Charger compatibility

ofiesens2

Professional noob
I have 2 850mAh 3 cell batteries from LazerToyz for my FT swappables. Can these be charged with any LiPo charger, or do I have to buy a specific brand? I would like to use the LiPo charger I have from my Super Cub, but I'm not sure if you can safely charge between brands.

earthsciteach

It will work, but you really should invest in a programmable charger when you can. They are worth their weight in gold and you can buy one for under $40.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Well, the brand does not matter, but the charge rate does. If your .85 amp hour battery has 2c charge rate, then it can be charged at a max of 2X.85 or 1.7 amps. Your HZ supercub charger supplies a fixed rate of 1.3 amps to the lipo. I could not find any charge rate info on your Lipo, so I would suggest charging it at 1c or .85 amps/850Mah. Unfortunately you will have to purchase a different charger to supply that current, such as this one: http://www.lazertoyz.com/I-Max-B6-Charger-Balance-Charge-_p_475.html I hope this helps! If you have more questions, then ask away, there are people far more experienced than me who can help too.:D
Edit: Sorry EST, my IPad was not agreeing with the website, and I couldn't type very fast. I hope this helps anyway.:p

Last edited:

ofiesens2

Professional noob
On the LazerToyz website, in the swappable power pack, there is a picture that says "5C charge". Would you recommend charging at 5C or something lower, like 2 or 3C?

earthsciteach

I always balance charge my batteries at a rate lower than the max. If you aren't pressed for time, take it slow!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thank you. Have you used or would you recommend the Turnigy Accucel 6 or the IMAX B6?
I use the Accucel but both of these have very good feedback and will keep you safely charging for quite some time. You won't outgrow either of those any time soon is what I mean...

And like Teach said, better to charge at a lower rate than the batteries max C rating. I always charge at 1C and balance charge. For me, it just makes sense to make my batteries last since they are the most expensive of the expendable stuff. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

ofiesens2

Professional noob
I've become lazy, and I still need a charger. Both the Turnigy and the iMax can charge my Lazertoyz batteries, but the chargers do not carry the XT60 leads, which I know come with most medium to large sized batteries from HobbyKing. Can you buy different cables with the XT60 lead on it, or do you need its own unique charger?

EDIT: I just found this one on HobbyKing. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11060__HobbyKing_ECO6_50W_5A_Balancer_Charger_w_accessories.html Would this work for both XT60s and JSTs?

Last edited: