Help! Charging a Flitetest Tattu 3S LiPo Battery

Dazzy

I need to purchase a battery charger for a Tattu 3S LiPo Battery 45C (11.1V/1800mAh) (JST-XH)w/XT-60 Connector and was wondering if anyone can confirm if this charger will be acceptable?

link : https://www.auselectronicsdirect.co...MIguW5nqyy6gIVwX0rCh1lawNAEAQYAiABEgJAT_D_BwE
Capture1.JPG

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
For that price point, I would get a programmable charger that will let you set the exact power output that it is running instead of a fixed current like the one you show there appears to be. I got a dual port programable charger for a bit more then your price point there not to long ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0894DHCDK/?tag=lstir-20 . I am sure someone else can point out a single port or other one that is a better choice.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
that charger would be charging at 1.67C for that specific battery (the batteries i have are good up to 2C charge rate, but are recommended for 1C charge rate - so is probably ok), doesn't appear to have a storage option (to put your battery at a good 'storage' voltage for between days out flying). Also, consider if you end up with any different sized batteries... that one isn't adjustable to account for differences in capacity.

leaded50

Legendary member
it will for the chargings case.., BUT, your battery have a XT-60 connector, and the charger show only a T-plug (Deans) on pictures, do check if it have other connectors, or you need a adapter too.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
this is my goto charger for 2 to 6 cell batteries. it works great and is often found on sale for 25-30 dollars us. I dont have too much experience with other chargers other than an old school 4 button charger. I like the smart nature of the turnigy or others of this design.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...OPgxdB0uAbqVMUS7IrxoCcCAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit: the last link you posted would be suitable if you chose that style it works fine

Zetoyoc

Elite member
oh, a follow up to the charger I posted above. it is set up for xt60 both input and output. in the field, you can use a large battery to charge many smaller ones. and at home, I use a 19.5 volt laptop charger I got from a second-hand store, chop the end off the charger and solder on an xt60 works great.

Dazzy

this is my goto charger for 2 to 6 cell batteries. it works great and is often found on sale for 25-30 dollars us. I dont have too much experience with other chargers other than an old school 4 button charger. I like the smart nature of the turnigy or others of this design.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...OPgxdB0uAbqVMUS7IrxoCcCAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit: the last link you posted would be suitable if you chose that style it works fine

@Zetoyoc Hey Jesse that battery charger looks like it will do nicely, I dont see any power source cable mentioned by HobbyKing so what did you do there?

oh, a follow up to the charger I posted above. it is set up for xt60 both input and output. in the field, you can use a large battery to charge many smaller ones. and at home, I use a 19.5 volt laptop charger I got from a second-hand store, chop the end off the charger and solder on an xt60 works great.

As I understand it an XT60 is just a cable am I right here?
Can you share an image of how you setup this up?
Can you share an image of how you setup up the 19.5 volt laptop charger?

Edit: Much appreciated or all the replies here, Ive got so much to learn. :)

Zetoyoc

Elite member
The xt60 is the plug shape. It is the style I use on all my batteries . Some use deans. And there are others. Xt60 is quite common so I standardized to that.

This charger is a DC in charger. Either use a bigger battery with an xt60 plug to charge smaller ones. Or get a DC source and put an xt60 plug on it. A very common one is a laptop charger. The one I have is 19.5v out.
Here. Are photos of both options battery or power brick

IMG_20200704_180647_resize_49.jpg

IMG_20200704_180756_resize_85.jpg
IMG_20200704_180734_resize_64.jpg

The only downside here is you'll need to get a few plugs and solder it onto the wires after you cut off the barrel plug that comes on the charging brick.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/genuine...975&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

I haven't done it yet but you can also get a lighter adaptor for a car and put an xt60 on it and charge from your car too. just maybe don't leave it charging in your car in case of fire.

Dazzy

The xt60 is the plug shape. It is the style I use on all my batteries . Some use deans. And there are others. Xt60 is quite common so I standardized to that.

This charger is a DC in charger. Either use a bigger battery with an xt60 plug to charge smaller ones. Or get a DC source and put an xt60 plug on it. A very common one is a laptop charger. The one I have is 19.5v out.
Here. Are photos of both options battery or power brick

View attachment 173701

View attachment 173703 View attachment 173700

The only downside here is you'll need to get a few plugs and solder it onto the wires after you cut off the barrel plug that comes on the charging brick.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/genuine...975&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

I haven't done it yet but you can also get a lighter adaptor for a car and put an xt60 on it and charge from your car too. just maybe don't leave it charging in your car in case of fire.

