Changing "airframe" in Openpilot on an Eachine Racer 250

I just got an Eachine Racer 250, and I love it. My first FPV racer...been having fun with it and getting it tuned in.

I have an issue though....

I switched props from the stock Diatones, since well...the stock props seem to be waaaay too soft. Got some DAL 5040s. Anyway, when you set up the FC, OpenPilot asks towards the end of the setup procedure for you to select an "airframe." This isn't the whole "X" or "H" part of setup....this asks you to pick a specific BRAND and MODEL.
Now, the Eachine isn't on there. At first I used the "generic," setting, but then tried seeing if any of the other options worked. Well, now the quad flips sometimes when I am correcting for drift.
My questions -

1 - Can I change the airframe back to "generic," without doing the whole setup process again?
2 - Can new airframe profiles be loaded up, and does one for the Eachine exist?

I mean, worst case, I go back through setup, but that is a pain when I am simply trying to tune everything and get my PIDs and such going. Actually, I feel pretty good about my current PIDs. I had some serious wobble on my descents, but with the DAL props that seems to have gone. The stock props were probably bending on descents....they are that sucky.

RGJameson

Well have you measured your quad? Is it more of an X or an H? I would try going by the frame dimensions and investigate the frame choices offered and shoot for rough match.

No answer yet. It works fine with "generic," I just wondered how I could change the frame type without running the setup wizard again.

I highly recommend the Eachine Racer 250! A lot of the kinks have been banged out of it, and the one I got was well made and is a solid flyer. The flight controller can also be flashed to CleanFlight or anything else that runs on a CC3D. For the value, it can't be beat.

Just go with better props than stock.

Bricks

Master member
What it is asking is if you want to use one of the preconfigured PID`s. You can try any of the 250 size quads each is a little different because of weight and motors size. the QAV is pretty close to the Eachine that is the one I have been using but in Librepilot.

jobbzz

I also have te ER250 and I am really satisfied with it. My tip, try to flash it to cleanflight/betaflight. The standaard luxfloat PIDs fly great (way better than it ever flew in OP), you only have to increase the yaw rate.

Yeah, let me ask you something about that...

This is my first FPV quad and the biggest I have truly flown so far. And it got it because it was such a good beginner quad.

I was thinking of holding off on CleanFlight, until I can fly better, BUT I am basing this on the assumption that CleanFlight is sort of for more advanced folks than I. So, what is your opinion? WOuld I be better getting more hours in on OpenFlight or CF?

Oh, and the durability of this quad is NICE. I did this the other night....

All that happened was that the GoPro I had on the front camera platform levered the rubber balls free and the camera and platform took a tumble. Used the headlights on the quad to find the one ball that popped completely loose in the dark. My DAL props were immaculate too. The stocks would have exploded in that crash. Really loving these DAL 5x4.5s....

Bricks

Master member
I have been using Librepilot almost as much of a newb as you, what I find about Betaflight a bit more involved in setting up the GS and flight controller and it is still experimental. Maybe if I understood the total GS I would go for it but have read many newer people having problems getting there quad set up properly and then having problems trying to go back to OP. My Eachine has been working very well with LibrePilot so I will stay with that until I get more time working with PID`s and the rest of the programing.

Richmond2000

on youtube there is a guy called painless360
and he has a GOOD "playlist" on the CC3D and from a beginners on up
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYsWjANuAm4r-E61stLchCR4bzY3NmDNh

Librepilot IS built from the "ashes" of Openpilot that apparently died/ dropped CC3D last summer and according to painless360 the openpilot DEVS created the LibrePilot project FOR the CC3D SUPPORT

my take away is there IS a way to change the preset PIDS to a different "airframe" and as MORE people submit there PIDS there will be MORE to choose from

I have ordered the Eachine 250 racer and hope it is as good for me as it is for you so far

jobbzz

Yeah, let me ask you something about that...

This is my first FPV quad and the biggest I have truly flown so far. And it got it because it was such a good beginner quad.

I was thinking of holding off on CleanFlight, until I can fly better, BUT I am basing this on the assumption that CleanFlight is sort of for more advanced folks than I. So, what is your opinion? WOuld I be better getting more hours in on OpenFlight or CF?

For me the main reason switch to Cleanflight with betaflight was the weird oscillations when I descended or did a 180 yaw turn. It just felt like it could fall from the sky any moment. By switching over to cleanflight the problems were gone immediately. It is true that it is a bit harder to set anything in up in the beginning but once you finish your initial setup the hard part is over and you will be glad with the results.

If it is even possible to finish your initial setup depends on your transmitter, you have to be able to reverse your stick inputs, adjust stick range and it is preferable to fly PPM although I fly pwm and it works just fine.

If you are interested in switching to CF with BF here is a useful video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m0Fj5ct9vU