• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

CG problem on the FT Spitfire

Sebi

Hi,

I succesfully built the FT Flyer and Delta, they also fly very well. Now i moved on to the spitfire. Now that it comes to balancing i have a problem: The plane is quite tailheavy. To fix that i could put an additional 2s 2200 in the front and the plane balances fine. (Im using a 2200 2s as my main battery, which wighs about 150g) Do i need to get a 3s and aditional weight, or are there any other ways of solving the problem. My cg is aboud 2cm more towards the tail than the normal one.

-Sebi

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You could parallel them and have a 4400 2s and monster flight times...

As far as other ways to balance, if you can't do it with the battery, you can add lead to the nose. It's always better to get it close during the build by using your components to make it happen but if all else fails, just use some lead where you need it.

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
I would measure the amount of weight you need, either by using objects of a known weight or batteries of a known weight. Then I would simply buy a 3 cell battery that weights close to that weight. You may also have a lightweight motor on there, and you can never have enough power, maybe adding a larger motor and battery will do the trick and the motor will be able to cope with the added weight needed to balance the airplane.

I try not to put in additional dead weight, I always try to include more battery if I need more weight in the front, that way you at least get more flight time and power. Dead weight is just that, dead weight...avoid it till you have no choice but to use it...I find there's always a better alternative than using death weight..sometimes it costs money..

Sebi

Ok it seems like the CG isnt that big of a problem. I now know why its off: my Motor is to weak. I need to get a bigger one and maybe my Spitfire will fly then. At least it glides ok :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Cool! at least you found the problem and that one is pretty east to fix. Just keep in mind for your next build that it is always easier to plan out where to put all the components so you don't have to add any dead weight. I only do it as a last resort when all else fails.