Cheap CCD cameras

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Hi guys,

I need another camera or two for FPV. I really like the Sony 520TVL CCD I got from Hobbyking, and was going to buy another one for $30, but then thought I'd have a look at ebay and DX. Both have 600TVL super HAD CCD cameras very cheap:

ebay

DX (genuine Sony)

Anyone (know someone who's) used either of these?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, that's a good camera. With the Australian dollar as it is it's about $42. I'm especially curious about the ebay one, as I could get 2 cameras for the cost of one sc2000 one. But if the settings are terrible, or it's just plain bad, it's obviously better to get the more expensive one.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, I might order one of those. Looks like delivery is very slow - 22 business days... I need another camera sooner than that, so I've ordered a 420tvl job from DX for the shorter term (7-ish business day delivery usually). I've got a 2.1mm lens for it which should make it more usable.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I avoid CMOS for fpv. They generally don't adjust to changes in light conditions very well. Even the GoPro, which has some decent processing power, isn't ideal for FPV because it's a little slow to adjust to changes to light.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yep. Good camera by the looks of it. I'm curious to see how the 420tvl camera compares to my 520tvl one... In theory, both max out the resolution displayed by my fatsharks.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Hooray! It's finally here! I'm now working on the wiring. I'm trying to figure out what to use as the power connector, but the only things I've got plenty of are Deans. I guess they'll have to do!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
First impression - absolutely terrible. I focussed up the stock lens, and it's really struggled with the low light. Everything was grainy. However I changed over the lens to the 2.1mm one I had spare (on which the fov is a tad too large) and the picture is just as good as my 520TVL camera. The next test will be in daylight against the sun and seeing how quickly it adjusts, but that's going to have to wait until we next get a bit of sun - it's going to be stormy and rainy here for the rest of the week.

I've teamed up the camera with my 100mW 5.8Ghz tx, and I'm trying to decide what I should fly with it. I wanted to put some FPV gear on my Red Eagle wing, but every time I stick a camera on there I realise how much it bumps around.