Cessna 337 Skymaster Inline Twin. Full Fuselage

Timmy P

Great job on the build video!

Thanks! I wasnt too sure how people would respond to the music and whatnot. I dont know if thats annoying to people that dont play games lol? Just trying to feel it out. I want to get into making more "how to" videos. So this is kinda my first big production.

Timmy P

Am I missing it or is the PDF not there. Really liked the build video. Now want the plans so can see if I can make one

Until the Build Article is approved by the FT team, you can find the PDF in the description of the youtube video. If you have any trouble with that link let me know. It should work for everyone. Thanks

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I seen yours! I liked it. It may have given me a few ideas. I think I found all of them trying to see what was out there.

I know I certainly wasn't the first to build one and mine isn't even close to the best, but it's still a great plane.

Yours looks amazing and I'm sure it flies as awesome as mine did if not even better. I never tried it with the puller/pusher set up, but I'm sure it goes even before you tell it to. :black_eyed:

Timmy P

Question.. So I notice some builders have a creation thread, and a community build thread for the same plane. Is this when I should create a dedicated build thread? I kinda think I should, so folks see the current version first and find the build video and plans first thing.

Timmy P

Cessna Skymaster 337. Plans, Build Video, Community builds

Skymaster tp.jpg
337 small.jpg

Hey guys, I figured I would make a thread for for the Skymaster build, So people can quickly find the plans and build video. Just to make it easily accessible for everyone. And this can become the community build page. Where people can ask questions and share their builds. My favorite part is seeing other people's versions. So post them!

SPECS
WINGSPAN 59 inches
SERVOS 9 gram
Motors 2216 880kv. Twin or Single. Flte Test Power Pack C Twin is perfect.
Battery 2200mah 3cell

PLANS

BUILD ARTICLE

BUILD VIDEO​

MAIDEN FLIGHT

SEGMENT IN FLITE FEST VIDEO

JOSH AND ALEX FLY THE 337

Timmy P

Anybody building yet? Has anyone found bugs in the PDF or build process? I would like to know if anyone has any issues printing or putting this plane together. Also I plan to create pdf files for the vinyl decals I put on my planes. Not sure if its helpful for anybody. But it would be cool to have, if you have access to a plotter.

rcfiddy1

Im trying to import the pdf into inkscape to convert them to a .dxf file for estlecam for my needle cutter but having a hard time. Seems something is off with the pdf format unlike Flite tests files. All I get is Empty or incompatible drawing in estlecam and a blank screen in inkscape after importing the pdf using internal import. If I import using Poppler/Cairo settings I get the pdf drawing but than I cant export line work as dxf. Im stumped.
BTW this looks great and I am looking forward to build it. Great work.

Last edited:

Timmy P

Well Im not quite sure.... I export following steps in some youtube videos I have found.. Not many options though. It could be just the way I export or something. Maybe I can get you the raw file somehow and you can make your own compatible pdf format? I have no idea. Maybe you could use inkscape to resave the pdf into something that will work.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Im trying to import the pdf into inkscape to convert them to a .dxf file for estlecam for my needle cutter but having a hard time. Seems something is off with the pdf format unlike Flite tests files. All I get is Empty or incompatible drawing in estlecam and a blank screen in inkscape after importing the pdf using internal import. If I import using Poppler/Cairo settings I get the pdf drawing but than I cant export line work as dxf. Im stumped.
BTW this looks great and I am looking forward to build it. Great work.

The reason you can't import it and convert to DXF (vector format) is because the PDFs are raster files. I'm guessing that TimmyP uses a graphics program (i.e. Photoshop, Corel, etc.) to draw his plans. If that's the case, you won't be able to easily/automatically convert this to a vector (CAD) format.

Timmy P

The reason you can't import it and convert to DXF (vector format) is because the PDFs are raster files. I'm guessing that TimmyP uses a graphics program (i.e. Photoshop, Corel, etc.) to draw his plans. If that's the case, you won't be able to easily/automatically convert this to a vector (CAD) format.

Yup, I use PhotoShop. I Do have inkscape and use it frequently. Is there anything I can do on my end at this point, to help him out?

Jeff Sawyer

Hello Tim!!

My name is Jeff Sawyer and I live in Lancaster, Ohio. I am very interested in your Skymaster. I would like to make one! Can you contact me to discuss this. I see you have videos and plans o here but I am not sure about some sizes etc. PLEASE CONTACT ME!! 740-653-1296

RMDC

Probably not a good idea to put your phone number in public posts, friend - maybe keep that to PMs. Gotta keep OPSEC in mind. ;)

Jeff Sawyer

Some questions about building this 337?

Hi Tim!

This is Jeff Sawyer in Lancaster, Ohio 740-653-1296.
I have some question about building this plane?
I am new to this foam thing but love the plane!!!
I have questions about your landing gear and the rear support?
Have you flown one yet with gear?
Also since new I would love to make this just a pinch more scale.
I see on the wing you do not have a full bottom out past the Alr. servos.
So is there a reason?
Can you make the whole bottom flat and more "scale" looking?
Since you peel the paper off of the bottom of the fuse could you make the formers a little narrower and do the same thing with it instead of the poster board?
Have you worked out the rudder deal yet using 1 or both?
How much extra Wt. do you think this thing can carry?
Say maybe 1 Lb.?
I see you can make graphics so If I make one can you make me some please?
Say both Civilian and then some BAT 21?
What would the cost be?

Thank You!!!
Jeff

Timmy P

Hey guys Ill be at Flite Fest Ohio again this year for the 5 time.. I hope to see some friends there.. Ill be willing to sell any of my Cessna Skymasters this year. Even the Oscar Deuces!! Bird Dog can be yours! Find me at the event. Or send me your # by PM and Ill find you..

161869_b8a2644f1b6ac122c9d43b3863ff8617.jpg

tnkgnr

Timmy P, this looks like a great plane...your video/plans inspired me to build my first foam-board plane and actually register on this site. I'm nearing completion on my build - just need to solder everything up and put the posterboard on.

Couple of things that have been confusing to me on the build:
1. In the description you have 1" thick aluminum bar, but it's apparent when putting it together that you used .5" - was too lazy to go back to the store so I hacked the 1" that I bought down to .5" with a grinder
2. I don't see in the plans or the build video how to attach the swappable pod. Based on the finished models, it looks like maybe you put skewers all the way through and did rubber bands on the inside where the pod guide is?
3. I guess the dots in front of the booms are the CG markings...maybe make a note in the plans and I took this to be a cut indicator (so there are two holes on top of my wing, lol.
4. Maybe note in the plans that the second hole on the boom (for rudder) is an option (I learned the number 3 lesson and didn't punch that hole!)

You've done a fantastic job putting this together, and I cannot wait to fly it - when I do, I'll be sure to post pics and video. Oh, how did you do all those fancy graphics for the O-2, they look great!

Greg

Edited with semi-finished plane, done up as O-2, and link to maiden flight:

Attachments

• Skymaster.jpg
    Skymaster.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 0
  • O-2.jpg
    O-2.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: