Cheap FPV monitor setup :)

fpsazerbaijan

Hi everyone, just thought I'd quickly share my SUPER basic FPV setup.
IMG_0276.JPG

I was trying to think of ways to make a cheap FPV helmet in order to start flying fpv with my new Bixler, and as my budget doesn't really stretch to FatSharks at the moment, I came up with a small monitor strapped onto an old bike helmet. Really easy to make, and although I haven't actually used it for FPV yet (I haven't got my new 5.8Ghz 200mW system from HK-super slow post haha) I have spent a good 30mins watching TV, and I'm really happy with the results...

So for anyone looking to make something similar, here's a list of everything I used:
4.3" Display from eBay- £15
Old bike helmet I had lying around- £0
Some cheap brackets from Homebase in the UK (two right angled ones to mount on the helmet, and two straight ones to extend the reach, keeping the monitor further from my eyes...)- £3.79 (difficult to find so here is the link to the straight bracket, I can't find the corresponding right-angled bracket that I used, so I recommend just going into HB and having a look around... (http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=314176&Trail=searchtext%3EMENDING+PLATE)
Some old screws, nuts and bolts I had in the garage to connect it to the helmet and extend the arms to lengthen the viewing distance- £0
Lots and lots of hot glue :)- £0 (if you've already got a glue gun...)
Some self adhesive velcro from Poundland to hold the screen onto the mount- £1
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S from HK- £6

And that's it!
Hope you've enjoyed my little setup description. Feel free to ask any questions, I'll be more than happy to help out :)

Happy flying,
Al :)

Last edited:

PaulT

Mentor
The Canadian version would include a couple beers strapped on each side with at least two rolls of duct tape!!!
My god it's true what they say about Scots!! And yes I am at least half Scottish so I can say that!
I can hardly wait until it gets sunny and see what you come up with for a shade. :p

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Might end up with a big hat over the top for two reasons;

1. To provide shade to prevent glare;
2. Take attention away from that funny thing on your head!

:)

(Good work by the way)

fpsazerbaijan

Last edited:

msev

fpsazerbaijan will the monitor you use show static or go into blue/blackscreen when signal is weak?

fpsazerbaijan

Hi! The screen will not go blue unless you unplug the video receiver cables from the monitor, if the video signal is weak, the screen will just go fuzzy like you'd expect it to...

Happy flying,
Al :D

msev

Al may I ask you to make a video of it while you hold the transmitter antenna or in some other way try to induce bad signal...So that I could see with my own eyes how the handling of static looks like :)

fpsazerbaijan

Hi! I'll certainly give it a go for you, although being a newbie, how would I induce bad signal?
My video helmet is in the final stages of completion, only need to find a way to mount the battery and FPV receiver now :)

Happy flying,

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
LOL Either that tape mentioned above as it is usable for nearly everything!

(Just a random idea for a FT episode/challenge! Make a plane completely out of Duck Tape. Only electronics like servos are allowed and least stuff of carbon and pushrods etc. as possible :D:D Fun to watch definitely)

Also don´t forget Zipties and Velcro!
Often you forget about what to use to I thought I´d mention them

FPVking

Two magnifiyng glasses between eyes and screen and you have a diy goggles my friend. Just block the surrounding light also.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Two magnifiyng glasses between eyes and screen and you have a diy goggles my friend. Just block the surrounding light also.

*starts looking for a magnifying glass*

EDIT: HOLY FLYING COW! IT WORKS!

Last edited:

msev

If you have two stock vertical polarized omni's you could put them at 90 degress to each other inducing
polarization loss and weaker signal, ...Gradually changing angle from 0 degress to 90 degress.....Or maybe you could try putting something between the antennas..

Thanks!

Hi! I'll certainly give it a go for you, although being a newbie, how would I induce bad signal?
My video helmet is in the final stages of completion, only need to find a way to mount the battery and FPV receiver now :)

Happy flying,

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
@André: I mean COMPLETELY out of Duck Tape execpt the usual electronics + you know small parts like pushrods, control horns and motormount.

And one allowed carbon rod to fix the two sides and no more.

However the idea above is quite cool :D