CG Problems - FT Versa Wing and Blunt Nose Versa Wing

kiteboarder

Hehe. I haven't finished mine. I got a little discouraged with the while balance thing and put it on the backburner - I really didn't want to run such a big battery PLUS add weight. Regardless, it nearly 90% finished so I will might as well finish it soon.

That said, I'm going back to the regular Versa. With the right battery, the space issues in that one are easily overcome.

Skeptic

Hehe. I haven't finished mine. I got a little discouraged with the while balance thing and put it on the backburner - I really didn't want to run such a big battery PLUS add weight. Regardless, it nearly 90% finished so I will might as well finish it soon.

That said, I'm going back to the regular Versa. With the right battery, the space issues in that one are easily overcome.

I was frustrated with my BNV as well. Huge balance issue when upgraded to the Suppo 2717/7. I went through a series of changes to get balance right. I moved motor forward (not enough) I added batteries.(fail) Wasn't enough room I purchased Zippy 4000mah compacts (didn't arrive in time to save the day). Added weight (ugh). After a crash from pitch sensitivity I split the wings open and started mocking up box fuselages and formers(ugly). I was determined to find an "elegant solution." I was very discouraged. Every thing I built just didn't work of fit well enough to put it back in the sky.
I shelved the BNV and was going to write it off as "This airframe has defeated me." I even purchased the speed build kits for the FT-3D and the F22 today. Complete proof I had given up on this wing. Then I see this tread... Out came the BNV. I built my new center section and drop down box, more robust spar and have rejoined the wings. Very excited I think this is going to work BUT!... I ran out of hot glue !@#$%
Now I'm just waiting for my new 80w Gun and High temp glue to finish this up. Updates when there is progress.
Thanks for the great idea I really think this is a good solution for the BNV already built and need a mod or two to keep flying.

I was frustrated with my BNV as well. Huge balance issue when upgraded to the Suppo 2717/7. I went through a series of changes to get balance right. I moved motor forward (not enough) I added batteries.(fail) Wasn't enough room I purchased Zippy 4000mah compacts (didn't arrive in time to save the day). Added weight (ugh). After a crash from pitch sensitivity I split the wings open and started mocking up box fuselages and formers(ugly). I was determined to find an "elegant solution." I was very discouraged. Every thing I built just didn't work of fit well enough to put it back in the sky.
I shelved the BNV and was going to write it off as "This airframe has defeated me." I even purchased the speed build kits for the FT-3D and the F22 today. Complete proof I had given up on this wing. Then I see this tread... Out came the BNV. I built my new center section and drop down box, more robust spar and have rejoined the wings. Very excited I think this is going to work BUT!... I ran out of hot glue !@#$%
Now I'm just waiting for my new 80w Gun and High temp glue to finish this up. Updates when there is progress.
Thanks for the great idea I really think this is a good solution for the BNV already built and need a mod or two to keep flying.

Awesome. This is really a great airframe. I strapped a Mobius I got for xmas to the front and took over 30 minutes of video from which I got this shot. Well worth the trouble of a pusher to keep the prop out of the pic. Just a nice clear view of my town with no nose, prop, or anything.

Overhead.jpg

kiteboarder

I found a VERY elegant solution. I'll report back soon. I've been too busy building a Blackout quad... but I think you guys are going to be stoked when you see how I fixed the BNV.

debay777

I Love $Tree foam
COG and a question or two

I found a VERY elegant solution. I'll report back soon. I've been too busy building a Blackout quad... but I think you guys are going to be stoked when you see how I fixed the BNV.

I'm on my second BNV. I did not understand the totality of the tail heavy issue this bird has. That being said, I'm on my second. A few things I noted. The center section had a wider chord than the wings. This was consistent on both builds. Once joined I trimmed the center to match the wings. Being as I'm taking weight from the back of the wing I'm assuming this makes no negative difference in plane behavior. Does it? It was prob an 1/8 to 1/4" wide. Maybe less. I also got to looking at the servos. They seemed to be too far back. I just went ahead and made the wing without them installed and have them mounted vertically well ahead of the 6.3" recommended CG. I also sealed the rear hatch and moved all of the electronics to the front section to get as much weight forward as possible.

As it sits right now with everything soft mounted except the control rods and motor wire extensions I have 2 large butter knives in the nose as well as a 2200 mah lipo. At 6.3" from the nose it balances nose heavy. As in the nose drops as soon as you let go of it. However, move the CG forward as little as 1/4" and it gets almost balanced but rocks back. Where is the exact sweet spot on this plane? Is there a CG calculator that takes into account the blunted nose? I've minwaxed, painted, and detailed this plane and don't want a rumpled foam airplane on the maiden.

And by the way..... What did you discover?

kiteboarder

Hah! I'm sorry, I've been so busy I haven't been able to complete it and maiden it. Basically, I cut at the back of the wing to bring the entire motor and prop further inboard. This brought the weight far forward enough that I was able to balance the wing properly with a slim 3000mah battery and FPV gear. Photos to come when I get a chance to finish it. Looks good and clean too.

cutterp

Hah! I'm sorry, I've been so busy I haven't been able to complete it and maiden it. Basically, I cut at the back of the wing to bring the entire motor and prop further inboard. This brought the weight far forward enough that I was able to balance the wing properly with a slim 3000mah battery and FPV gear. Photos to come when I get a chance to finish it. Looks good and clean too.

How are those pics coming of your Versa mod?