Chance of flight

Plane

Hi
If I had a cardboard plane that has a 110cm wing span with flat bottom wings an 2200kv brushless motor witch a 6 to 8 inch propeller and a 30 amp esc with a weight of 4 pound would you say there’s much chance of it flying
Many thanks

d8veh

Elite member
It depends what you mean by flying: Maintain level flight, yes. Do aerobatic manoeuvres, no.

4 pounds is quite heavy. What sort of plane is it and exactly which motor are you thinking about?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Cardboard is not a great material for making planes from, it's not very stiff and heavy compared to foamboard, depron or balsawood. It also looses what strength it has if it gets damp.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
What is the wing cord and planform? It is difficult to work out wing loading based upon wing span alone.

The Motor power would also assist in determining an answer to your question. Kv is not a power measure but rather a measure of the motors unladen maximum revolutions per second.

Generally speaking the plane could fly but it really is quite heavy and would require a lot of speed and power to fly. also it could be very poor performance especially if the structure is not sufficiently rigid to support the weight.

More info = better answers!

have fun!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Hi
If I had a cardboard plane that has a 110cm wing span with flat bottom wings an 2200kv brushless motor witch a 6 to 8 inch propeller and a 30 amp esc with a weight of 4 pound would you say there’s much chance of it flying
Many thanks
Back in the glow engine days, I used to make planes from cardboard. I would sheet the plane with cardboard instead of balsa. It actually worked well, my planes did not as good but the cardboard made them a lot tougher. I agree with @CarolineTyler, foamboard or depron would be a better choice but if I could not get either of them, cardboard would be my next choice. I'm guessing you could build your plane a lot less than 4 pounds, I think it will be under 2 pounds. Your setup on a 2 pound plane would work. A lower kv motor might be a better choice.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks is it better to runway lunch or a hand lunch
The plane is already very heavy so adding landing gear will mean even MORE weight.

Better to hand launch until you are sure that it can fly!

Have fun!

quorneng

Master member
Plane
From the wing dimensions you have given the wing area is 1.77 sq ft.
A 4 lbs all up weight gives a wing loading of 2.2 lbs/sqft or 36 oz/sq ft.
This is very high for a plane of that size meaning it will have to fly fast and need a lot power to do so.
Even if it did fly I would question whether you could throw it fast enough for a hand launch.

At half the weight it would start to become a practical proposition and at 1.5 lbs all up it would likely fly quite well on the power you suggest.
Sorry but weight is a key factor in planes.

Plane

Yeah well after I put this on I thought 4 pounds could not be right so I weight it on different scales and it comes in at 1.7 lb including battery
Sorry about that