Challenge- How Slow Can You Go??

Hollywood

I am enjoying all of the Flite Test videos on youtube. Inside the cockpit, getting behind the plane is a bad thing. Inexperienced RC fliers like myself want to stay ahead of the aircraft until we ease into flying a little faster and getting comfortable.
So here is the challenge: Create aircraft in the swappable configuration, either with the standard, or mighty mini size power pods. Have a competition between hosts focusing on how slow the aircraft can fly. Could be a real fun episode having "slow races", and a great test of design.

Raptortech

Foam Addict
Well there are tons of planes that can hover, and thereby go VERY slow! So maybe you should say like how slow can you go below a 30 degree angle of attack. That eliminates high alpha too.

johnmw

propulsion impromptu
I am enjoying all of the Flite Test videos on youtube. Inside the cockpit, getting behind the plane is a bad thing. Inexperienced RC fliers like myself want to stay ahead of the aircraft until we ease into flying a little faster and getting comfortable.
So here is the challenge: Create aircraft in the swappable configuration, either with the standard, or mighty mini size power pods. Have a competition between hosts focusing on how slow the aircraft can fly. Could be a real fun episode having "slow races", and a great test of design.

would autogyro be allowed?

Ace2317

Build the Old Speedster and you'll find out. It's the slowest plane in my hangar (in just straight and level flight).

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
They could do the challenge for each plane to test the pilots skills. Everyone gets a pass with say a storch, then a bloody wonder, etc.
The pilot with the lowest overall speed wins.

Hollywood

The concept wasn't , or did not account for 3-D. The show concept is more about a design that will fly very slow without hanging from the prop. I think an ultra slow design might help accomplish one of the primary FT goals of bringing new people into the hobby.
A little bit of competition on design and flight skills is the entertainment part of the episode. We all seem to enjoy the challenges. Think 100 mph for 100 bucks,, just backward.

Well there are tons of planes that can hover, and thereby go VERY slow! So maybe you should say like how slow can you go below a 30 degree angle of attack. That eliminates high alpha too.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
The concept wasn't , or did not account for 3-D. The show concept is more about a design that will fly very slow without hanging from the prop. I think an ultra slow design might help accomplish one of the primary FT goals of bringing new people into the hobby.
A little bit of competition on design and flight skills is the entertainment part of the episode. We all seem to enjoy the challenges. Think 100 mph for 100 bucks,, just backward.

I hope they build this one then. It was the first one I built and I need a slow plane. sr71afan doesn't have plans for it but I was hoping Josh and friends would make one for the masses. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...ter-job-of-creating-this-mesmerizing-airplane

Corbarrad

I visit this model fair here in southern germany every year and they got this little area of the foyer cordoned off for indoor flying.
Every year there seems to be a competition as to who can fly the biggest plane in there. Here's a little something from something from 2014 that should bring a smile to the face of a certain moderator...

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I've "parked" almost all of my FT Foamies in the sky with the help of the right winds :) Really odd looking to see a plane just sitting still in the sky with the motor going :D