Cheap FPV Setup for begginer

Tarragon Keogh

Im only 15 and very new to FPV and was wondering if anyone could prompt me or help me into the right direction to buy a fairly inexspensive Multi rotor Fpv setup :D

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Im only 15 and very new to FPV and was wondering if anyone could prompt me or help me into the right direction to buy a fairly inexspensive Multi rotor Fpv setup :D

I'm not 15, but I was 15 only a few years ago - and I know what it's like. I can tell you from the start you will have to work hard to save up enough for the first FPV setup.

- Build a Quad first, learn to fly it, then get FPV.
- Expect to spend no less than $180 on the quad, $120 on FPV.
- Sounds like it's impossible, but it's not. And it's friggin worth it.

Tarragon Keogh

Ok sweet, i have had a fair amount of flying experience with both multirotors and rc planes so far so that isnt really a problem, but still thankyou =) but yeah as you said its the saving the money part in which poses the problem,, i appreciate your support, but would you be able to help with any links to pages and stuff like that ?? =)

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Hobbyking is your friend! I'm 16 myself and spent all last year with no money! Get a job is all I can say, it pays off in the end! And doing lots of research before you buy helps too.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Ok sweet, i have had a fair amount of flying experience with both multirotors and rc planes so far so that isnt really a problem, but still thankyou =) but yeah as you said its the saving the money part in which poses the problem,, i appreciate your support, but would you be able to help with any links to pages and stuff like that ?? =)

Well, I don't know what multicopter you want... But if I could do it all again I would start with a quadcopter instead of a tricopter. Less complexity for an only slightly larger price tag.

A good place to start is dadde's page: http://www.rcexplorer.se

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
ahahhah no good !!!!!!

I know, right? I am planning to make my own Aerial Photography FPV Quadcopter, for that I expect to spend about $900. Just the quad could easily be $200.

BTW, the $180 I stated above was if you didn't have a Tx, if you have one, just the quad would cost around $100 - $120 to build.

Tarragon Keogh

Yeah i currently have a Spektrum DX6i with the RX
And ahah thats basically what i was planning on doing, but i think im just going to start small for now and work my way up to that,
But yeah good luck with it

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yeah i currently have a Spektrum DX6i with the RX
And ahah thats basically what i was planning on doing, but i think im just going to start small for now and work my way up to that,
But yeah good luck with it

Thanks, likewise.

I have been aiming at this, but I might try 5.8 first... This one is expensive for sure, but an 800mW transmitter can get you VERY far with good antennas! However, I'm not as interested in distance as I am interested in a solid video link behind obstacles.

Aerial Video System [AVS-1300-800-KX6] : RangeVideo!, Wireless video solutions.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
go with 2.3ghz from Aerial video systems. Their 700mw tx should get you rock solid video at any range you can get in a quad. You want to buy my receiver? :D

Nonamerc

Arman
Hi Tarragon,

Age is not a problem I was 13 when I started flying FPV and I am 14 now. It's important that you know what you are doing before you buy your FPV system ;) Also how far do you want to fly and do you want to fly behind objects? Also what do you mean with inexpensive?
And in which country do you live, there are some regulations about which frequency you can use and how much mW you can use.
If you have any more questions just ask them and I will help you out. Kinda busy with exams so there could be some delay.

Arman

@Colorex The information on the site says that it wont interfere with 2.4 GHz but that's partly true. The filter solution does not work for everyone...

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Wait, your 16, and in college, Carbon?
I am only 16 myself, and although I've done some cool things, College, already?
I'm very impressed with that.
Sorry to Hijack the thread.
A DX6I should work great.
I may follow this thread as I get into quads and tricopters.
Edit:
Whoops, didn't realize this was a two page thread, I wanted to post this a while ago, and checked the forum right after I finished my Latin. Posted by mistake.
Sorry.

Last edited:

Nonamerc

Arman
The reason why the high mW transmitter is so cheap is because it's really bad quality... The 900 mhz/1.3 ghz receiver has bad filtering which decreases your range. Go with the 1.3 ghz vrx and the 1.3 ghz 300mw vtx it's a good combo.

What are you toughts on the notch filter does it work? And how is your rc?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
The reason why the high mW transmitter is so cheap is because it's really bad quality... The 900 mhz/1.3 ghz receiver has bad filtering which decreases your range. Go with the 1.3 ghz vrx and the 1.3 ghz 300mw vtx it's a good combo.

What are you toughts on the notch filter does it work? And how is your rc?

Ready Made RC only sells what they personally approve of. They have dropped Lawmate for poor unaddressed quality and reliability issues. RMRC is good friends with IBCrazy and one who sells his products.

The system bits and pieces are not yet all here and assembled/tested but if Alex (IBCrazy) designed it then I trust it completely. The notch filter will block anything but the band it is made for from leaving the transmitter.

If anything I ordered from them is not up to expectations RMRC stands FULLY behind it and will make it right.

Now if these were e-bay Chinese parts then I would expect all the issues you caution of.

I expect with the antennas I am building (and the SWR meter I am building as well) to have a well tuned system easily capable of 20 miles. I will test this by motor vehicle before flying. I expect to be FCC licensed this weekend.

Thurmond

Nonamerc

Arman
They say that the 900 mhz -1.3 GHz reciever has bad filtering. Look for yourself. I am not saying anything bad about readymaderc, it's the only place were I will ever buy my fpv equipment and I have told all my friends to buy from readymaderc. If you are going to fly in rural arreas you won't have a problem with the vrx but if you are going to fly closer to towns/villages your range wont be as good as with the other video receivers that they are selling.