Cheaper Extreme Packing Tape Alternative

knife-edge

So I was walking through staples the other day looking for a roll of extreme packing tape. I found it and it was 12.99. "Can't see paying that I thought to myself", so I redlaszered it and saw that the cheapest you could get it is 8.99 plus shipping online. I gave up and was about to buy the roll when I noticed that someone threw down a roll of transparent duct tape. "That is just like the extreme packing tape" I thought and redlasered that as well (as you can see i'm very cheap). I saw that at the home depot it was 5.99 so I was pleased, but I proceeded to pay 8.99 at staples just cause it would have costed me the same to get to the home depot. I have had the extreme packing tape and I would say that the duct tape is the exact same thing, if not even a little stickier. I would recommend it to anyone who can't find the extreme packing tape or can't see dropping more money for a roll with a cutting tool at the end. The Staples link for anyone who is interested is http://www.staples.com/Scotch-Transparent-Duct-Tape/product_508638. I will also post pictures of the pod I covered with this if someone wants to see it. Thanks all and go flitetest!!!!!

Here's a picture of the tape

extreme packing tape alternative.jpg

Last edited:

aiidanwings

After trying out several different kinds of tape, it seems the colored craft duct tape is the best for my use. Its stickier, more flexible, more than strong enough, and comes in cool colors.

knife-edge

After trying out several different kinds of tape, it seems the colored craft duct tape is the best for my use. Its stickier, more flexible, more than strong enough, and comes in cool colors.

Agreed on the duct tape part. I like to paint my planes so I don't really care about the color of the tape.

knife-edge

How much heavier is extreme packing tape vs regular packing tape vs this transparent duct tape?

I don't know about extreme vs. duct tape as I used all of my last role of extreme tape. I do know that packing tape weighs nothing compared to the other two. When I get home i'll measure normal packing tape vs. clear duct tape on my gram scale. Just keep a lookout for that tonight or so. I also used normal packing tape to cover my first power pod and was disappointed. It didn't hold up too long.

Keep a lookout for that,

Knife-edge

DDSFlyer

Thx knife. I am about to build the FT cruiser and don't have extreme packing tape yet and was thinking I need to get some or an equivalent instead of just 3M packing tape

DDSFlyer

I ended up buying some Scotch Duct Tape in White and a Sea Blue Duct Tape and a Bright Orange Duck Tape brand (going for Orange and Blue Florida Gator Colors) seems like the orange and blue colored duct tape are thinner than the White Duct Tape, even though the Blue and White are both from Scotch and don't have any difference in the labels. The White is a big 60yd roll and the other two are 20 and 15 yd rolls. Will see how it turns out. I plan on doing my power pods in blue and maybe an orange stripe on the top or bottom areas, then minwax and spray paint the rest of the plane

knife-edge

I ended up buying some Scotch Duct Tape in White and a Sea Blue Duct Tape and a Bright Orange Duck Tape brand (going for Orange and Blue Florida Gator Colors) seems like the orange and blue colored duct tape are thinner than the White Duct Tape, even though the Blue and White are both from Scotch and don't have any difference in the labels. The White is a big 60yd roll and the other two are 20 and 15 yd rolls. Will see how it turns out. I plan on doing my power pods in blue and maybe an orange stripe on the top or bottom areas, then minwax and spray paint the rest of the plane

Sounds like a plan. Sorry I didn't get the measurements up. I've been really backed up with work lately. Good to hear though

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
EPT is nice, but hard to beat colored packing tape for covering. The only thing I don't like about colored packing tape is how hard it is to get -- not enough to keep me from ordering it to have on hand.

For "painting" I think it does just fine:

IMG_0793-001.JPG

Notice, I do use the EPT sparingly along the leading edge and bottom (and hinges, but that's hidden) -- I try to line anything I expect to contact with terra firma with it. Everything else get's the MUCH lighter colored packing tape. I'm interested in comparing the clear duct tape to EPT.

BTW, I also make some effort to clearly distinguish top & bottom with different patterns:

IMG_0797-001.JPG

And DDS, Go Gators!

DDSFlyer

Craftydan that is some serious skill taping off those designs. I can't even get a smooth leading edge with regular packing tape! We'll see how the FT cruiser looks, might still get the extreme packing tape because I think his duct tape is gonna be way too heavy

Oh yeah...Go Gators!

knife-edge

Craftydan that is some serious skill taping off those designs. I can't even get a smooth leading edge with regular packing tape! We'll see how the FT cruiser looks, might still get the extreme packing tape because I think his duct tape is gonna be way too heavy

Oh yeah...Go Gators!

Just weighed some transparent DT. A 12x2in. Piece weighed in at 3 grams.

