Caspian Sea Monster

Ground loop

Free Flight Indoorist
Greetings Capitalist Pigs! I come from Motherland with exciting news! FliteTest comrades make recent videos on Ekranoplan ground effect machines. Motherland make best ground effect machines! Best is KM class with ten engines. Comrades ask me to make model of Russian Caspian Sea Monster Ekranoplan. The CSM make Capitalist West afraid. They never see such big plane before. For glory of Motherland I make small model in foam board. Model have 510mm wingspan or 20 capitalist pig inches. This build thread for glorious KM class Ekranoplan Caspian Sea Monster.
I start with 3 view sized for 510mm wingspan.
img.jpg

Through Soviet magic (forget to take pictures) we then have fuselage.
IMG_20190915_182620.jpg

Next step build wing. Since this prototype build use foam spar. Since wing so wide I plan use two spar.
IMG_20190915_182652.jpg

Attachments

• ekranoplan_km_caspian_sea_monster.jpg
    ekranoplan_km_caspian_sea_monster.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ihichi Bolls

Been waiting for someone to attempt this.

It was high on my list to build before the quadcopter bug bit me.

Will keep up on this one for sure.

L Edge

Master member
Are you aware that there will be 3 different power settings you need to 1) taxi in water, 2) getting it on step,3) flying ?
Hope it stays in the ground effects.

Ihichi Bolls

Ill be impressed if you can get it into ground effect and keep the scale engines and not just over power it and drag it around.

That was what was stumping me. Keeping it a managable rc size and achieving ground effect without a cheater motor pushing down creating the lift and being a glorified hovercraft.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
@Ground loop is a long time friend of mine. He's a highly accomplished modeler who flies everything from F1D to discus launch gliders, so he'll put together a great airplane here. I helped spec out the power system for this first iteration...it will have plenty of power and a very low wingloading.

Ihichi Bolls

Problem with a ship like this in ground effect is they are only effective in long straight runs.

Perfect for crossing seas and long lakes.

I will assume this will be fpv as well because of the ground it needs to run on?

Dont see it doing figure eights in the driveway.:p

L Edge

Master member
Ill be impressed if you can get it into ground effect and keep the scale engines and not just over power it and drag it around.

That was what was stumping me. Keeping it a managable rc size and achieving ground effect without a cheater motor pushing down creating the lift and being a glorified hovercraft.

Do you have any pics of your setup?
When I lost the hard drive on my computer,all info was lost.
Here is an attempt to get it going by Jim.
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/testing-an-ekranoplan-on-the-water-will-it-work

I was using doing 2 motors up front that were swivel so :

1) To taxi, use differential thrust.
2) To get on step, flow from props is directed down at an angle to get under wing that was at an angle of 3 degrees positive. This was set up to provide ground effects to lift plane on step. Wing has flap/spoiler to trap and control air under wing to get on step and keep level as well as end plates..
3) Plane has elevator, ailerons and TV once on step and into ground effects motors now are horizontal. Using a k2 flight controller to set up 2 conditions and the transition from one to another.

Ihichi Bolls

I never got past thinking it thru. I know enough about all this to know when something is beyond my reach.

This was like 5 years ago when I first got sucked into FT and the forums. Now I suffer from quad brain and cant keep a fixed wing in the air much past a turn or two.

Thats why I tgrew in the statement about a glorified hovercraft.

Sounds like your ideas are pretty much same as where I started. I just had no clue how to go about it.

After watching that video i would say the elevator should have been down instead of up til it got on step then let off to neutral once in ground effect.

Specially since you have the front motors tilted down to force air underneath the craft to generate lift instad of speed tp do the work.

Once it lifted it fell victim to over correction. I think a better way to do it would be permanently tilt the front motors down a bit. Cut the elevator throws in half and adjust height in ground effect with the main engines thrust.

Maybe even make it tail heavy so the main motor has to push the nose over on top of the air.

Ground loop

Free Flight Indoorist
I make canard from 3mm plywood cut on k40 laser cutter. Laser cutter too small so had to split canard in two piece. Super glue good invention. I not using movable canard on this prototype. I use on revision 2 if need.
IMG_20190921_211027.jpg

Not sure how I build model before laser cutter. Cutting plywood joke now. Next I make motor mount. All holes line up first try. Fit like reindeer skin glove. Love it.
IMG_20190921_211032.jpg

IMG_20190921_211054.jpg

Ground loop

Free Flight Indoorist
American pig dogs! Comrade has flaperons and differential thrust working gloriously! Tomorrow I attach wing and work on tail. First flight come soon! До свиданья

Attachments

• IMG_20191021_211205.jpg
    IMG_20191021_211205.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191021_211151.jpg
    IMG_20191021_211151.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191021_211144.jpg
    IMG_20191021_211144.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Greetings Capitalist Pigs! I come from Motherland with exciting news! FliteTest comrades make recent videos on Ekranoplan ground effect machines. Motherland make best ground effect machines! Best is KM class with ten engines. Comrades ask me to make model of Russian Caspian Sea Monster Ekranoplan. The CSM make Capitalist West afraid. They never see such big plane before. For glory of Motherland I make small model in foam board. Model have 510mm wingspan or 20 capitalist pig inches. This build thread for glorious KM class Ekranoplan Caspian Sea Monster.
I start with 3 view sized for 510mm wingspan. View attachment 142752
Through Soviet magic (forget to take pictures) we then have fuselage.
View attachment 142753
Next step build wing. Since this prototype build use foam spar. Since wing so wide I plan use two spar. View attachment 142754
I only just found this thread. I all but cracked up at the intro. Even better than my Triplane Tribuild intro, and I spent some time on that! :D

Flight video soon? I know it's an indoor bird only, but holy cow! I wish you best of luck, and I can't wait to see it! :)

Ground loop

Free Flight Indoorist
American pig dogs! Glorious Sea Monster Fly! Make two circuits of field from hand launch before eating dirt. CG need adjust and canard glue back on. Sea Monster project put on hold. Resume in warmer weather. Russian winter coming and temperature dropping. Not fun be outside. Need build rubber models for indoor contest.
до свидания пока товарищи