CCW or CW

baz.b

baz.b
As I need some electric motors, and need them to rotate Anti-Clockwise, am I right in thinking that I need to buy them as CCW, as I'm thinking this means Counter Clockwise, but NO, I have seen on eBay, that this actually means Clockwise,,,,,,is this right ?. Totally confused now.

Baz

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
CCW - Counter Clockwise
CW - Clockwise

Brushless motor direction can easily be changed by switching two of the three leads (wires) from the esc

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The only real difference between CW and CCW motors is the thread on the shaft. If you use nylock nut's it makes no difference.

baz.b

baz.b
What a brilliant site, and brilliant people in it. Thanks for that peeps. You're now on my Christmas card list.

Baz

slipshift

It seems there is a difference in determining whether the threads are clockwise or counterclockwise. In a plane, direction is the view from behind the motor. In a quad it is the direction viewed from the front.

Jim

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
It seems there is a difference in determining whether the threads are clockwise or counterclockwise. In a plane, direction is the view from behind the motor. In a quad it is the direction viewed from the front.

Jim

That is not the general convention for RC plane.

Quads are viewed from the top. RC planes are viewed from the front looking back. So its exactly the same. Full scale tends to be different.

The reason for this is, probably, is that CW (aka right handed) threads are normal so its just easier.

"Normal" props are CCW rotation requiring a normal CW (aka right handed) thread on the shaft to self tighten. This is the standard setup for all single front motor RC planes

"Reverse" props as used by a counter rotating twin (ie mounted on the front of the plane) would be CW rotation with a CCW (aka left handed) thread to self tighten.

When a "Reverse" aka "Pusher" prop is used as a pusher the motor turned to face back and the Reverse (aka Pusher) prop is reversed to face forward allowing the use of a normal CW (aka right handed) thread to self tighten.

This is much more important for RC plane gas motors because they cannot be made to run backwards.

Nylock are fine for small stuff but larger stuff should use the correct threading or some other attachment method that is not rotation sensitive like a collet, keyway, or direct mount

--Oz--

I only use CW motors (threads) as the M5 nyloc nuts are ~3 cents, lose a CCW nut and have fun finding replacments. And has been said, reversing motor direction in esc is easy or switch any two of the motor wires around.

Try-n-glide

I ordered a "CCW" motor for a scratch build. What I got was a motor that turns CW with CCW threads.

Next time I order a "CW" motor (different brand) thinking it means CW thread. What I got is a motor intended to turn CW with CCW threads. :confused:

So now I have two models running backwards motors. So I guess with quad motors you have different companies that specify CW or CCW based on either threads or intended motor direction with no apparent standard.

......of course they cam from Hobby King so that their descriptions on the web leave something to be desired is no surprise.

I just ordered some backwards props and they fly just fine. Would be annoying as hell if I had built in right thrust though.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I ordered a "CCW" motor for a scratch build. What I got was a motor that turns CW with CCW threads.

Next time I order a "CW" motor (different brand) thinking it means CW thread. What I got is a motor intended to turn CW with CCW threads. :confused:

So now I have two models running backwards motors. So I guess with quad motors you have different companies that specify CW or CCW based on either threads or intended motor direction with no apparent standard.

......of course they cam from Hobby King so that their descriptions on the web leave something to be desired is no surprise.

I just ordered some backwards props and they fly just fine. Would be annoying as hell if I had built in right thrust though.
If you put the nut on the shaft and turn the motor by hand you should see why CW motors have left hand threads. It's by design intended to help keep nuts from working loose.

Try-n-glide

If you put the nut on the shaft and turn the motor by hand you should see why CW motors have left hand threads. It's by design intended to help keep nuts from working loose.

Yes, the thread thing I understand. My complaint was the lack of consistency in description. Motors advertised as CW or CCW may have either CW or CCW threads without any way to distinguish based on the description. One company describes CW or CCW based on the thread, and another advertises CW or CCW based on the intended direction of rotation in which case the threads are the opposite.

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere
This is much more important for RC plane gas motors because they cannot be made to run backwards.

not to be that pedantic wonk but....if you have a piston port 2 stroke with symmetrical ports it's actually as easy as reversing the ignition timing. Of course you still have the issue of the threads on the prop shaft now spinning the nut loose. Rotary valve 2 strokes cannot be reversed.

On a 4 stroke, you have to have a new cam made in mirror image to the original cam and then change the ignition timing. Real Boats do it all the time with chevy 350s.

There used to be kits to reverse direction of old OS engines for use in pusher applications. There are also engines like the Super tiger which you can reverse direction by rotating the output or prop shaft casing (I assume because they are internally gear driven off the crank).

anybody who has ever had more than a few runs on the old .049 cox engines with spring starters can tell you once the ignition plate gets a little worn it is an occasional hazard that the prop kicks back and the engine starts running poorly the other way. Happened to me on an old Cox control line piper Comanche.

when reversing an engine from it's original direction it's not the worst idea to safety wire the prop nut to the prop. This way the inertia of the prop changing direction on the shaft will tighten the nut as it swings. If too small to drill the nut and propshaft for safety wire, you can always pal nut it (use a second nut and tighten it into the first one) to buy you a little extra safety.

Anyway, CCW = counter clockwise, you can reverse direction on an e-motor by reversing the polarity, and don't pee into the wind.

Last edited:

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times

Piotrsko

Master member
Simple: CW is normal threading on nuts. Acceleration on the motor shaft tends to loosen then causing the prop to fall off. You use a stop nut, thread locker, or some mechanical means to keep the prop on. Easy peasey. Reverse rotation requires the same process just different threads unless you're my old friend who is the king of crossthread

CappyAmeric

Elite member
thank you!
so if i am looking at motors for tractor style fixed wing, do i want cw or ccw?
CCW (looking from the front). Since many designs assume this you will get the correct compensation for gyroscopic precession and torque (P-factor) - otherwise many models will dramatically turn to the right as soon as you add power and start a climb.