Cessna Skymaster

quorneng

Master member
Of course the Skymaster has the advantage of no motor torque or asymmetric thrust with an engine out, both useful attributes in a model.
My scratch built 52" foam job (actually an O-2 'special ops' variant) flew extremely well with masses and masses of spare power.
21Apr18.JPG

Hand launch and belly land (which that fuselage did very nicely on grass) with just 'bank and yank' controls.
A throttle mix allows the front motor to be switched off in flight. Like that and flown super economically it had an endurance of 3/4 hour on its 2200 mAh 3s.

Cowood2676

Of course the Skymaster has the advantage of no motor torque or asymmetric thrust with an engine out, both useful attributes in a model.
My scratch built 52" foam job (actually an O-2 'special ops' variant) flew extremely well with masses and masses of spare power.
View attachment 154990
Hand launch and belly land (which that fuselage did very nicely on grass) with just 'bank and yank' controls.
A throttle mix allows the front motor to be switched off in flight. Like that and flown super economically it had an endurance of 3/4 hour on its 2200 mAh 3s.
That’s a great looking plane. You wouldn’t happen to have any plans?

quorneng

Master member
Cowood2676
Sorry no plan as such. It was actually built from this 3 view suitably 'blown up' to size as it included a full set of fuselage cross sections .
O-2sections.jpg
Downloaded the wing sections from the internet.
All 3 mm grey (easy to paint black!) Depron with just the motor bulkheads, wing bracing struts and the spar flanges in balsa.

OliverW

Legendary member
You should check out the hostetler skymaster. My dad had wing failure on his so you probably would want to beef it up if you were to build it

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
View attachment 154990
any plans?

quorneng

Master member
any plans?
Sorry. As explained it was scratch built from a 3 view tile printed to the appropriate size. The size was such that the 9x6 prop was scale size.
The trick was the 3 view included fuselage cross section. The actual structure was built using my experience from previous similar builds.
The big advantage, if you can do it, is that you can build anything if you can find a 3 suitable view.
There is a detailed build blog here