Cessna 337 Skymaster Inline Twin. Full Fuselage

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I was impressed with the video. I watched it out in the shop on the flat screen. I love my Chromecast.

I kept wishing for landing gear, to see it roll off the ground, and because I was nervous for your fingers. :D

Fred

Timmy P

I was impressed with the video. I watched it out in the shop on the flat screen. I love my Chromecast.

I kept wishing for landing gear, to see it roll off the ground, and because I was nervous for your fingers. :D

Fred

Im not real sure how to do it.... And it look really good.. Im a bit against having retracts on a FB plane. Takes away from the simplicity. So it would have to be stationary gear. Ill experiment on later builds.. This was just a proof on concept that I could even make the thing. and it be air worthy lol... I guess I didnt have enough confidence in myself..

Timmy P

So I have a plan to build like 5 or more 337 airframes to take to FFe with me.. In hopes to maybe get a group flying and make try to get an episode out of it, and to sell a few.. Would anybody be interested in buying an airframe ready for your motors and servos for around 50 bucks?

I have 25 sheets on the straightener. Ready to build

foamboard.jpg

Timmy P

Well I've started on a few new builds.. I'm beginning to create my first wheel. And it is a steerable wheel also. I was without a hinge or a servo arm to attach so I made my own. The mount/ hinge is a soft plastic sheet. Its like melamine or vinyl, I'm not totally sure. I used 1/8inch steel rod and I brazed a small sliver of metal on to act as the servo horn. It works great and likely will never fail. And since its brazed, it wont slip on a hard landing and send the shaft up into the battery causing a fire. It seams pretty stout, and should hold up to some not so perfect landings.
IMG_8435.JPG IMG_8436.JPG IMG_8437.JPG IMG_8439.JPG IMG_8440.JPG IMG_8441.JPG IMG_8442.JPG IMG_8443.JPG IMG_8444.JPG IMG_8446.JPG IMG_8447.JPG IMG_8450.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8434.JPG
    IMG_8434.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 1

Timmy P

Getting ready for FFe, I almost have 3 complete airframes. The 3rd just needs the posterboard glued on and it will be ready for the rear motor and servos. I'll be leaving Wednesday after work and will be arriving 2 hours later lol.. Me and my buddy Ben are just a jump away in Columbus Ohio. Getting anxious to get there. See some old friends and some new. Here is a line up photo of Fuselages

IMG_8453.JPG

Timmy P

I have 3 Skymasters ready for FFe. Cant wait to see them all in the air! 60" twins in formation? I'm hoping for it. 337 x3.jpg

mech1

I know I'm guilty ... BAT 21 is the reason why this plane has taken my attention.
But this is so cool looking plane!
And you did really good job! I like it! Ty for sharing ;-)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Very interested in getting one of these from you, but I think I need to crash a couple planes I'm bringing so there will be room in the car for the return trip :black_eyed:

Are the wings removable? (as in intentionally removable with tools, not the usual way I do it with a quick vertical velocity change)

Timmy P

Very interested in getting one of these from you, but I think I need to crash a couple planes I'm bringing so there will be room in the car for the return trip :black_eyed:

Are the wings removable? (as in intentionally removable with tools, not the usual way I do it with a quick vertical velocity change)

I wont have a brand new one to sell.. But I can sell the prototype that has had 4 batteries ran thought it.. Not sure yet if I'll sell the motors with it. Depends on what I can find at the event..

The wings are attached with rubberbands. But the tail booms are attached to the wings. If you need dimensions, you can look back a page and find my drawing of the measurements. Maybe I'll see ya there.

Timmy P

I know I'm guilty ... BAT 21 is the reason why this plane has taken my attention.
But this is so cool looking plane!
And you did really good job! I like it! Ty for sharing ;-)

Thanks.. Im yet to see the movie.. But I hope I can see it tonight possibly, while I'm packing my stuff..

Timmy P

So The Skymaster got tons of attention at Flite Fest. I was constantly stopped and everytime I was flying I had somebody standing next to me asking me questions.. Even had some of the builders that inspire me walk up to me and tell me how good it looked in person. Not to mention Austin and Alex driving up to me Sunday so Austin could tell me "That Skymaster is the real deal". That was icing on the cake just as I was about to leave FFe and head home..

While there I wanted to show Alex because I know how much he likes Cessnas, Well he brought the camera crew with him and we shot an episode/segment that may be released. Who knows.. I told a few people to contact Flite Test directly if they want a kit of the 337. I would love to see many of these flying next year.. Im sure the more people ask about it, the better chance we have of all having one to fly. I dream of a Skymaster formation flight at FFe 18. haha.. Here is some video of Josh and Alex flying the Skymaster. And Also get to see a bit of Behind The Scenes footage..

Last edited:

coolrcflyer

PLANS

I and the people following your article are surely wondering if you have the completed plans for this beautiful beast of an airplane.(and if so please release them!)

Timmy P

I and the people following your article are surely wondering if you have the completed plans for this beautiful beast of an airplane.(and if so please release them!)

Ill be working on them the next couple days.. Then I'll have to do another build to test the adjustments.. I also want to have a nice build video to go along with a detail build article.. I gotta get everything perfect, And easy to build. Soon my friend..

K3flyguy

Most excellent plane, build, video, and thank you so much for sharing your passion with us!!!!! One of my favorite planes of all time ever!!! Enjoyed the Bat 21 reference!!!!! I'd love to see one in military garb, and flown hot and aggressively! Thank you again for your generous sharing!!!!!

Timmy P

Most excellent plane, build, video, and thank you so much for sharing your passion with us!!!!! One of my favorite planes of all time ever!!! Enjoyed the Bat 21 reference!!!!! I'd love to see one in military garb, and flown hot and aggressively! Thank you again for your generous sharing!!!!!

Thank you sir I try.... Its funny you mention hot and aggressively.. I just watched Bat 21 and was looking at how fast they fly it. Thinking to myself how big and fast of a motor I can put in a 0-2 version. It will definitely have a faster flight envelope. I worked on the plans lastnight.. Making a few changes here and there.

Michael9865

Elite member
Thank you sir I try.... Its funny you mention hot and aggressively.. I just watched Bat 21 and was looking at how fast they fly it. Thinking to myself how big and fast of a motor I can put in a 0-2 version. It will definitely have a faster flight envelope. I worked on the plans last night.. Making a few changes here and there.

Oooo...you said/typed 0-2 version. That was the paint scheme I was dreaming of. It was great to get to see it in person and thank you for taking time to talk to me about your Skymaster.