DDSFlyer

Just weighed some transparent DT. A 12x2in. Piece weighed in at 3 grams.

So how's that compared to the extreme packing tape? I may just build the power pods with each type and then compare. But I have to get some extreme packing tape and some foam board here in the next day or two to start building

knife-edge

Having used both, I can't see a really big difference. The only thing that I notice with the DT is that on some of the edges, the tape starts to pull off, but that's common for all tapes, even the extreme packing tape did that for me. If you do buy both definitely let me as well as other's know how you compare them. My final verdict though is the extreme packing tape is not worth the extra money.

DDSFlyer

Well just and update. I did buy extreme packing tape, and IT IS expensive compared to the duct tape. The extreme packing tape cost me $13 (prob could've gotten it cheaper but still), the duct tape cost $3-5. With the cheaper smaller rolls being the blue and orange rolls and the more expensive being a large roll of white duct tape. I will most definitely not be buying extreme packing tape again because the amount of duct tape I have I prob won't run out!
So I have a postage scale that measured in ounces and weighed out 12" of each tape and all were comparable ~0.1 ounces but I'm not sure how accurate that scale is since that was the lightest it would measure.
As for comparing them all, thickness is about the same. It's almost the consistency that differs. The extreme packing tape feels like packing tape. The different colored duct tape is like duct tape - stretchy, rubbery feeling with fibers, but really really thin duct tape. This is the reason I think the weight isn't a big deal between the two. It really is thin compared to original duct tape.
Anyways just thought I'd et everyone know my experience here. I combined both types of tapes for my scratch build FT cruiser and will post pics when im done.

Tightknot

Check out dollar store cellophane gift wrap applied with spray adhesive as a covering. Takes two people to do a good wrinkle free job. You have metallic colors and chrome silver or transparent colors. Make sure you glue the colored side down.

knife-edge

Well just and update. I did buy extreme packing tape, and IT IS expensive compared to the duct tape. The extreme packing tape cost me $13 (prob could've gotten it cheaper but still), the duct tape cost $3-5. With the cheaper smaller rolls being the blue and orange rolls and the more expensive being a large roll of white duct tape. I will most definitely not be buying extreme packing tape again because the amount of duct tape I have I prob won't run out!
So I have a postage scale that measured in ounces and weighed out 12" of each tape and all were comparable ~0.1 ounces but I'm not sure how accurate that scale is since that was the lightest it would measure.
As for comparing them all, thickness is about the same. It's almost the consistency that differs. The extreme packing tape feels like packing tape. The different colored duct tape is like duct tape - stretchy, rubbery feeling with fibers, but really really thin duct tape. This is the reason I think the weight isn't a big deal between the two. It really is thin compared to original duct tape.
Anyways just thought I'd et everyone know my experience here. I combined both types of tapes for my scratch build FT cruiser and will post pics when im done.

Check out dollar store cellophane gift wrap applied with spray adhesive as a covering. Takes two people to do a good wrinkle free job. You have metallic colors and chrome silver or transparent colors. Make sure you glue the colored side down.

Good to hear ddsflyer. I agree and will not be using the extreme pt any more. I am going to maiden my ft spit probably next weekend and will let you know how the tape held up on the wings. I think it will be fine though. As for the dollar store cellophane gift wrap, I have used that to cover some guillows rc conversions with the spray adhesive and must say that it is much easier and cheaper to use than just monokote. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I will have to get started on another conversion soon now that I have an airbrush to do camo with.

AdamV

I know this is a super old post, but Dan, (or anyone) how do you get smooth curves with your packing tape (that are symmetrical on both sides?!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I know this is a super old post, but Dan, (or anyone) how do you get smooth curves with your packing tape (that are symmetrical on both sides?!

I cheat.

I lay each strip up to the leading edge and cut it there, then I lay a single strip down the length of the LE covering the seam. As for "smooth" go slow and keep the tape as tight as you can.

AdamV

ohh, i think the curves i was seeing in tape were actually layers for the airfoil in different colors. (still, nice job!)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Oh. *THAT'S* what you meant by curves. Yeah, that's a KFM step.

I have done other shapes on flat surfaces with tape, but it's a pain -- I put "bubbles (as my wife calls them ) on my Calypso wing with tape. Generally I have to pre-layer the tape, then draw the shape (compass/French curve/template). I'll then carefully trim it on the foam with an exacto knife tip (SHALLOW cut -- damage the foam as little as possible). If the rest of the space is filled with another color, getting that seam to line up is tricky and generally requires a mask in between that the tape doesn't stick well to, like acetate -- cut in place then peal off the acetate and stick down. The two-layers looks nice from the air . . . not so much up close.