purposes, although i could see great potential for uses at work as a bridge inspection tool.

If you haven't seen this it might be worth looking at - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...nmanned-aircraft/story-e6frg95x-1226592674640 It mentions 'CASA is hoping to finalise a draft guidance manual by the end of the year' which is promissing.

Also i noticed they are already being used in melbourne. http://www.itnews.com.au/News/343634,melbourne-firies-use-drone-to-check-dangling-truck.aspx

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
There's 'finalising draft guidance material' and there's 'amending regulations'. Realistically it'll be probably late next year at the earliest before the amendments go through. Some of my contacts in other Commonwealth agencies have been given the contact numbers for relevant CASA people to try and... 'facilitate'... the process, however CASA is notoriously 'independent'.