• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

cheap camera/gimbal or runcam2 stills?

Sup guys,

Recently i've become very interested in aerial photography/photo orthomosaics via agisoft. The F450 flamewheel I'm flying now has a 600TVL FPV camera that came with my fatshark predator V2 set but it's obviously not good enough for taking photos.

First off... how does one trigger a camera to take a photo in the air? I'm running a CC3D fcb. Do some cameras have settings that allow them to take a photo every 1/3/5/10 seconds?

Second... gopro hero 3's are expensive and the gimbals that stabilize them are also expensive... are there any cheap and cheerful alternatives?

Third... i'm probably gonna buy a runcam2 soon and was actually considering using stills from that camera as a proof-of-concept kinda thing.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm really short on cash and don't wanna make a foolish decision.

Thanks,
newpilot01

xaomi yi should work. it has a time lapse mode to take photos every 1 3 5 10 15 30+ seconds. I have tried using it for mapping but never via autopilot so the results were not that great.

Paul

noted. camera looks good, thanks for the info. do you know a common way of triggering a camera in the air preferably from a transmitter? rigging up a servo to press a button seems crude... surely there's a better way.

It would be difficult but I think it is possible.

With the now popular auful selfie stick (ugh) there is an input to trigger the shutter from the button on the stick which connects to a connector on the camera. I have no idea what to do after that, just an idea. But also the servo isn't a bad idea either. Sure it's a bit sketchy, but there always a little bit of sketckyness in anything DIY right?

[/First off... how does one trigger a camera to take a photo in the air? I'm running a CC3D fcb. Do some cameras have settings that allow them to take a photo every 1/3/5/10 seconds?
QUOTE]

I've got a blade 180qx that came with a cheap little camera that is activated by a momentary switch on the transmitter . I've been using it on other aircraft with it hooked to channel 6 and triggered with the momentary switch on my taranis. the only other action cam I've seen like that is one made for the dromida brand. it's a wonder more of them aren't set up like that.