Help! Cheap Goggles for Glasses Wearers??

Sunspot369

I had decent luck with the Quanum V2's, but my wires broke and smoked and it's all in a box in the closet. It can maybe be fixed, but not by me! I've tried the Vipers, and they work OK, but I still have to use 5x magnifier glasses like I did with the Quanums. My bifocals didn't cut it. I seem to have weird vision... But I'd rather not spend $150+ right now, being retired and poor. Something $40-$50 would be much better, I could hack the sides away if I have to do that to make the glasses fit, did that with the Quanums. I keep looking at the Eachines at Banggood. Then when I can afford the Vipers I'll have an extra pair of goggles to scare my friends with.
Any suggestions?

FDS

Elite member
You could buy the cheaper Eachine 800’s and then make the end fit over the old Quantum case. The non diversity 800 has a big screen and the whole front part comes off to function as a ground station, that might work? I got a second hand pair of 800’s for $50

Sunspot369

Thanks, FDS, I'm taking a shot at it. Banggood has them for $61, but I ordered on eBay from a place in New Jersey for $65. Summer's too short and I want to fly my Bugs 3! I know I'm not the only one with this problem, so I'll post the result here. Fingers crossed (eyes crossed too??)

FDS

Elite member
Make sure they are the ones that separate at the front. Not all the Eachine models do that.
Good luck. I am seriously tempted by the Vipers as well, I have astigmatism in my right eye and would love to wear my glasses whilst flying.

Sunspot369

Well - I was able to cut my (cheap magnifier) glasses off the frame and stuff them in the top of the unit, using a little black cloth to get them in there firmly. So I was excited - then I tried them out with my Bugs 3. Ugh. The image is pretty bad, the colors are very flat, and the range is terrible! I couldn't even make it to the end of the driveway! Keep in mind that the only other goggles I have had any luck with were the Quanum V2s, which shouldn't be a high bar today, but they were far superior to these EV 800s. And even when I tried the Vipers a while ago, I thought the Quanums were still better. So, I dunno... I think I'll just fly the nutball in the back yard and give up on FPV until I can afford something I can really use. I like to fly around the house and through the woods a little, and there is no way these will do that. I'm returning them. It was worth a shot - good thing I didn't cut them to put the glasses in....

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Well - I was able to cut my (cheap magnifier) glasses off the frame and stuff them in the top of the unit, using a little black cloth to get them in there firmly. So I was excited - then I tried them out with my Bugs 3. Ugh. The image is pretty bad, the colors are very flat, and the range is terrible! I couldn't even make it to the end of the driveway! Keep in mind that the only other goggles I have had any luck with were the Quanum V2s, which shouldn't be a high bar today, but they were far superior to these EV 800s. And even when I tried the Vipers a while ago, I thought the Quanums were still better. So, I dunno... I think I'll just fly the nutball in the back yard and give up on FPV until I can afford something I can really use. I like to fly around the house and through the woods a little, and there is no way these will do that. I'm returning them. It was worth a shot - good thing I didn't cut them to put the glasses in....

I still have my Quanum V2's and love them as a backup pair; they work great for the price. They came out with a diversity pair with a DVR for $90, and they still fit over most glasses frames, since they use the V2 body. Another option, cheaper than the Quanum Diversity goggles, would be the Fatshark Recon V2, which come with a DVR and have the option of using diopter lens plates for vision correction...

Sunspot369

I'm soured on the whole thing. I can't judge whether or not something will work for me without trying it, and I live in New Hampshire where there is nothing to try. I'm not going to order a bunch of stuff that just won't work for me. Those Fatsharks just look like more crap to me, low res images. How can I fly between trees when I can't see anytihng and it keeps cutting out? Like anytihng else, if you want anything decent you have to pay the big bucks. I even wonder if 5.8 G can provide the images I'd want. The whole industry seems pretty sketchy. Maybe someday an advancement in technology will provide something decent.

FDS

Elite member
My 800’s are on a dome antenna, not the stock one, with a 200mw output I get crystal clear video out to 300m.
Sure they are not ergonomically perfect, but aside from the slight “lining” produced by the fresnel lens I think the image is very good.
If you want low latency and a degree of flexibility in signal transmission through obstacles etc in tiny, lightweight equipment then the current system is pretty much the only option.

Sunspot369

The Quanums did work, but they were not very comfortable. With the reciever on the side, and I had to install fans - another problem, my glasses fog up quickly - they were very heavy and clunky. I fail to believe there isn't something better. If I could fix them myself I would, but it's not worth paying somebody to fix them. I tried a local club once, but that didn't work out. I enjoyed flying FPV, but something was always breaking. I need to dump a bunch of broken stuff into a box and put it up for bid for 99 cents on eBay. Maybe some day I'll try again.

FDS

Elite member
The Vipers by all accounts work very well for glasses wearers, they are on my list to buy at some point, they are still cheaper than Fatsharks.

Sunspot369

I did try the Vipers a while ago. I was hoping that at least I could use them wearing my bifocals without going to the 5x magnifier glasses, but I was disappointed when it was still blurry. With the 5x it was reasonable, about the same as what I got through the Quanums, although the image size was smaller than the Quanums. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it, but then the Vipers stopped working altogether. Oh well. The vendor was stumped when he got them back, they just died. But I guess that is what I'd have to get. And my Bugs 3 isn't the best. So I just need to drop another $500 bucks into the hobby, and that ain't happenin' right now. I do appreciate all the advice, though!
Actually, the only system that I really like the looks of is - surprise, surprise - Dji. Which I guess will just get more expensive with the tariffs...sigh... But those look perfect. For anyone. And of course FT loves them.

Last edited:

Sunspot369

Final report (probably) - I dug out a Bluebeam antenna, and it was a little better, but still cut out when I went around the house. I guess I'm one of those old-fashioned types who thinks that it should work with the provided antenna - I know, need to up the meds again, lol... Anyway, I guess i have to get Diversity for my flying environment. Which I thought might be the case. And going higher than 25mw would help, but I was getting away with it before. Oh well - I'll work on my LOS this summer...oh goody...

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
A house is a very effective signal blocker to analogue waves, it has a lot of nice metallic things and electrical fields in it. My house has 2’ thick walls made of stones, filled with lime and mud! It’s extremely good at totally blocking radio, mobile phone and RC signals. On 25mw my Fatsharks with a Furious True D V2 module won’t manage anything further than 40 ft without breaking up.
25Mw won’t cut it outside a small space in my experience, I run on between 200 and 500 always on everyth8ng except my Eachine 013.
Interesting that you had trouble with the Vipers. It’s very hard to get unbiased long term reviews on many FPV products, reviewers getting free samples all the time change their gear so often it’s hard to get a sense of what’s reliable over time.