Cheap Fatshark Goggles

Innaviation

Recently I have been flying, and crashing, my tiny whoop around, and have been enjoying viewing it on my EACHINE EV800. I wanted to both be able to record and to have a lighter more compact goggle (something like a Dominator v3) but have trouble getting over the hurtle of how expensive Fatshark goggles are. Because of this I was wondering if anyone new of how I could get a pair of Fatshark goggles that are cheap.

FDS

Elite member
The only cheap Fatsharks are old V1’s. They are expensive because everyone wants them. I bought my Dominator V3’s second hand and they were still over $200, incidentally I discovered the DVR doesn’t Work!
The cheap way to record the footage is to buy a separate DVR or sell your 800’s and swap them for 800D’s which have a DVR included. The footage from whoop cameras is never that amazing since they are standard definition cameras. If you get a bigger quad later you can just add a combined camera and DVR with HD recording like the Runcam Split.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
"Cheap Fatsharks" are an oxymoron. LOL The cheapest new pair that you can buy, I believe, is the Dominator HDOs, at $500. You might be able to find some older versions, like the Attitude v4 or Dominator HD, but they're older models that have been discontinued and may not be able to be found easily.

People who have Fatsharks love their Fatsharks and aren't usually willing to give them up. If they are selling them, it's usually because they had the lenses exposed to sunlight and ruined, or they tried to take them apart to install something like a LaForge system and shorted something out, or something equivalent. Be cautious if you are buying a used set, know all of the features of the set you are looking to buy (for example, Teleporters don't have adjustability for eye distance; I demo'd them and got a headache; switching to a pair of goggles that offered it, the problem went away).

You can get away cheaply with other goggles, but in this case, I think you get what you pay for.

FDS

Elite member
Box goggles are perfectly acceptable to fly with, I use my D800’s with my 5” sometimes.
I wouldn’t buy new Fatsharks, that’s a ridiculous amount of money to spend. DVR footage is always low resolution, you don’t gain anything by having it except if you crash and need to work out where you went.
Far better to put the $$$ into buying an HD capable micro quad that has onboard SD card. That way you have another cool quad, more money in your pocket and can shoot 1080/60 instead of recording grainy FPV feed.

Innaviation

Box goggles are perfectly acceptable to fly with, I use my D800’s with my 5” sometimes.
I wouldn’t buy new Fatsharks, that’s a ridiculous amount of money to spend. DVR footage is always low resolution, you don’t gain anything by having it except if you crash and need to work out where you went.
Far better to put the $$$ into buying an HD capable micro quad that has onboard SD card. That way you have another cool quad, more money in your pocket and can shoot 1080/60 instead of recording grainy FPV feed.
On that note do you know of any good micro quads capable of that.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Have you looked into the Spektrum Google's? I see the reviews are good. It's a fatshsark goggle with Spektrum logo on it. Heres the link.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/SPMVR2...gKjuDUQK02xMAE8SFAjrRp_drfS5DoR0aAiHZEALw_wcB
Less than 400 for new fatsharks. Not bad.

They’re not bad, but they’re essentially a pair of Teleporter V4s rebadged as Spektrum. It’s also got an internal battery that is limited to 1800mAh, which really was a show stopper for me. I prefer an external battery that I can replace, or even use the Fatshark packs that utilize 18650 batteries.

As for using your phone for FPV, don’t try it. There is significant delay in trying to use a phone to fly; you can be a full second or two behind what’s really happening.

If you’re after CHEAP Fatsharks, either you’re going to be buying used (and most likely buying someone else’s problems) or you’re going to be buying a pair of box goggles like the Fatshark Transformers or Quanum Cyclops.

If it’s all about price, to paraphrase Admiral Farragut: “Damn the quality, lowest price ahead!” Buy yourself a pair of box goggles and stick with that. You’re not going to find anything cheaper than those. If you want the smaller, lighter, actual Fatshark brand, you are either relegated to buying used, or coughing up the cash for the expensive (but worth it) brand.

kdobson83

They’re not bad, but they’re essentially a pair of Teleporter V4s rebadged as Spektrum. It’s also got an internal battery that is limited to 1800mAh, which really was a show stopper for me. I prefer an external battery that I can replace, or even use the Fatshark packs that utilize 18650 batteries.

As for using your phone for FPV, don’t try it. There is significant delay in trying to use a phone to fly; you can be a full second or two behind what’s really happening.

If you’re after CHEAP Fatsharks, either you’re going to be buying used (and most likely buying someone else’s problems) or you’re going to be buying a pair of box goggles like the Fatshark Transformers or Quanum Cyclops.

If it’s all about price, to paraphrase Admiral Farragut: “Damn the quality, lowest price ahead!” Buy yourself a pair of box goggles and stick with that. You’re not going to find anything cheaper than those. If you want the smaller, lighter, actual Fatshark brand, you are either relegated to buying used, or coughing up the cash for the expensive (but worth it) brand.
I do t think he was talking about wifi for your phone. They make VRX's that connect to your phones USB. The latency on them is very low. I don't personally own one but I've been eyeing them for awhile now thinking about using it as a second headset so I can take my wife and son on flights with me. Here's a link to what I'm talking about on Amazon.
FPV Receiver, EACHINE ROTG01 UVC OTG 5.8G 150CH Full Channel FPV Receiver for Android Mobile Phone Tablet Smartphone (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VZYLYH/?tag=lstir-20
It even splits the screen for you so you can then use some cheapo virtual reality goggles with it, which I have a pair laying around. I might buy it and if I do I'll let you know what the quality is.

FDS

Elite member
I have one like that, not sure of the model number (it’s in a cupboard somewhere) it was awful to use most of the time. The description says 100ms latency, which sounds high. Mine was certainly very jerky and produced a feed you couldn’t fly from.
For that price you can get a set of the basic Eachine goggles which do work fine for most things.