CG/

flyinmike

Any one have any idea where cg would be on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?
143117694-37f17acb-1e3c-4695-baf5-9e11ca80b481.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If I had to guess between the weight of the motor and long nose vs the weight of the heavy wood boat tail Id say even split right at the base of the windscreen.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i would say where the panels on the bonnet stop and it starts to curve up, just behind the rear cylinder exhaust.

quorneng

Master member
I would be more concerned about its inherent aerodynamic instability than the position of the CofG. Without some form of horizontal tail surface the wing will need significant trailing edge reflex.
After all it was just a movie prop.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I am building it from the movie poster and a still shot of the car.
I’d make a rough outline of the top view in sketchup. From there you can find where 25% of the wing area is. CG at 25% of the wing area is a good starting point.

Great looking project.

flyinmike

I would be more concerned about its inherent aerodynamic instability than the position of the CofG. Without some form of horizontal tail surface the wing will need significant trailing edge reflex.
After all it was just a movie prop.
Josh Bixler made a pig fly.

Piotrsko

Master member
If you're going fully scale, that horizontal nose surface is REALLY going to bugger up the aero unless you pivot it like a full flying elevator at which point it will act like a canard. As a canard, I suggest a CG about the LE of the main wing. I believe it also had a rudder somewhere around the trunk.

To really get a pig to fly without lifting surfaces, you need lots of vectorable thrust ie: about 2X pig weight. That however will be unfortunate for the pig surviving

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
Josh Bixler made a pig fly
But if you look carefully it did follow basic aerodynamic stability rules.
As a low wing you will need significant dihedral on the wing for lateral stability as well as some form of longitudinal stability or with appropriate control surfaces added 'go tech' and use a 3 axis gyro stabilised system.

Last edited:

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Josh Bixler made a pig fly.
J Bix made a Versa Wing fly, with a pig attached to it.
CCBB is going to be a bit more of a challenge, brother. Rooting for you!
EDIT: CCBB had copter-like props on each wing tip, too. This could get interesting.

Last edited:

flyinmike

If you're going fully scale, that horizontal nose surface is REALLY going to bugger up the aero unless you pivot it like a full flying elevator at which point it will act like a canard. As a canard, I suggest a CG about the LE of the main wing. I believe it also had a rudder somewhere around the trunk.

To really get a pig to fly without lifting surfaces, you need lots of vectorable thrust ie: about 2X pig weight. That however will be unfortunate for the pig surviving
It had a horizontal surface fore and aft however, I feel both would be overkill. Trial and error. The best tool for inventors is failure. Also please watch the flitetest vid of the flying pig.

Flite Risk

If I had to guess between the weight of the motor and long nose vs the weight of the heavy wood boat tail Id say even split right at the base of the windscreen.

A thought, just make a frame for the wind scteen to allow air to pass through it as to lower the effect a solid wind screen would have on aero. Its going to need all the help it can get.