Help! CG got me puzzled?!

Piotrsko

Master member
Balsa wood comes from.......Balsa Trees. In the amazon. Honest. I have made so much balsa shavings from sheet and block that I killed a forest of trees to supply my habit. Many sheets of 1/16 in a 100 ft tree.

If you want a super trick airfoil that makes your plane fly a certain way, you go look in the NASA airfoil ordinates tables where they give you all sorts of data that doesn't require more than a calculator and a pad of paper. Old school before CAD / computers, plotters and laser cutters.

You remember notepads?

Tench745

Master member
This may sound stupid, but I think your problems will all but go away if you put the landing gear on it.
If you look at the fuselage, from the side it makes a bit of an upside-down wing shape, but the camber of that shape is behind the center of lift on the wing. As you throttle up the prop pushed more air over the fuselage, creating lift that is actually sucking the tail down. If you put the landing gear on it will turbulate the airflow across the underside of the fuselage and kill a lot of that inverted lift. Plus, the gear will add drag on the underside of the fuselage, causing the nose to pitch down anyway.
If you don't want to bother with the whole landing gear assembly, just put a flat piece of foam in the landing gear slots that sticks out maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch and see how that affects things.

mayan

Legendary member
I am old but didn't understand a word you said. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: +1.

This may sound stupid, but I think your problems will all but go away if you put the landing gear on it.
If you look at the fuselage, from the side it makes a bit of an upside-down wing shape, but the camber of that shape is behind the center of lift on the wing. As you throttle up the prop pushed more air over the fuselage, creating lift that is actually sucking the tail down. If you put the landing gear on it will turbulate the airflow across the underside of the fuselage and kill a lot of that inverted lift. Plus, the gear will add drag on the underside of the fuselage, causing the nose to pitch down anyway.
If you don't want to bother with the whole landing gear assembly, just put a flat piece of foam in the landing gear slots that sticks out maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch and see how that affects things.
That sounds interesting and will be tested. Thanks!