CC3D Flight Board for 250 Size Quad

kah00na

How do you think a OpenPilot CCD3 would work on a 250 sized quad? Banggood.com is selling them for $29.40 now.
SKU153975-1.jpg
I had been using an Acro Naze32 and it was great, the KK2.1.5 I'm using now, is a little wobbly but can does the job.

Mustang7302

CC3D's are fine and perform similarly to a Naze32. They're both 32 bit ports of MultiWii, but they branched away from each other at some point. The cheap boards you get from china don't have a boot loader on them, usually, and will not be ready to run out of the box.

kah00na

What could the reason be between the $90 and $50 price tags? Any ideas? Are the CC3D developers just real proud of it?

DDSFlyer

A guy I fly with is using a cc3d board on his HK 250 quad and he loves it. I have no knowledge on that board and how it works or the value of it. I'm interested in getting started with Naze32 boards but haven't gone down that road yet.

kah00na

I bought a used FPV250 with an Acro Naze32 already installed and tuned. It was rock solid when I flew FPV. If you get one and get it tuned well, you'll love it.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
There are plenty of second hand CC3D's coming on the market these days as a lot of mini quad pilots are swapping them out for Naze 32's. With the higher powered mini quads many people complain of not being able to get the "locked in" feeling with them that the Naze is well known for. Of the half dozen guys I fly with that used to fly CC3D, all have switched to the Naze 32. Oh and have a look at what Blackout is using in his prototype BO 330...

Don't get me wrong, the CC3D is still a good board but why bother when you can get better results with a board half the cost.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I thought CC3D was based off of APM not MW. But I could easily be confused on that. It just has more of an APM feel than a MW feel from what I've seen of it.

As for the Naze32 vs. the Flip32. The Flip32 is basically a clone of the Naze and should be able to run the same firmware. I haven't heard from anyone using the Flip32 yet but I've been thinking about getting one to play with and clean up my big quad (and give me something 32bit to play with.) I'd go with a real Naze32 but the full versions never seem to be in stock and on my big quad I like to play around with stuff like position hold and GPS so the acro isn't really in the running for that.

Mustang7302

I thought CC3D was based off of APM not MW. But I could easily be confused on that. It just has more of an APM feel than a MW feel from what I've seen of it.

As for the Naze32 vs. the Flip32. The Flip32 is basically a clone of the Naze and should be able to run the same firmware. I haven't heard from anyone using the Flip32 yet but I've been thinking about getting one to play with and clean up my big quad (and give me something 32bit to play with.) I'd go with a real Naze32 but the full versions never seem to be in stock and on my big quad I like to play around with stuff like position hold and GPS so the acro isn't really in the running for that.

MultiRotorSuperStore has the full boards in stock right now.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
What Jhitesma said Balu. I haven't seen one in use either.

Hopefully soon you'll be able to get a full Naze 32 easier when Timecop finished the large order he is filling right now. Best place to look is on his website. A friend has a full Naze with GPS running all the wizz bang features and so far it's been a bit under whelming. Loiter has been renamed to toilet bowl mode :)

ssteve

If you were happy with the naze32 why go away from it? After a ton of reading the naze32 is really the only board I have never heard of someone not liking and going to something else that made them happier. On a 250 that is... Now if you were looking for advanced features like FinalGlideAus is referring too, then there's better options out there imo.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
MultiRotorSuperStore has the full boards in stock right now.

After posting that I realized I should have clarified. They're never in stock when I have money available :black_eyed:

That and it still bugs me that the full version is almost twice as expensive...but the only difference is two chips which only cost a few bucks each (and that's buying them individually, buying them in quantity they should be even cheaper.)

I suspect a bit part of the full board being that much more expensive is that TC isn't really interested in things like heading hold, RTH/RTL, altitude hold, Waypoints or much of anything beyond pure acro mode. If it wasn't that the MPU-6050 has both gyros/accels in the same package, works great and is dirt cheap I suspect he'd only be putting gyros on the acro board with no auto level ;)

I just hope they stay in stock for awhile now since it will be a few months before I have a hobby budget that can do more than occasionally buy some new props. I really need a few more 2200 packs right now and can't even find the funds to pick them up. Though with the ambient temp hitting 117f today (the inside of the south wall of my house was over 90 when I went home for lunch) it's not like setting the AC any lower is much of an option :D (Even set to 77 it pretty much doesn't stop during the day right now as it never actually gets the house down to 77. And that's with a 7 year old high efficiency unit with ducts we just upgraded 4 years ago.)

DDSFlyer

jhitesma, I feel you on the budgetary needs...I am in dire need of upgrading my battery supplies (need some bigger batteries for my hex and replacing a couple of 2200mAh's that are puffing) Man I need to win the lottery...

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yeah, I try not to let it bug me. Things will be better in just under 2 years with the plan I'm following. Just getting to me right now because it's the tightest time of year for me and having this loaner warp quad has me racking my brain to try and find a way to come up with the cash and justification to get my own :D

nullstring

OP's question never answered and the conversation drifted from another topic

"What could the reason be between the $90 and $50 price tags? Any ideas? Are the CC3D developers just real proud of it?"

I'm also interested why. I understand that it doesn't come with a bootloader.

kah00na

MidwestRob uses a CC3D and has spectacularly smooth videos and his flying skills are way better than mine. The Acro Naze32 I used was good, but I didn't know if the CC3D was giving him an advantage I didn't have.

Invid

MidwestRob uses a CC3D and has spectacularly smooth videos and his flying skills are way better than mine. The Acro Naze32 I used was good, but I didn't know if the CC3D was giving him an advantage I didn't have.

Rob is all skill and practice. I have both the CC3D and the Naze32 and the Naze feels more precise, and is much easier to tune. Of the two, I prefer the Naze and I had the CC3D first.

The lower price of the Naze is just a bonus.