@Zetoyoc Thanks Jesse Im sorta understanding the new tech for these chargers now.

Is this Turnigy charger suitable for the Tattu 3S LiPo Battery 45C (11.1V/1800mAh) (JST-XH)w/XT-60 Connector from FT?.

I cant identify from the hobbyking link where the balance charge leads come from on the Turnigy charger.
In your 1st picture I cant identify which is the source and which is the battery being charged ( blue source)?
Can you clarify the extra leads from the blue battery and the green battery?

Are you using the balance charge leads in the 1st pic?

whackflyer

Master member
@Zetoyoc Thanks Jesse Im sorta understanding the new tech for these chargers now.

Is this Turnigy charger suitable for the Tattu 3S LiPo Battery 45C (11.1V/1800mAh) (JST-XH)w/XT-60 Connector from FT?.

I cant identify from the hobbyking link where the balance charge leads come from on the Turnigy charger.
In your 1st picture I cant identify which is the source and which is the battery being charged ( blue source)?

The Turnigy charger will charge any Lipo with 6 cells or fewer. As far as plugs, that's personal preference. Say you have a plane and battery with Dean's plugs, just get a Dean's lead for your charger and you're set!

Zetoyoc

Elite member

I think I forgot to plug the balance leads in on the first picture since it was just staged for that shot. I don usually charge battery to battery.

if you look at the link I posted for the charger and scroll through the images included you will see the left side is input and the right is output and includes the balance lead slots for 2-6 cell batteries.

and to answer your question the I had the 1300mah version of that battery you are asking about and used it a lot with that charger. the one you have listed will work exactly the same way

i am pretty sure i found some good reviews of that charger on youtube when i was researching it originally. lookup turnigy up610 and you should be able to find a video or two. hope that helps

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I need to purchase a battery charger for a Tattu 3S LiPo Battery 45C (11.1V/1800mAh) (JST-XH)w/XT-60 Connector and was wondering if anyone can confirm if this charger will be acceptable?

link : https://www.auselectronicsdirect.co...MIguW5nqyy6gIVwX0rCh1lawNAEAQYAiABEgJAT_D_BwE
View attachment 173597
I always recommend the Protek Prodigy, or the new Flite Test Branded charger for beginners. They work, are affordable, don't harm the batteries, and are able to charge large 6s packs at the proper speed. Some chargers are rated up to 6s, but can't even charge a 4s 3200 at 2 amps. The Protek Prodigy can charge a 6s 4000 at 4amps, so if you ever move up to planes that use those batteries, you won't have to upgrade your charger. Another good thing about the Prodigy is that it can charge LIFE and NICAD. That's important if you ever get into combustion engines, or large electric planes which need a seperate reciever pack. Plus, they can discharge your batteries too.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Cant go wrong with any of the B6 models or their clones. They are simple and relatively cheap. I got one to start and still use it today. I just added a venom pro 300 dual charger a while back so I can charge more then one pack at a time without parallel charging.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I personally like the HiTec line of chargers, but that's me...I had an RDX1 that was a great little charger and would do 1S all the way up to 6S (although, it would take FOREVER to charge a 6S battery), and it was an AC/DC charger, so I didn't need a separate transformer to charge with it.

I recently upgraded to the X2 AC Black, which was a REALLY nice AC/DC charger, and came with all of the cables I needed to use for charging - AC power cord, DC plugs, and it came with two Deans and XT-60 plugs. It's a little more pricey (I think I paid $115-$120 for it, but I honestly don't remember the exact amount off the top of my head), but it's a lot like that Venom Pro 300 dual charger in that I can simultaneously charge 2 different batteries of different chemistries (i.e., LiPo on one side, Li-Ion on the other) and different cell counts (which happens more than you'd think; I'll charge a 3S for my Versa Wings for combat, and a 4S for my quad, or a little 2S for my UMX Timber and my 1S batteries on a parallel board for my TinyWhoop).

One of the nicest features I've found with it is the ability to use an app on my cell phone to scan in a QR code, which sets the battery cell count, type of battery, and amp charge rating, all with a simple scan.

Is it overkill for some? Without a doubt. But I'm REALLY happy with it, and I get to watch my wife do a little dance every time it finishes and says, "Battery is fully charged! Battery is fully charged!"