Charger Setting Issues

Hello Forums,

I have a IMAX B6 (might be a clone... not sure) that I'm using to charge my Gremlin. Now, the trouble is, my battery is a 550 mah, but the B6 only allows me to select a capacity of either 500 or 600.

Can I just balance charge it like a 600 mah and the charger will just shut itself off early, or do I need to keep it at the 500 mah setting? For a bigger battery, this might not be an issue, but at this size, that extra 50 mahs would be *maths in head* almost 10% of my flight time, right?

Thank you!

Fyathyrio

That's the charging rate (mA, not mAH), not the amount it will put into the battery. You will be fine at 600mA. It will trickle down once 4.2V/cell is reached and only put in what the battery can take.

Thanks Fyathyrio!

The display actually reads "C= 500 mAh" and has the charge rate (.5A) next to it. Could this be an issue? I would think you're still right about it trickle charging and shutting off when the cells reach the right voltage. Either way, I'll try it outside first! :)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
mAh is a capacity (like how full the tank is/could be). The charger calculates how much more to charge by readings it takes not by numbers you plug in. Just liike a gas pump (how they're supposed to work) the machine will sense how full it is and will slow down/shut off when it reaches full (4.2V/cell).

I always pick a low charge rate just to save on wear and tear of the battery. The C rating tells you what it is designed to be able to charge/discharge but I just use that as a number never to exceed. My normal charge rates are kept low.

Fyathyrio

Thanks Fyathyrio!

The display actually reads "C= 500 mAh" and has the charge rate (.5A) next to it. Could this be an issue? I would think you're still right about it trickle charging and shutting off when the cells reach the right voltage. Either way, I'll try it outside first! :)
Appears that the charger's programmers are a little confused over terminology. The .5A charging rate is correct, technically that will equate to 500mAH if it runs for an hour, but the battery will normally be charged before that time is reached. Time varies between charger brands, but it usually takes about 45 minutes to fully charge a battery at 1C rate from 3.7V/cell.

This is dependent on choosing the balance charge function, just choosing the charge option may cause the charger to act differently. (Never tried it, I just always balance charge.) Balance charging has 2 steps, first is constant current up to max level you set (.5A here) with increasing voltage to 4.2V/cell, then constant voltage with decreasing current down to about one tenth of current start point. Current will normally fluctuate some during this stage, moreso if the cells are out of balance.

Last edited: