CC3D vs. Naze32

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hi StealthWarrior15 welcome to the forum! Naze32 and CC3D are both 32bit flight controllers. Naze32 runs Cleanflight or Baseflight, while CC3D runs OpenPilot. Overall more people use Naze32 and I assume that Cleanflight is more developed, at least along the lines of miniquads and racing. The Naze has a stabilized mode like the CC3D.

If you learned on the CC3D and are happy with it, then stick with it. If you have come to the point where you can tell the limits of CC3D then go ahead and switch. Naze32 acro is only $25 and not that hard to get started with at all.

I'm sure other members can fill you in on the more technical differences between the two flight controllers. Here are some other sources if you are interested: http://blog.oscarliang.net/naze32-vs-cc3d-better/
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?8966-Naze-32-vs-CC3D-vs-Flip-Pro-Help-my-brain-hurts

StealthWarrior15

Hi StealthWarrior15 welcome to the forum! Naze32 and CC3D are both 32bit flight controllers. Naze32 runs Cleanflight or Baseflight, while CC3D runs OpenPilot. Overall more people use Naze32 and I assume that Cleanflight is more developed, at least along the lines of miniquads and racing. The Naze has a stabilized mode like the CC3D.

If you learned on the CC3D and are happy with it, then stick with it. If you have come to the point where you can tell the limits of CC3D then go ahead and switch. Naze32 acro is only $25 and not that hard to get started with at all.

I'm sure other members can fill you in on the more technical differences between the two flight controllers. Here are some other sources if you are interested: http://blog.oscarliang.net/naze32-vs-cc3d-better/
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?8966-Naze-32-vs-CC3D-vs-Flip-Pro-Help-my-brain-hurts

Thanks for your reply. I think I will probably stick with the cc3d.

Longbaorder23

as a guy who hasnt used the cc3d, (so i am biased) i say the naze is fantastic. my buddies use cc3d's and their quads are always a little jittery, or behave a little off. my naze powered 4s machine is a rocketship that would out-maneuver *all* of the other rivals in my group! it was very easy to dial in, and oneshot is helping. the cc3d needs cppm receiver signals to use oneshot, which i think is dumb, i use the individual outputs and oneshot and it works great. though i wanna try a cc3d at some point, all the guys i fly with who use it say "i only use it because i always have". though it is quite reliable and a good piece of equipment, its old, and it was designed many years ago. i think the naze and some of the new F3 (is that the right name?) racing controllers are the way of the future. cc3d was made when multirotors didnt have a 5 to 1 thrust to weight... haha. my 2 cents.

ZoomNBoom

Naze32 runs Cleanflight or Baseflight, while CC3D runs OpenPilot.

AFAIK, cleanflight runs on the CC3D too. How that compares to the naze board, I have no idea, I wouldnt expect tremendous differences. Here is a lengthy comparison: http://blog.oscarliang.net/naze32-vs-cc3d-better/

Note the correction in the comments: “
The MPU6050 is a better sensor in theory”
I think you are mistaken. The only difference is SPI on the MPU6000. CC3D is using the MPU6000 in SPI mode which is faster than I2C, and could bring lower latency.
Source: invensense.com/mems/gyro/documents/PS-MPU-6000A-00v3.4.pdf

So if you flash the cc3d board with cleanflight, Id expect no difference really. Roughly same CPU and sensors, same firmware. Just no support for hexacopter and differences in pinout and the like. Hardly a reason to switch unless your name is FGA and you can sense the difference between one cpu revision vs the other. I dont think I can :).

Last edited:
I am about to really show my ignorance, but I want to learn. I hate to admit it but I am just barely into multirotors and am flying a scratch built quad and tricopter using a kk2 board in each. I am looking to advance and built a more updated fpv quad and have come to think I may go with the KISS FC major jump I know but I want to push the envelope. My question is from the last line of Stealth Warriors first entry:

"Also does the naze32 acro have a gyro for stabilized mode?"

Someone please update me on what this means. Using the kk2 board one is either in stabilized mode or non-stabilized (acro) mode. Using the newer FC's,,,,is there some stabilization available while in acro mode? I look forward for someone to bridge the gap of what I know with the kk2 board flying to the use of the current FC's. Thanks all in advance.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I'm not positive about the Kiss FC, but any of the Cleanflight/Betaflight boards have both angle and horizon modes which are self leveling, as well as acro/rate mode which does not do any self level.

This is a pretty old thread, and the Naze is soon to be unsupported by Betaflight/Cleanflight so should not be used in any new builds. Any of the newer F3 or F4 based boards will serve you well into the future.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
"Also does the naze32 acro have a gyro for stabilized mode?"

Someone please update me on what this means. Using the kk2 board one is either in stabilized mode or non-stabilized (acro) mode. Using the newer FC's,,,,is there some stabilization available while in acro mode? I look forward for someone to bridge the gap of what I know with the kk2 board flying to the use of the current FC's. Thanks all in advance.

I think you are confused because in that statement 'the naze32 acro' is describing a model of the naze32 called the 'acro' model. Not the flight mode acro. The 'naze32 acro' was a naze32 without a barometer and magnetometer, the one with a barometer and magnetometer was known as the 'naze32 full'. Countrymlb was also confused by this naming scheme and wanted to know if the naze32 acro came with a gyro which is necessary to use stabilized/self level model. The answer to that is yes. What makes the naze32 acro 'acro' is the lack of barometer/magnetometer, not the exclusive of the flight mode acro.

With the current FCs you still fly in either 'non-stabilized' (acro/rate) mode or stabilized (angle/self-level) mode. There however is another mode, which was around even back in the day, called horizon mode which mixes both acro and self level. It is self leveling up to a point but if you push the sticks hard enough you can get a flip.

Short answer, the flight modes you remember from the old KK2 days are still pretty much the same.

Thanks Snarls. It is all confusing as a beginner begins to weed through all the details. But thanks for your help and your last comment that the current FC's still pretty much offer the same as the KK2 boards of old ( ha,,,,"old" ,,,,,just a few years back. Can you even begin to imagine where this hobby will be a few years forward??? )

darjeagahis

am about to really show my ignorance, but I want to learn. I hate to admit it but I am just barely into multirotors and am flying a scratch built quad and tricopter using a kk2 board in each. I am looking to advance and built a more updated fpv quad and have come to think I may go with the KISS FC major jump I know but I want to push the envelope. My question is from the last line of Stealth Warriors first entry:

طراحی سایت

Last edited:

ahanyekta

This is a pretty old thread, and the Naze is soon to be unsupported by Betaflight/Cleanflight so should not be used in any new builds. Any of the newer F3 or F4 based boards will serve you well into the future.
more updated fpv quad and have come to think I may go with the KISS FC major jump I know but I want to push the envelope. My question is from the last line of Stealth Warriors first entry