CBO application

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I received an email, the AMA has applied to become a CBO.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I emailed Lee & he responded back. He said the FTCA has summitted an application to be recognized as a CBO. Sounds like the FAA is painfully slow in rolling out the process. He also directed me to the FTCA member portal where there was this posting.

Here is the text from the FTCA member portal, just incase the link fails.

Regulation Outlook
From the director: I really hate to say these three words, but “I don’t know.” That seems to be the answer that is most given when asked about the FAA’s movement toward FRIAs (FAA Recognized Identification Area). The FAA has not given any new information on when, what, where or even how we are going to be able to comply with their regulations for safe and restricted flight. The most that we currently have is best communicated by our friends over at FPV Freedom Coalition on their Remote ID Final Rule Summary page. I know that this does not satisfy most of our questions we have about the whole process, at least we can utilize solid information like this to better educate ourselves for the “arguments” that we will engage in.
After deflating members of our community by uttering those awful three words, the next question is almost always “then what are we supposed to do?” This question I do have an answer to, I tell them “We can prepare!” Preparation in never a waste of time and is always profitable.
So, how do we prepare for the futuristic phenomenon known as FRIAs? Well if you’re reading this email, you’re already one step of preparation further. The first, and most important, act of preparation is to be a part of a “future-compliant” Community-Based Organization (CBO). (I say “future-compliant” because that too has not been defined by the FAA.) The next step of prep work in which you should be doing is connecting with other members of the community in order to begin to establish your own type of group or club. Now this group is not a requirement, nor does not have to be formal, it would just be beneficial for accomplishing the missional objective. Another step of preparation would be to identify a geographical area that would be a site for a future FRIA. There are multiple ways to go about this, and you can read about one of our first community members to do this here, but finding a location is key.
Once you accomplish these few steps, the next step is: Have fun flying with your friends without any unusual restrictions imposed by the impending regulations. Make sure that you follow current air safety regulations set forth by the FAA and your local flying site, but enjoy the freedoms that we currently have!

Last edited:

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
Yes, we have submitted the application for being recognized as a CBO. The FAA says it can take up to 90 days. I’m confident that we will be approved and then we can move on toward getting FRIAs established. Take a look at the special podcast episode we recorded today.
Also, keep your eye on your member portal. I have been updating everyone with any information I have, although there hasn’t been much until now.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
This just emailed by AMA:

Dear member,

I am happy to announce that the Academy of Model Aeronautics has just been officially named as the first FAA-recognized Community-Based Organization (CBO). For more than a decade, Congress has looked to AMA to manage the recreational model aircraft community. We applaud the FAA for implementing the process and acknowledging that AMA’s Safety Programming is the gold standard.

Now that AMA is a recognized CBO, we can start applying for FAA-Recognized Identification Area (FRIA) status for our club flying sites. AMA’s Clubs Department will be reaching out to club officers soon via email regarding next steps for the FRIA application process.

CappyAmeric

Elite member

Dear member,

I am happy to announce that the Academy of Model Aeronautics has just been officially named as the first FAA-recognized Community-Based Organization (CBO). For more than a decade, Congress has looked to AMA to manage the recreational model aircraft community. We applaud the FAA for implementing the process and acknowledging that AMA’s Safety Programming is the gold standard.

Now that AMA is a recognized CBO, we can start applying for FAA-Recognized Identification Area (FRIA) status for our club flying sites. AMA’s Clubs Department will be reaching out to club officers soon via email regarding next steps for the FRIA application process.

I received it also.

LOL, the "old farts" barbecue club is first to be recognized by the feds as an R/C-enthusiasts organization. Shocked I tell ya! /sarc

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Once FTCA becomes a CBO I'm guessing that FTCA members can then start the FRIA application process. I haven't read the regs yet (really don't like falling asleep during the day) but I assume that a FRIA will need a local "club" since the AMA is contacting local AMA club officers and walking them through the application process. So...

I thought I'd start a club around my local field. The Northern Hamilton County Electric Aircraft Flying and Crashing Club or NHCEAFCC (since the government loves acronyms). Members may reside anywhere and there will be a US $1 membership fee due at the member's first flight at the FRIA.

Just an idea.

luvmy40

Elite member
Once FTCA becomes a CBO I'm guessing that FTCA members can then start the FRIA application process. I haven't read the regs yet (really don't like falling asleep during the day) but I assume that a FRIA will need a local "club" since the AMA is contacting local AMA club officers and walking them through the application process. So...

I thought I'd start a club around my local field. The Northern Hamilton County Electric Aircraft Flying and Crashing Club or NHCEAFCC (since the government loves acronyms). Members may reside anywhere and there will be a US $1 membership fee due at the member's first flight at the FRIA.

Just an idea.
I'm In!

Bricks

Master member
AMA getting there CBO last I seen the rules for FRIA`s was not established yet. and were not expected until Sept 2023.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
AMA getting there CBO last I seen the rules for FRIA`s was not established yet. and were not expected until Sept 2023.
No, unless they miss the deadline, September 23 is the deadline for either having rid or being on the reservation. All the rules are in place with the publishing of the A/Cs early this month.
The faa needs to approve several CBOs and then should be accepting FRIA applications winter or spring?

Bricks

Master member
Have not gotten my notice from AMA yet for our FRIA as I am the club secretary, yea more like an unpaid employee. :love: :ROFLMAO:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

Dear member,

Our club has been in contact with the AMA as of last week and has been asked to be one of the first to apply for a FRIA through the AMA, under the new guidelines. We're not sure what exactly the FAA is looking for, and we are going to be a guinea pig for application. With nearly 300 members in our club, we're one of the largest in San Diego County, and are hoping it goes smoothly. I don't think anyone at the FAA knows exactly yet what is going to constitute a pass/fail for FRIA application, but our club is going to try to navigate the process and see what happens.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Our club has been in contact with the AMA as of last week and has been asked to be one of the first to apply for a FRIA through the AMA, under the new guidelines. We're not sure what exactly the FAA is looking for, and we are going to be a guinea pig for application. With nearly 300 members in our club, we're one of the largest in San Diego County, and are hoping it goes smoothly. I don't think anyone at the FAA knows exactly yet what is going to constitute a pass/fail for FRIA application, but our club is going to try to navigate the process and see what happens.
I'm really interested to hear about your progress, can you keep us updated? I'm kind of surprised that they didn't apply for their Muncie, Indiana complex first as the test case.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'm really interested to hear about your progress, can you keep us updated? I'm kind of surprised that they didn't apply for their Muncie, Indiana complex first as the test case.

They might very well be trying the Muncie location as well; we're just one of the first because we're semi-close to multiple airports, but are in Class G airspace. Also, we're prepping to move the field early next year, so we're going to be a great case to test not only the process of getting a FRIA but switching it to a new location when we move.

Thomas B

I have been in touch with a number of AMA clubs that have submitted their FRIA application to the AMA in the last few weeks.

Heard back from a club last week that related that they were contacted by the AMA two weeks after submission. The AMA helped them tweak their application to get the correct GPS coordinates for their field. The AMA also had them adjust the FRIA area so that two buildings that were under the control of the landlord and not the club were not in the FRIA, to avoid any overflight issues. Nice to hear that the AMA is being responsive to these applications in a timely manner. I'm guessing that they are dealing with at least a couple of thousand applications for FRIAs.
There are currently around 2400-2500 AMA clubs.

Will be interesting to hear how this process goes for everyone applying.

Last edited: