Cessna 152, Balsa 30% Scale Rescue from Hostetler Plans

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
We used to use a similar method to paint RC car shells. You would mash the whole inside of the shell and cut out what you wanted for each layer of color. Spray that color in the pattern you wanted then cut out the next pattern and spray over the first layer plus the newly uncovered areas. Repeat until finished.

Using pin striping to line up your pieces is a great idea.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
We used to use a similar method to paint RC car shells. You would mash the whole inside of the shell and cut out what you wanted for each layer of color. Spray that color in the pattern you wanted then cut out the next pattern and spray over the first layer plus the newly uncovered areas. Repeat until finished.

I did that years ago with an RC car body and made a fairly decent copy of the Eddie Van Halen "Frankenstrat" guitar. :)

Ray K

Ray K
Looping wasn't too big a deal, but rolling was a massive loss of altitude and probably not a good idea...I was a kid back then before we had laws and rules like today...and ratings...and we didn't care...

Yeah, life was a bit different when we were kids. Like the several times I flew an F-104 under bridges. Doesn't sound like much to say it, but at a thousand mph, there was some definite pucker factor there, even for a kid.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Hmmm, a new look to the forum, hopefully this works!

I took the Cessna out today (with considerable effort to avoid hitting anything in the process) in hopes of firing it up. After gas was put in I found it was pulling fuel, but also had a fuel leak inside! Not a major one, but fuel inside is not a good idea so I quickly drained it and pulled the tank only to find it was my fuel filter not tightened properly. :)

After fixing it I put fuel back in and found no more leaks, so I was able to start the "fun" process of flipping the prop. I don't have a spinner for this engine yet which will eventually make the process MUCH easier and faster! After a lot of flipping I found the engine wants to be really wet before it'll fire, and soon it was running well and idling without touching the carb. It does idle a bit too high, but I'll address that as I run more gas through it to get it broken in before the eventual maiden flight.

It's going to have a LOT of power, even with this prop which is on the small size. I'll probably go with a 1-2" larger prop eventually, unless I find that's causing it to hit the grass too much.

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Well crap... So close to the finish line, but this build is pushed to the back-burner for a while as more pressing issues need to be taken care of. 18 months ago my wife was diagnosed with cancer, which she was able to beat after some surgery and radiation. Now, pending final confirmation this coming week from the oncologist my 17 year old son is beginning his fight with cancer. Hodgkin's Lymphoma, which is apparently very treatable depending on what stage it is and other factors. His fight will be longer and harder than her's, but we know he's strong and won't give up. It's going to be a long year for us and will hopefully bring us all closer together than ever as a family. We'll still keep things as "normal" as possible - for now we're just in a waiting game until after scans are done early this week so we can learn how treatment will go (chemo, radiation, or whatever is needed). He and I are heading to my dad's place to fly tomorrow and to spend some time NOT talking about his health. Most of my building time is gone now, although my wife and I still need our mental-health releases - flying is mine, so that's about it until we get treatment started. Building helps, but doesn't take my mind far enough away.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow my friend. I am really sorry to hear the news. I am however hoping that good news of remission will be the outcome for your wife. That is not in anyway an experience I would wish on anyone. I like everyone else will be thinking and praying and whatever else we do as a family to place good things in your families path. Stay strong for them as they will and surely need it to lean on and help them push thru.

I went thru this with my Mother when I was 17 so I know its a rough road to walk. If you need to vent or talk or just need me to say or do something stupid as I normally do to bring you laughter do not hesitate to call on me. In any case I will be sending much love and hope your way.

mjmccarron

I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't know you personally but you have crossed my path many times over the last few years here on the forum. You have a great talent for building! My families thoughts and prayers go out to your family. May you all have the BEST outcome. Stay strong and know that there are people as far away as Vancouver, Washington praying for you.

God Bless!
Mike

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
That's hard news - much love my friend. We're all pulling for your whole family.

I want to echo Jon's sentiment. I can't imagine how hard it has been with your wife's battle and how hard it will be now with your sons. May he recover fully and quickly. We're here for you brother!

jaredstrees

My thoughts and prayers are with you as well. I lost my mother to cancer, but I couldn't imagine having to deal with that with my wife or kids. Please keep us informed on the road to health for both, as I know they can beat it!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A quick update. Most of my flying & building time has been on hold, although a little here and there is done as time permits. We're a month in to my son's treatment for Hodgkins lymphoma and so far he's handling it all much better than we could have hoped. Today was the third day in a row of chemo, and although the first two days were pretty rough for him he felt pretty good leaving the hospital today. Now he's got a week to recover before one day of chemo next week, followed by 10 days "off" from treatment. Then he'll get scans to see how the cancer has reacted to the chemo and we're hoping to see major reductions. Other than losing his hair we don't see any real change in him or how he acts - fingers crossed he can continue this way!

Since he's moving along well and still spending time with friends that gives me a little extra time to play with the planes. The Cessna has been sitting in my garage for the past couple months and has finally been taken back downstairs to my shop so I can get it buttoned up. One project I've been dreading is gluing in the hinges. There are 18 total, they're big, and I'm always paranoid about accidentally getting glue on the pin. This time I'm using a little vegetable oil painted right on the pin where I don't want epoxy to harden, and the first two surfaces worked great and didn't get stuck at all. With those "test" pieces done I hope to get the rest glued up tonight. Technically it'd be ready to fly at that point, but weather is going to be hot and windy this weekend so I'll put it off for a while. *MAYBE* next weekend, I'm not going to rush it.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A little work done here and there, and there are only a few details left to go. Trim color has been finished on both sides and all surfaces & doors have hinges epoxied in place.

It needs final programming, receiver antennas need to be secured, and I want to make sure the wings are strong enough to handle flight. A couple hours total and it can get some taxi-testing. Can't wait!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I’ve been away from home traveling for work since Monday morning, but weather for the weekend is looking very good for flight. I’ll finally be home tomorrow night and will have very limited time but am hoping to finish the last details to at least get the Cessna out for some taxi testing. The engine only has a few minutes of run time so I have to be pretty careful with it!