Cheap FPV Setup for begginer

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
You cannot get much more rural than me. I have over 800 acres of my own to fly on and countless acres around me with no population at all. The area I live in has WAY less than 1 person per square mile average. Much of it doesn't even have cell phone coverage and no broadcast radio stations either. Filtering is not a big issue. I can add filters for any bands that might be an issue but I bet there are none. A notch filter should work on a receiver as well as a transmitter.

Thurmond

Last edited:

Nonamerc

Arman
Welcome to Texas, where we don't have persons per square mile, we have square miles per person! :D

Hahah let me rephrase that:

In capitalist Texas we don't have persons per square mile,we have square miles per person!

Last edited:

Nonamerc

Arman
!REMEMBER!

If you life in Europe it's illegal to use 900MHz for FPV. Also your range won't be very good near other people because mobile cellphones also use 900MHz. BUT if you life in a country where it's legal and if you live in a very rural arrea like tritium you can fly long disctances..

So after much time spent on research...
This is my plan for my very first fpv rig..
Suggestions for improvements would be great :)

www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11974__2_4GHZ_100mW_Tx_Rx_1_3_inch_CCD_Camera_PAL.html

This rig is fully uk legal when I get my ham licence ( to the cost of about 40quid)

Then I will need a screen..
And I was thinking.. there are hdmi-av adaptors available on ebay.. and I could link this to my laptop.?
Not ideal because of sun on the screen and wot not but cheap !!

Any one thinking this wont work.? :)

I am not familiar with HDMI - but in the case of VGA the laptop can't work as a dislay. If the laptop can use HDMI as an input, then that could work as long as it's not laggy. Otherwise you could resort to this:

7" TFT LCD Color Car Rearview Headrest Monitor DVD VCR | eBay

Oh, and you should not use 2.4 GHz for video if you use it for RC control.

I think you might be right but I was kind of hoping that someone knew for sure..
Thanks for the link tho.. cant really argue with the price £25 !!
Pretty handy it has the mounting stand/bracket.

And thanks for the advice and nit using 2.4 but luckily I did my research and am going to use my 35mhz tx I have laying around..

Tad worried about wifi interference using 2.4 as video... hear that some booster people might have could have UK ILlegal outputs but.. I don't know to what extent it will affect me..
My 9x has never lost signal but..

dilemmas

Just to be sure, check the shipping as well, I think it might be a few pounds extra...

And good decision on using the 35MHz Tx with the 2.4 video system.

still a pretty good price..

my main problem that i have.. its i rather like the idea of chasing a plane that my friend is flying while in fpv and having a seperate camera (HK wingcam) recording it, but i wont be able to if i use the 2.4Ghz vtx/vrx..

buts its just the extra cost of getting a 5.8Ghz system..
Its a shame HK dont do the same package i linked before in 5.8Ghz.. as id get that without a thought (especially as i will be maintaining LOS anyway so dont need 'long/medium' range fpv equipment..

any suggestions anyone..?