cheap action camera

Ranger_107

Elite member
I am looking for a cheap action cam that records without anything other than it and a micro sd card.
I have a Hero 7 but I don't want to waste it if the plane gets lost.
Any suggestions or is there a recorder device that will work with an fpv cam?

FDS

Elite member
SQ12 or SQ13
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SQ13-Car...hash=item521e69c613:m:mkuhV4ScxZiIVATGfg0BceQ
If you want to record FPV camera feed you use a DVR. FPV feed recording is not as good as using even the above cheap camera because unless you have DJI fpv its all in analogue standard definition.
You can use a dual camera like the Caddx Turtle V2 or Runcam Split. They are an FPV camera with an HD recording lens added. They record to SD on the circuit board. You need a VTX to see the FPV feed but the HD is totally separate, despite sharing the camera body.

Last edited:

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I have been looking at the runcam split to mount on a 2 axis pan & tilt...... I just ran across the RunCam Hybrid anyone tried this one yet and have an opinion?

gsjsrt.jpg

Ali F

The Caddx Tarsier is better.
@FDS if I want to have 2 cameras, one for FPV and another for HD recording, its better to use one camera that can do all the job? Better than use a switcher module and 2 cameras?
If yes, the Caddx Tarsier is a very good one?
I will use it with Eachine EV800DM goggles.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
@Ali F

I havent used mine yet still deciding if im going to return it, but Caddx Tarsier is a delicate unit, there are complaints about it and doesnt last long
it only works with 32gig micro cards although the manual states 64gig, (ofcourse I bought the recommended highest quality 64gig) many guys complained not much recording room with only 32gig for a 4K cam, it may also only record in small clips you need to stitch together

I think you need a cell phone to make camera setting changes thru wifi, and its reported that your best not removing the sd card just using your cell phone and wifi to get your video recordings, the dvr is too delicate to keep removing the micro sd card the ribbon cable is extremely weak my has split in strands just looking at the unit and is reported a weak point in the unit....and they give you a spare, they know its an issue

do some reading on reviews first

Ali F

@Ali F

I havent used mine yet still deciding if im going to return it, but Caddx Tarsier is a delicate unit, there are complaints about it and doesnt last long
it only works with 32gig micro cards although the manual states 64gig, (ofcourse I bought the recommended highest quality 64gig) many guys complained not much recording room with only 32gig for a 4K cam, it may also only record in small clips you need to stitch together

I think you need a cell phone to make camera setting changes thru wifi, and its reported that your best not removing the sd card just using your cell phone and wifi to get your video recordings, the dvr is too delicate to keep removing the micro sd card the ribbon cable is extremely weak my has split in strands just looking at the unit and is reported a weak point in the unit....and they give you a spare, they know its an issue

do some reading on reviews first
I see!
So, the RUNCAM SPLIT 3 MIRCO is a better choice?

Hoomi

Master member
I was going to suggest the Matecam 808, but apparently, they're no longer being manufactured, and the few remaining on Amazon have more than quadrupled in price. I bought mine for under $30, and now, it looks like they're listing for around $140.

I have 2 of them, one of which I've had for over 2 years, and for a cheap little camera, I'm surprised at the quality of video it takes. They're small, lightweight, low profile, and one of the things I liked about them was, if something happened to the mounting or the plane, I wasn't out a couple of hundred or more for one of the higher-end action cameras.

I need to look at some of the other keychain cameras, and see how they compare.

This was recorded using one of my Matecams:

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I see!
So, the RUNCAM SPLIT 3 MIRCO is a better choice?
sorry I have no experience with the run cam split

@Hoomi
Ive used the 808 # 16 keychain cam for years, I recently wired it up for FPV use but havent tested it yet, the latency is minimal not enough to stop me from flying FPV, there is a little jello with some 808 # 16 cams if your airframe vibrates too much, ...open it up and squirt a little "hot snot" on the lens casing to stop it vibrating fixes the issue for most users, its not the best cam like the 4K I just bought but it works fairly well

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have 3 original runcam Splits that all just quit working after very short life spans. I layed off ALL micro splitish boards for a few years as the tech was fairly new. I just picked up a Caddx Turtle V2 to try in my Strix Alatus race wing. We'll see how that goes soon. Just need to set my throws, then throw it in the air.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The whole problem with the split type cameras is the developers have made the HD part of the system the controllable part settings wise when that should be set to a totally neutral setting and have the FPV part adjustable. As it is the splits I have tried are unsafe for FPV flight when flying in changing conditions of bright light to shade and back.

For fixed wing its not so bad when in the air but may become an issue when landing if the ground goes dark on approach because of this issue.

Ali F

The whole problem with the split type cameras is the developers have made the HD part of the system the controllable part settings wise when that should be set to a totally neutral setting and have the FPV part adjustable. As it is the splits I have tried are unsafe for FPV flight when flying in changing conditions of bright light to shade and back.

For fixed wing its not so bad when in the air but may become an issue when landing if the ground goes dark on approach because of this issue.
What about the RunCam Hybrid?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have not tried that one. However given Runcams not paying attention to the users of their gear Im gonna go out on a limb and say they have not changed software and its the same as the other mixed mode systems.