Cessna 152, Balsa 30% Scale Rescue from Hostetler Plans

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I'm actually at the same point in my build. Did you use one piece across the top and join it to the bottom or one piece per side? I'm not sure how I'm doing the Hog yet, probably bottom, then sides and top turtle decks last. Each section separate, since the whole top end is yellow you wont see the seams as much... But this is only my second time. Yours looks great so far.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The Cessna has one big piece across the bottom which wraps up the sides a bit. Looking back I'd have been better off using a narrower piece which would put the seam lower on the fuselage and less visible. The right side then has two pieces that run the length of the tail and the left side was done with a single big piece. Although both look decent, the left side is better since it's got one less seam. The Astro-Hog has a lot of curve for the turtle deck but if you've got help you could stretch the material a bit around the curve. I did my Hog solo and had problems, but from 15' away it looks great! :) Basically, the fewer pieces you can use the better it can look assuming you can work the wrinkles out. Work bottom to top and the seams will be less visible.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Everything aft of the doors is now covered, and one more short evening should have the entire plane covered in white. I was tempted to add the tail color trim this evening, but decided to save that as a reward for finishing the base color.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
98% of the white covering is now done. The electrical switch box lid still needs final sanding and covering, and the front/rear windows will need trim, but that's about it. Now it's just a giant blank slate and I can spend some time coming up with a design. A few more ideas were found that I like, and I'll probably pick a little from each for my final choice. Black covering will go over the bare balsa that'll be visible on the nose once I confirm final windshield placement.

IMG_7155.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
As much as I liked the previous design choice I found one that I like even more! It'll be a bit harder to do, but it'll be worth the effort. The blue on top of the nose should look much nicer than the simple white design of the other as well.

26088904741_4639f9df0d_b.jpg

Templates are being made to help me get both sides the same size. The poster board I got for making the front/rear windows came in handy again on this project. It was cut into strips and taped together to make a single 6' 4" piece (yes, the plane is that long!) and then marked up to be reasonably close to the original design.

IMG_7175.JPG

I'll probably make the checkerboard pattern edges straight instead of the slight curves added to the original. Even though it'd be a nice detail it would be pretty hard to design, cut, and install properly. "Creative license" at work here, folks! :)

IMG_7176.JPG

Ray K

Ray K
That's reminiscent of the Aerobat paint jobs. My 152 had the blue glare shield like that, and it really helped.

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
That will look great and the blue will help with flight orientation too. I always wanted to fly a full scale 152 aerobat, although I have done loops and rolls in a 172 before...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I like the three color look you are going with over a base color and stripe type scheme.

BTW is it me or do the guys on the monitor look like Austin and TJ hovering over a bare engine block?

Ray K

Ray K
That will look great and the blue will help with flight orientation too. I always wanted to fly a full scale 152 aerobat, although I have done loops and rolls in a 172 before...

After I left the Air Force, I mostly flew the 400 Cessna's. Looping or rolling a 421 didn't seem like the best idea for me. I'm pretty good, but Bob Hoover I ain't!!!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
BTW is it me or do the guys on the monitor look like Austin and TJ hovering over a bare engine block?

That's a YouTube video of "Finnegan's Garage", one of the hosts of Motortrend's show "Roadkill" Although I'm not a car nut and have no interest in buying or working on cars anymore I find his shows extremely well produced and great entertainment.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
After I left the Air Force, I mostly flew the 400 Cessna's. Looping or rolling a 421 didn't seem like the best idea for me. I'm pretty good, but Bob Hoover I ain't!!!

Looping wasn't too big a deal, but rolling was a massive loss of altitude and probably not a good idea...I was a kid back then before we had laws and rules like today...and ratings...and we didn't care...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Color is going on! The black lines on the tail are chart tape I'm using to define where the stripes are going. It also allows me to get a good look at the layout before I do the actual application. One area I absolutely hate (and am fairly bad at) is the trim at the bottom of the front/rear windows. I've been unsuccessful at installing it smoothly and without wrinkles, but from a distance it's not noticeable. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish up the trim on this side, and then move on to mirroring it on the other. Trim is also still needed around the front window, more to come.

IMG_7299.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
This is my most ambitious covering design to date so it's a learning experience. I'm learning what works, doesn't work, etc. so future builds are that neater. One thing I do like is the chart tape to help guide the puzzle pieces of these stripes. I laid down the angles and main outlines to help make sure everything lines up properly. There are also a few slight deviations from the original design meant to make the job easier without really losing anything from the overall feel.

IMG_7310.JPG

A few pieces in, and while it's not Willsonman-level perfection it'll certainly be a good look as it cruises past in the air! :)

IMG_7311.JPG

Total time for this side was about 4 hours, although I still need to finish the blue on the rudder and around the pushrods. The plane will need to go back inverted to make that happen. The large field of blue looks a bit overwhelming right now, but the addition of N-numbers will really help that out. There is also some temptation to do some outlining or shadowing with a thin black pinstripe, but I'll likely be successful in resisting that urge.

IMG_7313.JPG