Cessna 337 Skymaster Inline Twin. Full Fuselage

Timmy P

Cessna 337 Skymaster Inline Twin.

Hey guys I'm working on a new project, that I want to have ready by Flite Fest East. Ive wanted to build this for almost 2 years. After I finished my Cessna 180 I was ready for a bigger challenge. My aim landed on a Cessna 337 Skymaster. I think it's an awesome concept of an inline twin motor. And want to fly one just to see what it may be like.. So I started with a drawing in photoshop and created some plans to work from.. I made a few small tweaks during the build but I had the plans planned out well? I wanted a big plane so I scaled it to a 60 inch wingspan. I still need to pick out motors to use.. Its a 6 inch wide fuse so I think I need like a 14 inch prop. I think I need a motor size 2215 with a kv of about 750 to swing that large or a propeller. But Ive never used big props like that so its just a guess at this point. Let me know if you have any ideas of what motor I should be using..

Here are a few pictures of the project so far

plans.jpg
Making the plans in Photo Shop

templates.jpg
The printed templates

formered.jpg
Putting thigs together

posterboarded.jpg
Coming to form.. Looks awesome.. Cant wait to get some electronics for it.

Last edited:

Timmy P

Ok so I got some motors a couple days ago... A pair of SunnySky 2216 880kv outrunners. They might be bigger than I thought but it should fly just fine.. It will probably have plenty of vertical, and climb straight up. I got the rear posterboard done and a intake for the rear motor cooling.. I may change the intake a bit. First I want to see how much it can cool with it being a large intake. I ran teh rear motor yesterday without the posterboard over it, and with it being a pusher the motor had zero airflow over it.. So the intake will do all the cooling for the motor and esc mounted just beside it.. I hope to finish the aileron servos and figure out a elevator setup. I need longer stronger pushrods for that.. Maybe I can get this thing in the air by the end of the day...

337 with motors front.jpg
337 with motors.jpg

Timmy P

Thanks for the compliment.. I like to make cheap airframes look the best they can. I like that scale full fuse look.. It is a very wide fuselage. Its literally like a mini-van with wings lol.. And I got a scoop on it.... I may change the profile, but its good for a prototype and maiden flight..

Maxstudio

Man i hope that thing flies as good as it looks! I love the skymaster .....would love to see FT pick this up and make a speed build kit! Looks awesome!

Timmy P

So this bird is ready to maiden.. Everything is installed and tested. CG is set a bit nose heavy for the first flight. And lastnight I made some sweet graphics for it.. So now it just looks rad, And I am so excited to fly this 60" beast. I am curious to see if my motor selection was good.. I may have over powered it it.. But I do that with most of my planes. Soon Ill work on a tricycle landing gear set up. 19092977_10211907199568468_338070091933344412_o.jpg
19055189_10211907199608469_4358808970684952904_o.jpg

Ltngstrike

WELL DONE! If that Skymaster flies as well as it looks you will probably have trouble coaxing it to land! I mean, it'll probably want to STAY in the air! Awesome work. +1 on the FT speed build kit vote.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
hahaha . Fred this quote just made this build worth it... And I'll make sure to find you at FFe, let you fly one of few I plan to bring..

Ok Timmy p just made out impossible for flying monkey to miss yet another ffe. Look forward to seeing you there in a month Fred! It's been too long.

kevinc35

Beautiful work, I never got a chance to fly one but I have seen a couple when I was flying full scale back in the day. They are such a cool airplane. Love the graphics and design. I may have to see if I can build one.

Timmy P

Ok Timmy p just made out impossible for flying monkey to miss yet another ffe. Look forward to seeing you there in a month Fred! It's been too long.

Thats right he wasnt even there last year... After all, 2015 early into the morning after a few frosties he passed on the title of Event Coordinator to me. Didnt know he was so serious lol... was i the coordinator last year, and didnt even know it?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm not going to make it this year either.

You'll have to bring one down to Florida when the snows start falling again.

Timmy P

I flew the maiden yesterday... It went very well... First flight was good, but I could tell it was a hair tail heavy.. Slightly squirrelly. Now I know I have good airflow for cooling I can start to close up the front end to make it a bit more aerodynamic. Airspeed is limited lol.... But it climbs straight up so power is not an issue.. The 2215 880kv motors I picked worked well.. And got lots of flight time from a 2200mah 3 cell.. Second flight I had the battery moved forward about an inch and a half and it dialed it in.. On a stall test it didnt drop a wing tip, It just sank nicely with full back stick.. Definitely a successful airframe.. Plans will be ready in a few days..