Cessna 182 with interchangeable position wings

cdfigueredo

Elite member
How sure are that the sewn undercarriage will ot simply pull the plastic sheet away from the detachable bottom.
By comparison the nose gear is likely to be much stronger being mechanically clamped to a thick wooden bulkhead.
If the main gear was mechanically clamped to a solid wood detachable bottom then it would be as secure as the nose leg.

Are you suggesting I should build the detachable solid wood bottom? Balsa for example?
The problem is that where I live I can't get balsa wood or anything like that.

Any other solution?

quorneng

Master member
I would actually sew and epoxy the gear directly to a piece of ply the size of the detachable bottom. This would spread the landing loads over the whole area.
The concept is to spread the high point loads from the undercarriage steel wire to a larger area of wood and finally to the largest possible area of the relatively soft foam.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I would actually sew and epoxy the gear directly to a piece of ply the size of the detachable bottom. This would spread the landing loads over the whole area.
The concept is to spread the high point loads from the undercarriage steel wire to a larger area of wood and finally to the largest possible area of the relatively soft foam.

yes, i got the point. using a thin piece of ply or hard plastic the size of the detachable bottom. like this?
55555.jpg

quorneng

Master member
Yes but the plastic has to be stiff enough that it does not bend before the UC wire does. If the plastic bends it will tend peel off the detachable bottom. Glue usually peels off at a much lower force than if it is pulled off directly.
Ideally you need to arrange that mounting is strong enough that in a "rough" landing the wire bends a bit before anything else gives way. The wire can always be bent back into shape.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Yes but the plastic has to be stiff enough that it does not bend before the UC wire does. If the plastic bends it will tend peel off the detachable bottom. Glue usually peels off at a much lower force than if it is pulled off directly.
Ideally you need to arrange that mounting is strong enough that in a "rough" landing the wire bends a bit before anything else gives way. The wire can always be bent back into shape.
I get it. I'll try to use a wood veneer or some kind of rigid plastic.
Thank you very much for your advice.
I'll post new updates later. :)

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Some news... finally i made it.
I got some wood and made a hard sheat with two pins on the front and holes. It looks pretty strong... (landing gear attached now but not pict of that yet, sorry).
1.jpg 2.jpg
when the wing is in the low position, there is a piece of EPP on the top of the plane. like this.
3.jpg
this one is not sanded yet, but is the idea...

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Awesome! Very glad you had succesfull flights - I can't view the videos from work, but will check them out tonight :D
Thanks RockyBoy.
Unfortunately after the last successful landing you see in the video, I tried one last flight and ... Well, it looks like I'll have a busy week repairing some damage. :LOL:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I was working on the decorations this weekend. I love how the color schemes of the Cessna O-1A Bird Dog US Army look.
1111.jpg
So I thought I'd adapt my model using this scheme. That's how it looks for now. It's still a work in progress.
1.jpg 2.jpg

Brianna81

Or
I have a problem with landing gears....
Original cessna 182 has a tricycle landing gear, but also don-t have a swapable wing :D. So the problem is that i cant place the main gear in the right place because the low wing will be there. (red arrow). So i was thinking to convert it to taildragger like the Tundra. I don-t like too much this solution because i would like to keep the original shape. but nothing comes to my mind now.
View attachment 125027
Someone has a better idea about this......... Please.... Maybe a diferent way to hold the main gear under the low wing???
put the wings in the tail, elevators on the front, swap the wheels around and make it like a drag car!! :D Don't listen to me though, I haven't built anything yet lol