Cherry Bomb

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Here is another balsa to foam conversion. Balsa plans from Outerzone. Original article in RCM. Foam plans by me.

Cherry Bomb.jpg
View attachment Cherry_Bomb-RCM-10-81_850.pdf
View attachment Cherry Bomb Foam Plans V0.2.pdf

This flew with two 5g servos and the 1806 from the FT "A" power pack. I used a 5x4.5 DAL BN V2 prop and a 500mah 2S and 3S battery.

If you decide to try one and have any questions, let me know.

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
"That's AWESOME"

You said it. That is an awesome little airplane. Probably a little too awesome for my reflexes. My reaction time is more slow fly speed. I have a hunch this foamy conversion is going to catch on. It really rips along with the power pack A motor.

Jon

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
It is an awesome little plane. Much to my surprise, it is smooth and fluid. Not twitchy at all. I did not use any rates or expo for those flights. I did use the lowest mechanical settings, closest hole to center on the servo arm and furthest hole from the hinge on the control horn.

The elevator is the original size and it is responsive. I feared that it would be too small and ineffective. But it worked out well.

I did change the size of the ailerons to keep the wing tip a little more solid. The ailerons could be smaller, but they work as they are. If anyone builds this, they will have to make a judgement call on how they want to make the ailerons.

If I build another one, I will also add the rudder, at it's original size.

In the end, it is not an intimidating plane to fly.

jpot1

Elite member
Do you think this could take a turnigy d2826/6 2200kv motor with a 3s 1300mah battery?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Do you think this could take a turnigy d2826/6 2200kv motor with a 3s 1300mah battery?

IMG_2282.JPG
IMG_2283.JPG

You could get away with it by eliminating the power pod and using the transferable firewall mounting technique. That would free up space for the 40A ESC. The 1300mah battery will fit into the fuselage when it is on it's side. I think it is worth a try.

If you give it a try, let us know how it goes.

jpot1

Elite member
Thanks TEAJR66. Printed the plans at 100% and 120%. I already use a shortened pod, looks similar to yours that measures 1.5" height and width. On the 100% scale looks like I wouldn't have enough height at the front. May just make things a little taller and then match the curve of the fuselage. Cutting tonight and will update the thread.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Thanks TEAJR66. Printed the plans at 100% and 120%. I already use a shortened pod, looks similar to yours that measures 1.5" height and width. On the 100% scale looks like I wouldn't have enough height at the front. May just make things a little taller and then match the curve of the fuselage. Cutting tonight and will update the thread.

The pod in the one pictured is a regular FT mini power pod with 1/2" cut off the back end to make it shorter.

I am very interested to see how the 120% turns out.

I am working on a 40" wingspan version of it to be flown on the "C" power pack. Not sure how far I will get on it before Flite Fest. It is a low priority project and I am just tinkering with it for now.

At the moment, I am happy with this one and flying it every opportunity I get.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

jpot1

Elite member
Well ended up at 115% in order to keep the wing able to fit on a single sheet. With my larger power pod I cannot double up the fuse and further had to slightly notch the wing for the pod to fit. Without doubling the fuse a 1300 mah battery will fit but things get very crowded. Also my esc will end up exposed and susceptible to impact on landing.

TEAJR66, it looks like you went with a single servo for the ailerons. Since I only have 9g they are too deep and have to sit further back so the angle is off. I'm thinking of recessing them in the wing. Not sure if I am trying to cram too much in. The 40" span you mention is probably just what I'm looking for.

Pics of what I mentioned so far.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I may try making the fuse deeper to give some protection for the esc and battery kind of like the bloody baron. Can you add a picture of the top so I can better see your servo placement?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
It looks good. You should be able to put the ESC inside the pod. Then, after everything is mounted, use the battery to find the cg. Once you have the battery location, cut a hole in the bottom of the wing and recess the battery. 9g servos recessed in the wings should not be a problem.

You could save some space by ditching the pod and putting the firewall straight to the fuselage. Or use this technique.
http://flitetest.com/articles/transferable-adjustable-firewall-mounting

Either way, what you have is looking good. I am pretty sure that once you get everything crammed in there somewhere, you will enjoy the way that plane fly's.

jpot1

Elite member
Rebuilt and widened the fuse by 10mm so I could add the doublers only to realize the error of my ways. I did an A fold instead of B previously which is why I had a problem. Kept going, recessed out the servos in the wing. You can sort of see that in the second picture. I also made the fuse ~5mm taller to give me a little more room.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Need to attach elevator servo and figure where to mount everything for balance. 1300 mah battery fits no problem now. One question, the elevator looks really small. Anything to be worried about?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Rebuilt and widened the fuse by 10mm so I could add the doublers only to realize the error of my ways. I did an A fold instead of B previously which is why I had a problem. Kept going, recessed out the servos in the wing. You can sort of see that in the second picture. I also made the fuse ~5mm taller to give me a little more room.

View attachment 71294

View attachment 71295

Need to attach elevator servo and figure where to mount everything for balance. 1300 mah battery fits no problem now. One question, the elevator looks really small. Anything to be worried about?

I was fearful once I had it built and saw the size of the elevator. Not an issue at all. Plenty of authority and it is very responsive. You should have no issues.

jpot1

Elite member
Got everything to fit by cutting out a small amount of the wing. Balances perfectly with a 1300 mah battery. To be safe using another skewer to keep the battery secured. Maiden hopefully Friday or Saturday.

image.jpeg

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Got everything to fit by cutting out a small amount of the wing. Balances perfectly with a 1300 mah battery. To be safe using another skewer to keep the battery secured. Maiden hopefully Friday or Saturday.

View attachment 71358

Awesome! I am looking forward to the flight report. Take pics and vid if possible.

jpot1

Elite member
Maiden this morning. Quite the handful. For my piloting skills the heavier motor and battery were a bit much. Launching was "fun" as there was quit a bit of torque roll. Due to the weight it flew best at about 3/4 throttle. Had low rates and quite a bit of expo and once was up was zipping around quite nicely. Was not floaty at low speeds like you describe TEAJR66 but I think it was all the extra weight I had. Looking forward to the full size and hoping you are able to post plans for it. Thanks!

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I'm glad to hear that it flew. I expected it to be a handful with the weight. Did you get any video?

You can set it aside and come back to it when you want something zippy.

As far as duplicating the flight performance I got, stick with the "A" sized power pack and 500mah 2S-3S.

When I get the Cherry Bomb 40 complete, I will let you know. I can say that it won't be till after Flite Fest. Pretty full plate between now and then.

Thanks for giving it a try. Were there any issues with the plans? Any feedback about how the build went is appreciated.

jpot1

Elite member
No video, it was just me this morning and I don't have the right equipment. I was using the motor and battery I had on hand. May go smaller if FT keeps putting out all the cool mini planes.

My only issue was getting the wing through the fuselage. It may be because I went 115% on the plans to get my battery to fit. Just took a little extra cutting here and there and then wiggling the wing.

BTW I did find a 39" wingspan set of plans on Rc groups. It does not have the airfoil wing but because of that and the larger size the of the plans there is a hatch on top to fit all the electronics and battery. It also seals up the bottom which would be nice for belly landings. May look into that in the future.

Thanks for the great work on these plans.

Jason